FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was out shooting my 17s today and doing the 50 round 5 shot barrel break in. I had the rifle and ammo (PMC Nato) out in the cold 18 degree weather for about an hour as I was shooting the 5 shot groups. I noticed that on the last 15 rounds the rifle would not lock to the rear after the last round from the magazine was fired, and also the rifle would not always strip a new round from the magazine, it also had trouble fully going into battery if it did manage to get a new round from the magazine. I figured the rifle was short stroking but am wondering what would cause this? Is it because the cartridges performance would have been diminished from being in the cold for an hour? During the first 35 rounds there was no problem with the rifle functioning. I have the BCG lubed with the EWL grease. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that is really odd. i went out twice in the past 2 days and have put 125 rounds through it with temps 5-7 deg. up to 20mph winds. ppu 145gr ammo and 150 gr.hand loads. not one malfunction from mine. also I'm pleased to note as I was putting mine on paper there was no group stringing from hot to cold barrel and I made 1 3/8" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds. from a bench w bipod in these conditions.
I use militec-1 sparingly for lube.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Lubricant's get thicker when temp drops. Grease is going to get thick. Try a synthetic oil.

Reactions: AVERAGE_JO

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not all grease is bad in the cold, if you like grease look into TW25B. It is lighter viscosity than most other greases I have used and is stable from -90 F to +450 F according to their test specs. I have used it on multiple rifles and pistols in temps well below freezing (with several hours of cold soak) and it has always worked perfectly.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not all grease is bad in the cold, if you like grease look into TW25B. It is lighter viscosity than most other greases I have used and is stable from -90 F to +450 F according to their test specs. I have used it on multiple rifles and pistols in temps well below freezing (with several hours of cold soak) and it has always worked perfectly.

Nice SCAR rig you have there.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I use EWG believe that is what you're referencing and haven't had a problem in cold weather. EWG is a "light" grease, Literature says works between -100 to +750. I also use the Slip 2000 EWL oil and other than the products are expensive found them to perform very well. I don't think EWG is the problem. Brett B that is a very nice Rig and wish I was there with you!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Oils and lube are aweful in cold weather, I've been just south of the arctic circle for the past 3 years and in the winter, I'll run the rifles as dry as possible at cold temps pretty much anything below 0. The SCAR is awesome up here as it runs very well with little/no lube for hundreds of rounds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts