FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a .38 Special +P revolver in the next couple of months, and would like some input. If only I had not sold my Detective Special! :(

I have narrowed my list to four candidates. the S&W 438 or 638, and the Taurus 851 UL or 851 ULT. If you guys have any experience with these guns or have other thoughts they would be appreciated.

Oh by the way, I am also considering the new Ruger LCR as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Almost 40 years ago, I bought a M38 Bodyguard. It has thousands of rds including more +ps than recommended thru it. It's still tight and shoots good. Bought a Taurus 651 few years ago because I wanted an all steel 357 version of the Bodyguard and didn't have $ for SW. The Taurus has been ok, shoots very accurate with 158+pLHP but don't think it would hold up to much 357 shooting. Don't think the Taurus would be in as good a shape as the SW if it had been shot as much. Never needed Taurus service but what I've heard hasn't been good. I'd recommend the SW even though it's more $....if you get one w/o the "lock".

·
Registered
4,907 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have the S&W 642.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys -- the more the better. If I do purchase the LCR I will let you all know about it. By the way, what is the deal with the lock on the new S&W J-frames? I have heard so negative comment on it, but I have not heard why. :-?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have certainly been leaning toward the LCR. The release date is supposed to be on March 1, but my dealer doesn't have any info such as exact price or time just yet. However, the SRP is supposed to be $525, so I would expect to see a retail price in the $425-$450 range -- right in line with similar S&W and Taurus offerings.

By the way, Guns & Ammo has a great new article on the LCR:

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/A+Brand+New+Spin?packedargs=pagenum=1

As well as a new video on the LCR

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1529573512/bclid1254069906/bctid7217997001

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I say if it helps you control the gun better then use the Hogue grips -- better than spending more money on another set just to change the color. However, if you do get another pair, give Pachmayr a try. I have always been a fan of their grips, and many of my firearms have worn them.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well I used to have a Model 36 and a Model 60 in small wheel guns, as wel as a model 686, and a model 10. All Smith's and a Colt agent back in the day. Just to name a few. The Model 36 My Mom took for protection and the model 60 my nephew took for back up while black bear hunting.
Any of the little j-framed Smiths will serve you well. I'm not a big fan of rugers, I've had a couple, they are ok, but they feel clunky to me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I am a bit torn between the several brands. I wish I had a range with rentals to shoot, but not so here out in the sticks in IA. I once had a Ruger SP101 in 9mm, and it was a brick. I also had a S&W 296 (44 spl), and that one had a nice trigger. Do you think that part of my problem is that I have traded too many firearms? :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have access to a range where you can rent some revolvers? It would be best to try before you buy. A .22 is quite marginal when it comes to stopping power. I guess that you could load it with CCI Stingers or something like that, but it might tick of the offender more than anything.

You might want to consider a revolver which is chambered for the.32 H&R magnum (don't be put off by the magnum part). It is fairly light in recoil, etc. but it will get the job done. :-x

·
Registered
475 Posts
I owned a taurus CIA .357 mag/.38 spl skip anything they make. basically the gun works but someone out there makes something better.

I own a S&W 442 .38spl now and love it

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
LavenderFlamer said:
What do you boys think about a twenty two revolver to keep with me? I've shot some bigger stuff but it always made me nervous.
Honestly - a 22 is a VERY poor defensive round. You should look at a 38 at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
imschur said:
Texas Armadillo said:
I have the S&W 642.
I just bought one of these :shock: Did you keep the factory grips? I was thinking of trying the pink Hogues that are in the box
Still has the factory grips. I didn't get any pink grips! Oh now I'm bummed. :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts