FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fully 55 of the 62 sheriffs that serve in Colorado have outright refused to enforce the state’s new gun laws — the requirement for universal background checks and the ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds.
They say the laws are unconstitutional and too vague. The Daily Mail reported that Sheriff John Cooke of Weld County is one vocal opponent leading the rebel call, characterizing the laws as direct violations of Second Amendment rights.
[HR][/HR]SPECIAL COVERAGE: Second Amendment and Gun Control

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Gotta love Leo's that do it under oath, for the good of the people, constitution, and country. They know it was a circus act and written so poorly as a political side show. Good for them for using their heads and not and following blindly.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Gotta love Leo's that do it under oath, for the good of the people, constitution, and country. They know it was a circus act and written so poorly as a political side show. Good for them for using their heads and not and following blindly.

I agree, but fear there will be 55 replaced sheriffs with yes men.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I agree, but fear there will be 55 replaced sheriffs with yes men.
Aren't sheriffs elected officials? If so it would be up to Colorado citizens to replace them, not state government.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Sheriffs are elected and the only persons under the constitution who have the authority to conduct law enforcement activities the sheriff is the highest governmental authority in his county. Within that jurisdiction – inside his county – the sheriff has more power than the governor of his state. Indeed, the sheriff has more power in his county than the President of the United States. In his county, he can overrule the President and kick his people out. Remember, the President has few and limited powers, designed for foreign affairs.

I have to find it in the constitution, I think it is in article II.

·
Administrator
11,357 Posts
At least you guys in Colorado that have these sheriffs know that they will not do any thing that violates the constitution as THEY see it. Wonder how they will react when DHS comes in to remove them for not following duly passed law, whether constitutional or not?

·
Registered
409 Posts
At least you guys in Colorado that have these sheriffs know that they will not do any thing that violates the constitution as THEY see it. Wonder how they will react when DHS comes in to remove them for not following duly passed law, whether constitutional or not?
Interesting since this administration does not bother following the law when it comes to illegals.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I think it is interesting that the same people who justify the POTUS not enforcing Immigration and Obamacare laws because it within his discretion as Chief Executive are first in line to criticize Sherriff's who choose to exercise their law enforcement discretion when enforcing gun laws.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Although I am happy about this....my sheriff still refuses to sign off on form 1 and form 4 documents. He says that civilians do not need those types of items. Does he realize he himself is a civilian? He doesn't want to infringe the 2nd amendment yet will not sign off on items that are 100% legal for us to own. Its bull**** he is a hypocrite

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Although I am happy about this....my sheriff still refuses to sign off on form 1 and form 4 documents. He says that civilians do not need those types of items. Does he realize he himself is a civilian? He doesn't want to infringe the 2nd amendment yet will not sign off on items that are 100% legal for us to own. Its bull**** he is a hypocrite
It's my understanding that one of the benefits to setting up a trust is that you don't need signature from chief LEO.

Reactions: 57FNatic

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Is your sheriff one of the 55 who won't enforce the new laws?

If so that is pretty odd, it shouldn't take many logical arguments to convince someone who is fine with 100rd magazines and private transfers that suppressors for instance are useless in crime but beneficial to any shooter, people who live near outdoor ranges, etc.

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When Law Enforcement Defies the LawIn my view, most laws currently on the books that restrict the ability of Americans to purchase, own or carry firearms are unconstitutional. When states like Colorado pass laws that further encroach on the rights of their citizens, something has to be done. But who can take a peaceful stand against the state, defy their edicts and protect the citizenry from illegal laws?

The Sheriff can.
The Sheriff is arguably the ultimate law enforcement authority in the country, and certainly within their own counties. They have the power to tell the federal government to “not in my county” and can refuse to enforce illegal laws passed by over zealous law makers — and some do just that.

There are 62 elected Sheriff’s in the state of Colorado and when the state legislature recently passed anti-gun bills, all but 7 of them took a stand. They joined ranks and filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the new laws. Even more inspiring were the actions of Sheriff John Cooke of Weld County, Colorado. Sheriff Cooke stood before the media this weekend and announced he would not enforce recently passed laws banning magazines over 15 rounds and requiring background checks between private parties wishing to transfer firearms.

Sheriff Cooke is not alone. Other Sheriff’s in his state have taken the same stand and are refusing to enforce the laws which they deem to be illegal under the Constitution.

Such acts of defiance by law enforcement aren’t unique to Colorado, Sheriff’s across the nation are taking similar stands against tyranny. Two Sheriff’s in New York have vowed not to enforce their states recently enacted anti-gun laws. This has prompted Governor Cuomo to say their actions set “a dangerous and frightening precedent”. You’re darn right it sets a frightening precedent! These brave men are putting politicians such as Cuomo on notice by executing their duty to uphold the Constitution of the United States. This probably keeps tyrants such as Cuomo up at night, as it should.

Sheriff’s have been busy defending liberty all across the nation, even in places like California where a delegation of Sheriff’s urged Governor Brown to veto pending anti-gun bills that were passed by the state legislature. One of the measures passed was an outright ban on semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines! The Sheriff’s persuaded Brown to veto the ban on semi-automatic firearms, however they were unsuccessful in convincing him to veto the law banning lead ammunition for hunting. Still, if it weren’t for the actions of these Sheriff’s, things could have been far worse for gun owners in the earthquake state.

Often times we get caught up in federal elections and think that if we can put the right person in the White House everything will suddenly improve nationwide. I would argue the occupant of the White House is less important than the occupant of your State Capital or the occupant of your Sheriff’s office.

The next time you’re voting for your local Sheriff, make sure you know where they stand on our rights. They could wind up being your strongest ally in defending your rights against lawmakers run a muck.

When Law Enforcement Defies the Law | The Bang Switch

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Is your sheriff one of the 55 who won't enforce the new laws?

If so that is pretty odd, it shouldn't take many logical arguments to convince someone who is fine with 100rd magazines and private transfers that suppressors for instance are useless in crime but beneficial to any shooter, people who live near outdoor ranges, etc.
Yeah Douglas county sheriff weaver...and I agree 100%

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sheriffs across US refuse to enforce tougher gun laws
Sheriffs across the United States are refusing to implement new gun control laws passed by state legislatures, according to a report by the New York Times.

The numbers are particularly high in Colorado, where the majority of sheriffs have come out against the state’s new gun laws, including provisions requiring background checks for private gun sales and the banning of magazines over 15 rounds. Fifty-five of the state’s 62 elected sheriffs joined a federal lawsuit filed in May arguing the new laws are unconstitutional.
Even for some of those that didn’t sign onto the lawsuit, enforcement of Colorado’s new gun restrictions isn’t high on their list of priorities.

“All law enforcement agencies consider the community standards — what is it that our community wishes us to focus on — and I can tell you our community is not worried one whit about background checks or high-capacity magazines,” said Sheriff W. Pete Palmer of Chaffee County, Colorado, to the Times.

Last month, a federal judge ruled the sheriffs did not have standing to sue as a group, but that the court would still rule on the Constitutionality of the laws in question.

Regardless of the outcome, Colorado Department of public Safety Spokesman Lance Clem told the Times that when it comes to enforcing the law, sheriffs have significant latitude to make their own decisions.

“We’re not in the position of telling sheriffs and chiefs what to do or not to do,” he said. “We have people calling us all the time, thinking they’ve got an issue with their sheriff, and we tell them we don’t have the authority to intervene.”

More: Sheriffs across US refuse to enforce tougher gun laws ? RT USA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts