FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like it! :shock:

Colt had a nice list of new products at the 2008 AUSA show. Specifically, they have incorporated their own gas piston design into the AR. It is unique in that the piston system is very close to the receiver rather than the front sight assembly, which should prevent malfunctions and strengthen the piston rod itself. They are calling the new operating system “Advanced Carbines.” This picture illustrates their new IAR (Infantry Automatic Rifle) model. As you should notice, the upper receiver and handguard is crafted from one piece of aluminum, making it stronger by removing a source of inconsistency. By creating this, Colt has now bought into the “monolithic rail platform” trend. It looks heavy duty up front. Jeffrey Radziwon, Colt’s marketing supervisor, stated that this gun is designed to challenge the FN M249 SAW (Squad Automatic Rifle), which is currently in use. As you should also notice, there is a GripPod vertical forgrip that releases a mechanical bipod that was recently procured by the Marines (225,000 contract) and the U.S. Army (Multi-Million contract). This rifle also features the Magpul PMAG that has grown in popularity. This model has a little window that reveals when the magazine is near max capacity or closer to empty. Radziwon also noted that they have chosen to incorporate the ambi magazine release seen on this one. A VLTOR clubfoot stock brings up the rear.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Looks cool. What I'm confused about is, why do they want to go to a gun that only has a 30rd mag when they have a gun that has a 200rd belt? Isn't this essentialy a carbine/rifle that every other grunt has? I thought the whole purpose of the belt fed LMG (like the SAW) was to have a large capacity for suppressive fire. I don't get it. In my eyes, the SAW will always win that battle (yeah, I know they have 100rd drum mags this thing could take, but so could an M4 or 416, or SCAR-L)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I saw this on Future Weapons earlier this year and scoffed at it for the same reason already mentioned. Only thing I can see it more effective for is that it is potentially lighter than the saw, does not need a barrel change in the middle of combat (just putting that one out there), and more than likely take any mags from those around you vs belt fed weapon out of ammo. Though the M249 can take M-16 mags, its not recommend for long term use.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ummmm.... :evil: ...... :roll:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Your response didn't confuse me....that wasn't directed at you at all. I doubt civilians would be able to have something nice like this.... My apologies :?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your right on that part of us not owning it, however I would like to see the system Colt has available for say "upgrading" Ar-15 based on thier system. Would it make them cooler firing, and less problems with build up?

·
Registered
102 Posts
From my understanding, there are currently two IAR. This one and one made by LWRC was the one shown on Future Weapons. The main difference between this and other M4's is that it can fire from both the bolt open or bolt closed (normal) position. if a reliable, cool, high rate of fire is what you are after, then firing from the open bolt position may be what you want. Its meant to have suppressive capabilities, then transform into your standard M4. again, im not a grunt, just what i can figure out from the engineers that designed it.

heres the future weapons link:

just ignore all of his dramatic overtones

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting. I guess the proof is in the shooting when it comes to the IAR concept.

At least Colt seems to realize a QD barrel is a must for a gun of this type. Who knows what LWRC is thinking...

·
Registered
61 Posts
dtheman said:
What does LWRC utilize?
Nothing.

Changing the barrel requires an armorer. Which means once you cook the barrel, the marine holding the IAR would have no weapon other than a sidearm, or have to replace the upper completely.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can see that LWRC is not going to win the contract with this single issue. Being new to the whole scene of shooting (about 2 years now) I'm behind on information, but from my fathers stories from Vietnam even I know that guys will swap out barrels on the squad guns quite regularly when needed.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So is the change barrel procedure tooless on the Colt IAR? Simular to the Bushmaster ACR?

·
Registered
61 Posts
devildoc said:
So is the change barrel procedure tooless on the Colt IAR? Simular to the Bushmaster ACR?
It's more like Robinson XCR with a single retention bolt that secures at the trunion on the underside of the rail. Based upon my XCR experiances that means rebarrels will take about 15 seconds if you do it fast.

The ACR method wouldnt be good on the IAR because it requires you to remove the entire handguard/Rail to get to the QD system, plus the piston assembly is affixed to the barrel itself, which I always thought was a stupid idea personally. All that does is make the barrels more complex to make, and more expensive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
devildoc said:
Thanks Aimpointed, Any idea when Colt will make these available?
Probably never. The role of the IAR just doesnt fit with NFA laws, and is very military application oriented. I suppose Colt could release a semi version, but its unlikely and I personally wouldnt see the point. It wouldnt be an IAR then

Also Colt doesnt sell their new designs to civilians only. Where is the Colt M5 and Colt LE1020 for example.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts