FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any direct experience or information on these two platforms and what their capabilities are?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The PMR-30 despite being all fixed up now (or so they said) has now been having probs with Barrels blowing up!:p

·
Registered
368 Posts
The PMR-30 despite being all fixed up now (or so they said) has now been having probs with Barrels blowing up!:p
Do you have a link to this as my wife loves shooting "her" PMR-30.

I don't own a 22TCM, but shot my uncles over thanksgiving for 200 rounds. Thanks Uncle Carlton! I have what has turned into a his & hers FsNs also.

I would compare them like this.
22TCM in the RIA pistol pros: fun to shoot, light recoil, good capacity, no lacquer coating to deal with when reloading, seemed accurate, pistol is less expensive and with the 9mm conversion even better. Available in single stack or double stack. I found the 17 round a little "fat", but others may like it. Cons: only one available commercial load that I am aware off, heavier pistol (vs FsN), commercial ammo had a lot of flame.

I want one, because I would like to work up loads for it using HP/BEE or other 45grain bullets, and would think I could work up loads that weren't flame throwers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I learned yrs. ago not to believe 99% of all these self-proclaimed reviewers on u-tube mags or publications, since they usually do got some benefits from the manufacturer directly or indirectly and the worst are the dudes in Shotgun News as well as Guns & Ammo and all have hailed this gun at least in last yr!PMR-30 Exploding Barrel - KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum
Was considering getting 1 but now will wait another yr. or 2!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
They've had two maybe three failures documented. It will be interesting to see what KT will say about the KB! barrels. I've shot 400-500 rounds through mine, without issue. Go figure.

I'd like to get my hands on a 22 TCM, but have other goodies in line first.

One disadvantage I see is the design is really limited to flat point bullets like the factory 40gr JSP.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Correct, there have only been a handful cases documented (documented on Vids) however I don't usually vid myself shooting. Had thought about getting a PMR 30 but not now found about 2 dozen diff cases of this happ mainly with the CCI ammo, maybe bad heat-treating and Keltec is aware but from what I read they act like no biggie! 1st the receivers blew up now the barrels.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
OMG! The PMR-30 does seem to be pure Junk, read some more posts of blown barrels and the shooters think they blew up since they did not do the required Cooling Off Period :lol::p:-D! Per Keltec the PMR 30 requires a cooling off period after 100 rounds:grin: and a Breech clean as well as surrounding area after 200 rounds! This is listed in the Manual as well as Letters to owners whose guns blew up, I have never ever heard of anything like that but tells me Pure Junk!

None of any Reviewers ever mentioned this not surprising though!

I like some Keltecs and have 4 of their guns but waited 3-4 yrs after intro. since they all are a work in progress for about 3-4 yrs. My 1st 1 actually self destructed after 200 rounds in 1999!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I have the 400-500 rounds through mine without cleaning, or doing any of that stupid crap they listed in that letter. I'm waiting for a response in that thread, maybe they need a different barrel material.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
This is just to funny (in a very sad way) u shoot 3 mags then the obligatory "Cooling Off period" they don't say how long but after 100 rounds of rapid fire, I would guess 30 min should be fine? These probs have now been going on with the new fixed guns for over 1 yr and no resolution but the cooling and cleaning periods after100 rounds etc..

Seems this can happ at 5th shot or anytime after and the comp doesn't seem to care from what owners say also they have and are having probs with primers blowing out, gas escaping hitting shooter in face and cases cracking most seem to happ with CCI which is no 1 recommended to use understandable many owners lost all confidence in gun and which as they state on the forum is why all of a sudden u find so many at shows!

Really funny (sadly) is the Idiot Member there whose Signature line proudly states he most likely made the barrel & frame in the PMR 30 and he now says this is bad and he will contact the Engineering dept to finally solve it.

Keltec admits they have a unusually high amt of probs with this gun which is now 4+ yrs old but none of the Reviewers say anything but that all probs were solved and it now functions great!

If I had not seen "The Letter" I don't think I would have believed it! Guess I will wait a few more yrs to get 1 but usually the have new guns up to par after 3 yrs.

Forgot who/where I read that Keltec had done major upgrades in their quality control and other depts. a few months ago????

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
This is just to funny (in a very sad way) u shoot 3 mags then the obligatory "Cooling Off period" they don't say how long but after 100 rounds of rapid fire, I would guess 30 min should be fine? These probs have now been going on with the new fixed guns for over 1 yr and no resolution but the cooling and cleaning periods after100 rounds etc..

Seems this can happ at 5th shot or anytime after and the comp doesn't seem to care from what owners say also they have and are having probs with primers blowing out, gas escaping hitting shooter in face and cases cracking most seem to happ with CCI which is no 1 recommended to use understandable many owners lost all confidence in gun and which as they state on the forum is why all of a sudden u find so many at shows!

Really funny (sadly) is the Idiot Member there whose Signature line proudly states he most likely made the barrel & frame in the PMR 30 and he now says this is bad and he will contact the Engineering dept to finally solve it.

Keltec admits they have a unusually high amt of probs with this gun which is now 4+ yrs old but none of the Reviewers say anything but that all probs were solved and it now functions great!

If I had not seen "The Letter" I don't think I would have believed it! Guess I will wait a few more yrs to get 1 but usually the have new guns up to par after 3 yrs.

Forgot who/where I read that Keltec had done major upgrades in their quality control and other depts. a few months ago????
I'm pretty sure that's the guy who makes the CMR-30, not the PMR-30. I guess I could go out and fire 100 rounds then some more and see if it blows up.. I'd really like to hear from KT, about why this is happening.. I mean it's 22 mag. It operates at 24000 psi just like .22LR

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
No, he claims he made the frames for PF-9 & PMR-30, the frames had also probs blowing up mainly on the older ones, I really love the CMR-30 but wonder if they also need a 100 round cooling off period?

They both are very nice looking guns but I will pass on both for another yr. or two unless they get both 100% fixed!

The dude in question did also post the CMR-30's were being made on his machine last October!

I thought about asking if the CMR-30 does need the obligatory 100 round Cool Off Period but they would not take that to kindly even Nutnfancy who had actually on several occasions recommended KTOG Forum, no longer does so and now lists that in some vids due to fact the forum was trying to censor some probs lately!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
No, he claims he made the frames for PF-9 & PMR-30, the frames had also probs blowing up mainly on the older ones, I really love the CMR-30 but wonder if they also need a 100 round cooling off period?

They both are very nice looking guns but I will pass on both for another yr. or two unless they get both 100% fixed!

The dude in question did also post the CMR-30's were being made on his machine last October!

I thought about asking if the CMR-30 does need the obligatory 100 round Cool Off Period but they would not take that to kindly even Nutnfancy who had actually on several occasions recommended KTOG Forum, no longer does so and now lists that in some vids due to fact the forum was trying to censor some probs lately!

maybe a different guy? iPACKgoldDOTS is the machinist who's making the CMR-30 Receivers, and has recently posted in that thread.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yep, same dude, seems conceited and now after 1+ yrs of PMR-30 probs says he will contact "Our Engineering Dept" should have done that last yr instead of last week!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Quote!
Question to Kel-Tec on Facebook!

Why are the barrels in the PMR-30 blowing up? I cant believe u require a "Cooling Off Period" in that gun after shooting 100 Rounds! also Clean it after 200 rounds? Sounds cheap and never heard of something like that, must be cheap to require a Cooling Off period which I guess is why they blow up!

Today

Kel-Tec

2:33pm

Kel-Tec

22WMR holds quite a bit more powder in the case than 22lr. There isn't enough burn off time out of a 4" barrel, thus leaving "excessive" powder in the breech to clean. I'll read the barrel posts and see what's being said. I do know that CCI 22WMR has had quality issues in the past that have resulted in case ruptures. We actually had to modify the slide a couple years ago to better accommodate that ammunition. Thank you for stopping by and your support.

Kel-Tec

2:38pm

Kel-Tec

You are welcome to call in to our tech support if you have a concern or a question. Going to ask you to please stop posting that onto our facebook page. I don't want to rude to you and keep deleting it, but these items are better discussed in private to prevent false information and rumors from spreading. Why don't you give our tech support a call on this issue?

End of Quote!

So the powder cant evaporate from barrel so it seems like they are now saying the gun should be cleaned every 100 rounds!:p:-D

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 5.7x28mm in any pistol configuration gets now higher than 1530fps compared to any 16" barrel rifle at 2350fps (vest through).

The FN by FNH .22 TCM (really a .223 caliber) pistol achieves 2009fps and much higher in a rifle configuration of 16".

·
Registered
2 Posts
oh...On the 5.7x28mm use the "Sport Round" version in a minimum barrel length of 10.35 inches (P90) or higher to achieve VT or CK results.

I have heard from local DFW large gun shops that the .22 TCM pistol vs the 50 Cal Desert Eagle both penetrate 1" steel plate at 25 yards. The 50 pushed hot molten metal out the back where as the .22 TCM splattered hot molten metal out the back. This is third party so I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the claim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.