FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am not 21 yet, hell im only 19 but as soon as I turn 21 I will be in the next avalible CCW class and I am wondering what should I get for concealed carry? I have a Glock 21 which I love to death but honestly it is rather big for concealed carry. I don't really want a 9mm because I want more knock down power. What would yall recomend?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
All bullets are actually poor manstoppers, and shot placement is key. That being said - too many people worry about rounds other than 9mm. I am happy with the 9mm.

Be aware that recoil in some of these smaller guns increase when you get into 40 cal rounds.

I had a Glock 26 for 8 years, but always hated the Glock trigger. Then in 2005, I discovered the Walther P99. Now, my carry gun is a P99 compact.

I personally like the P99c, the H&K 2000sk (subcompact)and the XDsc (XD sub compact). If not for the P99c, my next choice would be the XDsc probably. But, I would stay with 9mm.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am a Walther convert too. I also carried a G19 or a G32 for years. My current carry is an Ed Brown Special Forces bobtail and I really like it but I agree with Ship, get something you can shoot well then practice, practice practice. Just make sure you get a quality belt and holster - makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have and always will carry a Seecamp ( LWS.32 )....I was saving up for a LWS .380, but spent it on my ps90.

The only other gun I think that may compare to a Seecamp is a Rohrbaugh R9 ( 9mm )

It fits in my pocket with room to spare, even inside a holster. And with no sites there's no chance for a snag as it is drawn.

I agree with Ship on calibers. I have complete confidence in the .32acp round. Bigger is NOT always better, ESPECIALLY when it comes to a firearm for personal protection.

OH YEAH....Think a gun with no sites can NOT be accurate ????
CLICK BELOW.... and yes that's me and yes I wear overalls everyday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
being you already are used to shooting 45 with your very large G21, Glock is about to come out with the new version of the G30, the G30SF----(SLIM FRAME) a slimmer grip, you might want to try that out when the time is right............

·
Registered
212 Posts
One of the things about picking a CCW gun is that what you can actually conceal will depend on your size/shape and what clothes you are wearing (often controlled by job or weather, or both). Also, it is better to have a 22 with you as opposed to the 45 you left at home because it was too hot out, too heavy, etc.

So honestly, you will probably end up with 2 or 3 guns and several holsters, changing as appropriate for your dress, etc.

Personally, I'd be looking at a small 38 or 357 revolver, but then I live in Florida and wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt 11 months of the year. Then again, I don't have a carry permit since I work at a college and it wouldn't do me any good...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
iwannausername
So honestly, you will probably end up with 2 or 3 guns and several holsters, changing as appropriate for your dress, etc....
I did. Carry guns are like Lays potato chips to me. one is not enough. :-D

I currently have a HK P7, SIG P232, Walther P99cAS, SIG P225, P229, P239, P245, and a S&W 642, as carry guns. I like them all for different reasons and wouldn't part with any of them. They are all smaller than "full size" guns and I have Milt Sparks VMII holsters for most of them. I don't try to carry my full size guns like the 1911's or CZ75.

Usually, I choose which one to carry based on what I am wearing. The P7 and the P232 are the thinnest and easiest to hide if I am wearing nice clothes. If I am wearing a baggy t-shirt or untucked golf shirt I carry the P239 or P245. If I wear a tucked in t-shirt and also an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over it, I carry the P229 or P225. The walther and S&W don't get carried much bu I like them anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
IMHO, everyone's ergonomics are different. I am 5'11", 170 lbs. My 24/7 CW is a SIG P229SAS, .40S&W, with the STC 14 rnd. mag, ammo=WIN Ranger SXT 165 gr. +P, holster=Milt Sparks VMII. My bride carries a SIG P239DAK, 9mm. w/WIN Ranger SXT 127 gr. +P+ in a Coronado Leather Shoulder bag. Since we live in FL, I am usually in shorts and short sleeved shirt with the tail out. If you dress around your CW, you will find that concealment is not a problem. The more you carry, and practice, the more comfortable you will become. :)

·
Banned
151 Posts
After 27 years as a LEO, I have several different CCW's for different situations and it is hard to tell you whats best. Because what works for me might not work for others. The best advise I can give is find a gun that you feel the most comfortable with and practice to give yourself confidence in using it. Theres a way to conceal most every handgun out there. And what ever way you carry it practice that way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My personal CCW when im off duty is a full size Springfield widebody/wideframe .45 and two extra mags in the left rear pocket(reload hand) my wallet holds the mags in place, and my badge hooked in the front left pocket facing inward. I use a Bianchi modle 82 holster in the small of my back. A t-shirt hides it very well for me. Im 6" 1" 235lbs with a 36" waist. 10 years from now when i earn my DIKY DO award (Belly sticks out further than my dick do) Ill probablly switch over to one of those weapons on a neck chain :lol: :lol: :x

·
Registered
121 Posts
Summer or winter?

In Michigan that means a BIG difference in clothing.

Summer -

Kahr PM-9 in FIST IWB kydex
Second mag in front left pocket.

Winter -
Glock 23 in Glock belt slide holster (I wear A LOT of fleece vests in winter!!)
Second mag in Glock single mag belt pouch.

As stated before, what works for me might not for you....I'm in the fortunate position that I can afford to purchase many handguns and try them out - if they don't work for me I sell them and move on. This system I now use is the result of 12 years of daily carry & purchase/sell of many great guns that didn't work for me. See if you can try out other peoples firearms or rent them for a shooting session if your local gun shop allows that.

Thank God for an understanding wife with a good job!

·
Registered
912 Posts
It is FAR from ideal, . . . but even a .22lr can be helpful, . . .and better than nothing.

I have a problem in that my only pistols I have is the FNP-9 (with a slip on hogue grip, making it a bit wide in the handle), a Five-Seven (which may be too large to conceal), . . . . . and a Walther P22. . . . . . . Well, there is my Mark II with the 6 7/8" bull barrel, but that's never going to happen. . . . would be the most accurate carry gun I own, though. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts