FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen there is vests and jeans etc with holsters built in. Anyone use any of these options?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
No, but I've thought about gettting one of those SIG jackets with the built in holster.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is interesting. Id like to find a way to carry my .380 when mountain biking

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
imschur said:
Yeah that is interesting. Id like to find a way to carry my .380 when mountain biking
Put it in your basket on the front of the bike :-D

You could get one of those under the seat bags, but it would take a second or two to get it out.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djv38 said:
imschur said:
Put it in your basket on the front of the bike :-D

You could get one of those under the seat bags, but it would take a second or two to get it out.
ha ha, right behind the plastic daisy :lol:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
imschur said:
ha ha, right behind the plastic daisy :lol:
Exactly! Kinda like in "Hot Fuzz" :lol:

The bad guys will never expect it :-D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
No, but I've thought about gettting one of those SIG jackets with the built in holster.
Got to looking at one of these as it looks like a great alternative but all the reviews I have found make me wonder.

The holster part is simply a pocket with velcro straps and closures. Not surprising, that's how I'd probably do it too, but users have said that the velcro is a pain to work with quickly under stress and LOUD, not two things high on my list of priorities.

Another person said they had been stopped by LEO and questioned because of the jacket, so it must have logo's on it that make those in the know aware when they see it.

I've not checked one out in person so have no first hand knowledge though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just picked up one of the sig jackets and upon first look I'd say it's great, though I'm at work so can't try it with my gun. The jacket is really large, I am swimming in it but once filled with equipment it might feel different. I'll post pics when I be home.

·
Registered
174 Posts
no pics yet, and haven't had a chance to have anybody check me out while wearing it packed so can't verify how well it conceals but...

I am 6' tall, aprox 265lbs. I wear a size xxxl tshirt and 46 inch waist.

I got the xxxl size jacket, even though everything I saw said to consider ordering a size smaller than usual. I figured bigger was better than too small.

The jacket has a zipper up the front, snaps on the sleeves so you can adjust to two sizes, and snaps both sides of the waist to adjust it's fit too. No interior pockets, other than the holster ones, a small pocket on the left breast, and traditional handwarmer pockets on the exterior.

Mine is the black canvas version, with a leather collar. Cost aprox $80 on ebay plus shipping.

The canvas is very thick and reminds me kind of an old waxed/oiled cotton jacket in how it rides - it's kind of stiff. The lining is soft furry cotton or something, very comfortable. Nothing on the exterior of the jacket to alert others of it's special features, though I suppose a trained eye could recognize it. To me it just looks like a heavy duty jacket/coat one would wear outdoors; it's not too dressy looking, not too sloppy.

The inside of each side by the zipper has a velcro'd opening that reveals an elastic band sewn on the outward facing side of the inside pocket. It is not adjustable, just a one size fits all approach, and is open on the bottom to make sure your barrel clears it. The elastic/spandex type material the holster is made of should do well holding all normal handguns in place as long as the wearer remains upright - since it is held in by gravity, turning the jacket upside down will result in the pistol falling out of the holder. The interior of each "holster" pocket runs almost the entire length of the jacket, so that you could almost put a small rifle in it, though it might not be as concealed that way. If the pistol were to fall out of the elastic strap it would just fall down into this large pocket and not fall out of the jacket.

I put my H&K P7PSP into the left pocket and 3 extra mags in the right pocket. It seemed to hold them very well but I would expect the mags to fall through the elastic band and down into that pocket in no time. Again, I was alone so had nobody to tell me how well it concealed the contents, but it felt okay and seemed to hide them well.

I am thinking of a modification to the system that would allow one to mount their own standard belt holster inside the jacket's pocket, making a more positive means of retention of gun and mags.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Thanx for the great review! :?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wore the jacket to my fiancee's tonight with my PSP in the left and 3 spare mags on the right. She laughed when I came in and said it was obvious I was packing, though she couldn't spot where.... just said the coat screamed that there were guns in it. Said it looked very 1980's and had comicly big shoulder pads, but that it would be great for sneaking food into the movies and out of buffet's.

I tried to get more details from her but she said it was possibly because I had told her about the jacket ahead of time and asked her to try and spot the weapons. Had she not known in advance she might not have given it a second look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts