FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what companys make compact 1911 .45's? I think I want one,more.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
How small? When you get below 4" barrels on a 1911 - it can be hit or miss. SOme people have them and they work 100% - some never get them working right. There can be timing issues...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kind of thinking of a sis or another kimber that I cant think of the name right now, but I'm not sure of other options.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Have U looked at that EMP by Springfield?

Kimber's quality can be hit or miss sometimes - I had issues with an aluminum framed 1911 from them a few years ago. And, I had a friend with 3 different Kimbers, and not 1 would feed JHP reliably. Honestly - for a small 1911, I'd look at something besides a Kimber - as small 1911s already have a penchant for having "issues." Just my 2 cents...

I looked at the fullsize SIS - but ended up getting a MC Operator from Springfield instead (about 6 weeks ago)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I like some of the springfield 3.5" ultra compacts, an experiance with those?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I have never owned one - and, all brands make some lemons. But between Kimber and Springfield - I'd get the Springfield.

That Dan Wesson CBOB is nice - but it's a 4.25 inch barrel...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I think I'm going to go with a commander size.there are more available than I thought.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Lets see compact 3" 45's.

Well theres the Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra CDP II, Kimber Ultra Carry II, Para Ord. PXT Carry and Covert, Springfield 1911 defender, Springfield Micr compact 1911-A1, and the STI Ranger II LS.

Of these I have The Colt Defender and at 15 yards its dead on. :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I was looking at getting the Dan Wesson bobtail at first - but now I'm selling 2 guns, and am trying to decide which of the semi-custom brands I want (and if I want a 4 or 5" gun). The Kobra Karry is sweet - but also expensive.

But, mine will just be a range toy. If I was actually going to carry a 1911, I'd probably get an EMP... (still, its a $1k gun).

But, I prefer polymer guns to carry - so I don't have to worry as much about rust

·
Registered
265 Posts
I will beat you like a red headed step child.

(cdunn is a friend of mine I've known for years, so I can talk to him like this.

I fully expect a phone call.......... :lol: )

1911 systems with barrels less than 4 1/4" usually have a much higher chance of having reliablity issues.

If you want a compact .45 ACP, I'd look very hard at the new M&P Compact, or the HK 45C.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was waiting for that.I'm looking at at least a 4" springfield has some nice ones.but so does kimber,and colt, I'll do a little research before I descide.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rock Island makes a compact tactical 1911. Very nice, esp. considering the price.

However, one that I always wanted was a Star Firestar in 45. 1911 basic design, but no grip safety. Small package but heavy - solid steel.

Local shop has one on the shelf with 5 extra mags for *$250* out the door... too bad I'm poor...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If your going with a 4" barrel, in other words a medium sized frame, I'd look at the Colt Combat Commander. Springfield also make a CMDR size 1911 that is really nice. A word of advice from a guy that has a series 80 Colt Combat Commander. Wilson combat makes a full length guide and spring kit with 18 and 20 lbs recoil springs w/buffer pads. They are well worth the cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well as of today I'm the proud owner of a sw 1911pd, going shooting sunday.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Templar said:
I will beat you like a red headed step child.

(cdunn is a friend of mine I've known for years, so I can talk to him like this.

I fully expect a phone call.......... :lol: )

1911 systems with barrels less than 4 1/4" usually have a much higher chance of having reliablity issues.

If you want a compact .45 ACP, I'd look very hard at the new M&P Compact, or the HK 45C.
I have a friend that has a kimber 1911 compact that has had one issue resulting in him having to ship it off and they sent him a new gun. I would get a H&K .45c or USP .45C :) Can't beat those!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, what can I say.its great, shot about 400 rds. give or take, no problems,not near as much recoil as I was planning on.I cant get over the weight or how sturdy it feels.I am very pleased with my descision.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts