FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I took the leap and did the tang modification on a 16s and it came out aces!! Then it was time to try it on a 17s :cry:.

I think I made the mistake of being a little too "I got this" because the 16s came out so beautiful. After fitting the grip for the 3rd or 4th time and tightened the screw I released the Kraken! Yup, I heard it and there it was a hair line crack between the grip nut and where the grip screw enters. S.O.B. !!!!

I believe that this happened for a combination of three reasons, mostly being the first:

1.) I shaved off probably 1/32 too much material.
2.) I believe that the polymer in the module was already a bit weakened. As I have taken off and re installed a few different Scar designated grips (before modding).
3.) I have a real issue with King Konging stuff when I tighten it. That's why I always try and seek torque specs for things if they are available.

I wasn't going to admit this but what the hell. If we take credit for our successes, we have to take credit for our failures as well.

I made a grip chip and I used the same one on the 16s and the 17s?? Again. I just was a little too confident and I'm sure I shaved off a little too much polymer. The crack is hardly visible and it had me second guessing. However, that snap sound was just too loud. I also thought that maybe I cracked the grip instead but I think the noise was too profound to be the grip.

So, I have beat myself up and accepted my medicine. Outside of having the 17s out of commission the thing that really bothers me is trying figuring out a way to plug up the mag block pin whole. When I get a new module, I'm not sure if I can securely refit the old pin. I'm open to ideas on this one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
On the new module, you shouldn't have the pin.... Maybe others can chime in, but the pin is an import thing..not found on stripped lowers.

Truth is, I bet if you install the grip and rock on, you'll never know it is cracked. There's not alot of stress in that area, except for your King Kong tourque specs.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On the new module, you shouldn't have the pin.... Maybe others can chime in, but the pin is an import thing..not found on stripped lowers.

Truth is, I bet if you install the grip and rock on, you'll never know it is cracked. There's not alot of stress in that area, except for your King Kong tourque specs.
I hope that your right about the pin whole. I agree that if they are not building up the module why drill the whole. I have seen some pics on Midwest Gun Works and it shows an empty whole where the pin usually goes?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:sad:SORRY FOR YOUR MISFORTUNE BUT I WOULD BREAK OUT THE 5 MIN EPOXY AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER
You know, you have a good point there Lester. I just don't know if I could inject the epoxy into the crack successfully. The crack is so fine, I even tried to expand it by putting some pressure on it with the grip screw. It just would not open up. I could go this route and if it goes on me then maybe I'll have the back up module in reserve.

·
Premium Member
13,364 Posts
You know, you have a good point there Lester. I just don't know if I could inject the epoxy into the crack successfully. The crack is so fine, I even tried to expand it by putting some pressure on it with the grip screw. It just would not open up. I could go the epoxy route and if it goes on me then maybe I'll have the back up module in reserve.
:idea:MIX SOME UP AND BOND ALL THAT YOU CAN SINCE IT'S CRACKED. GRIP,GRIP SCREW AND MODULE MIGHT LAST AWHILE JUST A THOUGHT

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would do the epoxy thing as stated above and then Let SGTSTRYKER know that you want a S.E.A.L.. Sell your mags here and pick up the P Mags and 50 round drums.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
The new 16s/17s module will have the pin hole, it may or may not come with the pin in the pin hole though. Only the MK 16/17 modules have the mag pin hole deleted.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Milspec, I was wrong about the newer stripped 17S modules. Apparently a few shipped out a while ago without milled down restrictor pins and having bare holes. I thought that was the norm. I was informed by a good friend that it was an anomaly and that all stripped 17S modules do come with the milled down restrictor pins. You'll be good to go if you decide to replace your OEM that way.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have a extra lower and it has the hole. As far as I know the only way to get one without is to buy a complete lower from fnh

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
^^^ this. Filing the grip is probably the simplest task you can take on for SCAR mods. Sure, it's worked for some to modify the lower, but I also have yet to hear of someone messing up a grip from filing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Two methods come to mind to salvage the lower you do have.

Affixing a piece of aluminium or steel fitted to what is left, using epoxy and screws, then drilling and threading the metal for your grip screw.

Using epoxy and multiple screws to permanently attach a new grip.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
^^^ this. Filing the grip is probably the simplest task you can take on for SCAR mods. Sure, it's worked for some to modify the lower, but I also have yet to hear of someone messing up a grip from filing.
It's an MOE+ grip and I tried filing one first. So, now you have heard of somebody messing up their grip from filing, LOL. The MOE is not the MIAD it requires more filing and removes too much material in my opinion. The MAID is much easier to access with a file. When the back strap is removed you have a clear path with the file. This is not the case with the MOE grips and I do not care for the MAID.

As stated, the 16s came out beautiful.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Jesus, but down the f-ing Dremel gents. :p
What a great contribution.

I did not use a dremel there big fella it was a file. It was not the fault of the tool but the fault of the one who used the tool. Many have filed there module with success as I did with my first one. Just as many have filed their grips with success.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
So, was that crack the loudest thing you've ever heard? I also, have suffered the consequences (too many times to document) of sudden bursts of super human strength when tightening things. David Banner to Hulk in a couple twists of the screw.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it was pretty loud but I think that the horror amplified it, LOL. I was a little more delicate when I did the first one. Things were progressing so quickly on the 2nd module I'm sure that I over cranked it to a degree.

:-x

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
What a great contribution.

I did not use a dremel there big fella it was a file. It was not the fault of the tool but the fault of the one who used the tool. Many have filed there module with success as I did with my first one. Just as many have filed their grips with success.
Maybe it'll convince others out there not to follow in your footsteps. File, Dremel, E-tool, Leatherman, whatever.

So you're batting 50%, great for baseball but that's it.

Define "many" while you're at it please.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't figure out what is so important about a grip that would make one risk damaging their trigger module. The prospect of being without my 16s and waiting (who knows how long) for a new module to put the weapon back to spec would drive me nuts. YMMV

Reactions: RHINOWSO and Kev
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.