FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What solvents are safe to use on the FS2000? I know its polymer and tends to not melt when solvents are applied but I would still prefer a good answer. Hoppes #9 powder solvent and Clp okay to use?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've heard Ballistol is a good choice for polymer based firearms. It's vegetable oil based and non-toxic, so it should be perfectly safe for FN firearms. If I recall correctly, I think one of my owner's manuals even recommended it.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Isnt CLP known as break free?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys you are awesome. I never thought I would get five replies before bed on the same day. I figured CLP for the plastic and Hoppes for the barrel, bolt, and piston. Honestly I don't have my rifle yet its being shipped in from a distributor in Texas but I promise to post pics up this weekend or next week whenever I get it. FS2000 Standard here I come woot! I was getting an MSAR but they changed the flash hider from the classic "tulip"
look to a new one without informing the populous. I don't like manufacturers that change there product without updating there web sight. So I got an FN instead. Won't be my first FN product. I purchased an FN Hi-Power 9mm about a year ago and absolutely loved it. The fit and finish was amazing for the price. 2.2k for a rifle is really pushing it but if I like it, I'll get a PS90 as well 8)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Im old school, i like Hoops and rem oil. I got break free from buds and wasnt impressed, took 3x longer to clean!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Im old school, i like Hoops and rem oil. I got break free from buds and wasnt impressed, took 3x longer to clean!
Rem Oil gives me a headache and makes me lightheaded if I use it indoors. I used it for years, however - until I found Breakfree CLP. It has a smell - but it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've found Weapon Shield to be far, far superior to Break Free.

Think of Weapon Shield as CLP version 8.0.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I still have my sample of Weapon Shield. I was going to try it when I ran out of CLP. BUt, I let someone try out my PS90 and Five Seven last Dec, and for my time, he gave me a bottle of CLP. So, I still haven't run out :lol:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Im really tempted to try it out Weapon shield. I just havent been satisfied with other all in one cleaners yet :cry:

·
Registered
265 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Im really tempted to try it out Weapon shield. I just havent been satisfied with other all in one cleaners yet :cry:

As a cleaner, it's decent, but it won't compete with a dedicated solvent like Hoppes #9 or Shooter's Choice Bore Solvent, but it's also much more gentle to you and the gun.

As a lube, it's out-freaking-standing.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea, this is very tempting, im probably going to order some. I guess im just used to how quickly hopps cleans my guns vs. CLP. Its appeared to be a great lubricator though. About once every 3 trips to the range, i get my guns cleaned by the sonic clean and then they put it in an oil bath and they do an awesome job but it comes with a price ($15).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Templar said:
iCeMaN said:

As a cleaner, it's decent, but it won't compete with a dedicated solvent like Hoppes #9 or Shooter's Choice Bore Solvent, but it's also much more gentle to you and the gun.

As a lube, it's out-freaking-standing.
I agree, its very good stuff. I need to get around to ordering a jug of it soon.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I wish i could get a larger quantity of Hopps :cry:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Hmmm....i havent seen any yet but that means nothing on the WWW. Do you know where to get that for a decent price?

·
Registered
265 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Hmmm....i havent seen any yet but that means nothing on the WWW. Do you know where to get that for a decent price?
Quick trip over to Brownell's.....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9806&title=HOPPE'S%20No.%209

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Thats what im talking about! Thanks! :?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts