FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a SCAR 17s and PS90. I did a search on previous topics with what I thought were relevant keywords but didn't come up with anything so thought I'd post a new thread in hopes of getting feedback on my experience. I recently took the SCAR 17s out and shot it for the first time. Pretty impressive rifle but my take-away was I felt like I was getting punched in the face every time I pulled the trigger. The punch in the face I'm referring to was from the muzzle blast that seemed re-directed to the rear of the rifle and the concussion was so great it was like an invisible punch. Again, I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not so thought I'd throw it out here and go from there.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Been covered an awful lot since these rifles were released. The PWS muzzle brake is the culprit and if replaced radically changes the blast/concussion you're feeling. The brake is really efficient but it's a bit harsh to a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :) Congrats on your new FN acquisitions! :?

Yes, as mentioned above the PWS is a very unfriendly albeit effective muzzle device, since you think you're getting punched in the face imagine what those to either side of you feel? :evil: Even on my 16s the PWS is a frikkin' loud, obnoxious beeaatch which is why it is coming off to be replaced by a much friendlier albeit just as effective if not more Surefire WARCOMP... :?

Reactions: rj69

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
^^^Actually, the PWS will support a suppressor.^^^

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are you shooting out in the open, or under a covered firing line? A little bit of structure, either over head or to the sides, makes a big difference. I try to stay in the open or wear plugs and muffs.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Hello - I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a SCAR 17s and PS90. I did a search on previous topics with what I thought were relevant keywords but didn't come up with anything so thought I'd post a new thread in hopes of getting feedback on my experience. I recently took the SCAR 17s out and shot it for the first time. Pretty impressive rifle but my take-away was I felt like I was getting punched in the face every time I pulled the trigger. The punch in the face I'm referring to was from the muzzle blast that seemed re-directed to the rear of the rifle and the concussion was so great it was like an invisible punch. Again, I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not so thought I'd throw it out here and go from there.
That's the price you pay for having a .308 rifle that kicks barely more than a .223 rifle. You can remove the muzzle brake and put a flash suppressor on it (or a thread protector) but then you'll deal with additional recoil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you shooting out in the open, or under a covered firing line? A little bit of structure, either over head or to the sides, makes a big difference. I try to stay in the open or wear plugs and muffs.
Good point - Definitely under a covered firing line on each occasion. I haven't tried it out in the open yet but ultimately sounds like I need to get some kind of solution for the muzzle brake since both of the long range shooting places I go to are going to be under cover. So far I've done 500 meters and 1000 yards and I'm really happy with the shooting. Thanks for your reply!

-RJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting - I guess I hadn't really noticed the recoil being less comparing to my Sig 716 or others. Truthfully - aside from where I was hitting on the targets; my mind was fully on the discomfort. I appreciate your reply and will search through the other threads and see if there's anything that quantifies the trade-off between muzzle brakes and felt recoil. Any recommendations are immensely appreciated. We all know there's the initial cost of the weapon and then the added costs to customize it to our liking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah - I was probably searching under the wrong keywords but none of the threads returned seemed to touch on this. Sorry for doing a repeat and appreciate your response!

-RJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Sir! You've got a point and I definitely wouldn't trade places with anything down range of this rifle... I'll check out the Surefire WARCOMP and appreciate you pointing me in that direction. I'll probably hold-off until I can read some more but if you happen to get it replaced and can comment on any trade-off (e.g. felt recoil, etc.) that would be great.

Separate question - are you prior Navy?

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
You're welcome! :?

No on Navy.....Army for me, my username is a play with words of my real name. :mrgreen:

Thank you Sir! You've got a point and I definitely wouldn't trade places with anything down range of this rifle... I'll check out the Surefire WARCOMP and appreciate you pointing me in that direction. I'll probably hold-off until I can read some more but if you happen to get it replaced and can comment on any trade-off (e.g. felt recoil, etc.) that would be great.

Separate question - are you prior Navy?

Reactions: rj69

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the "concussion club". While a nice recoil mitigator, the blast from the PWS is pretty stout. I switched to a MITER 51 T flash suppressor. What I picked up in increased recoil (slight), is way more offset by the reduction in blast.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You need to fire a 16" Vepr in 7.62x54R to understand the Scar 17 is a very quiet rifle with no muzzle blast...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Learn to love the concussion! It's the feeling of freedom! Heheh...... Seriously though open your mouth a little to unlock your jaws and separate your top and bottom teeth from making contact with each other. It sounds like BS but it really works if you do that and relax your facial muscles. Personally I love that concussive blast wave....makes you feel alive and gets the heart pumping! Oh crap! Where are my manures welcome to the forum brother!
Oh and the others are dead on about the PWS break causing the issues. Two ways to solve it. New flash hider or suppressor. Surefire muzzle breaks are great for recoil but if you shoot at a range next to people it ticks some people off. I'm a Surefire guy so I would recommend the new SF-Pro Comp. Best of both worlds, reduces recoil and blast is directed forward and a little bit upwards reducing muzzle rise.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts