FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when the PS90s first hit there was talk that the coating on the ammo was needed for the PS90 to function reliably and that after a few reloadings we'd begin to see function issues.

Has any of that turned out to be the case?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have heard that too - and haven't yet heard anyone give evidence that countermands that... Not yet, anyway....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have reloaded many rounds for my PS90 but it was all once used brass so far, and still had plenty of the coating on it.

I didn't tumble them clean, just washed them in simple green and dried for a few weeks (cause I forgot they were in the garage lol).

So far they have all functioned fine, I've shot only 50-60 of them.

Just wondered if anyone had seen the longer term impact of losing the coating.

I guess I may be the first to find out since I am going to shoot the rest of my reloads this weekend and start the brass on it's third trip through.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have some brass thats been reloaded either 8 or 9 times and isnt having any problem . I havent washed or tumbled it and all seems to still have the poly coating intact. I use the hornady lube you rub on with your fingers thats mostly lanolin , I was afraid the oil based lubes might soften the coating .

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did want to point out that the all my reloads are light enough that I am getting fowling back on most of the case indicating that my cases are not fully expanding to fill the camber so the poly coating present or not really wont make any difference . The point of the coating is to allow the bolt to start opening while there is considerable chamber pressure present so I guess if your running full bore loads you will start to see some extraction issues as the poly coating wears

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering about the coating thing...

Since I'll mostly be using my (soon to be) PS90 will be used for carbine matches, I think reloads, even lighter, will work fine.

Since I already have everything but shell holders and dies to reload, getting into 5.7 reloading won't be much of a cost to me. I'll have to keep an eye out for recipes here. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts