FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an exercise, but what do you all think about this method of blocking off the "evil" features? Fasteners fit into existing holes.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Looks dangerous. Only place to hold on is the trigger!

Honestly i dont care for it one bit. You should put the upper back on and take a pic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It'll work, did the front really have to be blocked off? After all it is the triggerguard not a grip. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I didn't know thumb hole stocks were ever an evil feature. Pistol grips were. Or am I missing something?

TA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate all of them. I will find some screws that will flush with the new panels.

Actually, when shouldered it doesn't feel bad at all. I have seen posts regarding filling in the thumbhole and the lengths of one's fingers. Long and skinny=OK, short-stubby=not so good. Try it, just run your thumb parallel to the stock and wrap your fingers around as usual. Maybe a ledge to rest your thumb on?

I don't have the action here to mount for a picture. You see, in this state(think left coast) I can't assemble it... yet.

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
:D That might work for Kalifornistan. Thumbhole stocks are illegal there. They would have to be permenantly attached to prevent removal though.
Good idea for the outcast states!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can see how it would work. I think you did a nice looking job on the front part. I imagine you will have to cap off the mag at 10?
If you used a material that looked like wood you would have an even less threatening, surf city, 'woody', looking thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Promoted Pawn said:
I can see how it would work. I think you did a nice looking job on the front part. I imagine you will have to cap off the mag at 10?
If you used a material that looked like wood you would have an even less threatening, surf city, 'woody', looking thing.
If you paint the stock pink, it would be right at home in San Francisco. :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily, there has been some clarification on the "permanent" attachement and the AG has said that the feature, e.g. fixed magazine, has to take some time and a tool to remove.

I am going to replace the panels with some textured ABS I picked up. The stuff that is on there is cut from a 72-cent Home Depot flower pot.(and looks it)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it looks reasonably good for a prototype, especially if it will allow you to assemble the gun. Really though, you should think about moving to more gun friendly state, take your figurative ball and move the game elsewhere. You don't have to put up with that crap.

·
Registered
120 Posts
septo said:
Really though, you should think about moving to more gun friendly state, take your figurative ball and move the game elsewhere. You don't have to put up with that crap.
+1. Move to a state where you're a citizen and not a subject.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Great mod for CA. :D

Don't forget that you need to add 4" to the overall length of the PS-90.

CA assault weapon laws require semi-auto rifles to have an overall length greater than 30".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 4+ inch extension is on the way from Critical Dimensions. Should be here tomorrow or the next day. I am also modding the magazine release so that it requires the use of a tool to remove the magazine. If my reading of the regs and other postings are correct, the other evil features will be irrelevant then. I will post a new pic soon. With the extended stock attached, I can start work on the flash hider.

So once this is all done, how does one actually confirm that the mods pass muster? A firearm's attorney's letter to the CA DOJ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the template for my maglock. This was the first unit, hand cut and is 1cm too wide at the point where it says 39mm. The numbers are correct and this rides above the magazine catch. This is being released in the wild for you to use, modify and install. If you don't wish to modify your original, the spare part is only $2 from FN. Just cut off the finger grips and mill/sand it flat. Use the thickest metal you can fit between the stock and catch. Sorry about the picture sizes, but better to have too much detail than not enough. All are about 220k each

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are two more that show the orientation of the maglock. When the magazine is inserted, it just clips in place like normal. To remove, from above insert a thin plastic card between the stock and magazine. Push down and pull the magazine out. I probably didn't have to bend the ears out and around the stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here's the whole rifle with maglock, blocking plates and stock extension. Total cost <$20 plus the Critical Dimension stock extension. Does it look any better?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts