FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted by Bob Owens on February 3, 2014 at 9:31 am

Connecticut State Police are refusing to tell the industry if the rifles they are designing to comply with the state’s new anti-gun law are in compliance. Instead of giving manufacturers a simple “yes” or “no,” Connecticut State Police would rather play the gotcha game:

State police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said his agency would hate to sign off on a gun, only to have one of its components render it illegal on a technicality.

“Are we going to be responsible for that?” said Vance, who became a household name for his many news conferences following the Dec. 14, 2012, massacre. “It’s their responsibility to make sure it conforms to the letter of the law.”

That is easier said than done, according to the firearms community, including the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association based three miles from where 20 children and six educators were killed by a gunman using an AR-15 rifle in Newtown.

“Rather than helping companies that pay taxes in the state, we play gotcha,” said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of NSSF. “Why are they so afraid of making a decision? We can only surmise that it’s politically motivated and driven by an anti-gun bias, which the governor clearly has.”

The office of Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who signed the restrictions into law last April and is up for re-election this year, characterized its critics within the gun industry as misguided.

“It’s not the job of law enforcement to give a stamp of approval for a company or an individual’s actions,” said Andrew Doba, a spokesman for Malloy. “It’s the job of law enforcement to protect public safety. Instead of trying to figure out ways to get around the common-sense gun laws that were passed last session, gun manufacturers should join the efforts of the vast majority of residents who support having safer communities, free of gun violence.”

In other words, Malloy’s government wants manufacturers to simply quit attempting to make legal guns.

Read more: Connecticut State Police refuse to work with gun companies to ensure new models are ban-compliant

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This adds new meaning to the term "political hacks."

These departments, at least their appointed chiefs, are a waste of oxygen.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Those manufacturers would be quite welcome here in South Carolina.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Police officers are not lawyers or gunsmiths. I'm sure most of them think the laws there are BS. The state police shouldn't be targeted here. The gun manufacturers should be contacting the attorney generals office on those types of issues. I'm sure they could answer the questions, but LE are usually easy targets for lawsuits. If an officer offered to assist a company on this issue, then millions of dollars of R & D and manufacturing costs come into play, the officer would be paying for the mistake. The PD and the stupid anti-gun politicians would hang him out to dry. Not worth it. The state should put together a board that consists of the attorney general, chief of police, a prosecuting attorney etc... to deal with these types of questions.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Police officers are not lawyers or gunsmiths. I'm sure most of them think the laws there are BS. The state police shouldn't be targeted here. The gun manufacturers should be contacting the attorney generals office on those types of issues. I'm sure they could answer the questions, but LE are usually easy targets for lawsuits. If an officer offered to assist a company on this issue, then millions of dollars of R & D and manufacturing costs come into play, the officer would be paying for the mistake. The PD and the stupid anti-gun politicians would hang him out to dry. Not worth it. The state should put together a board that consists of the attorney general, chief of police, a prosecuting attorney etc... to deal with these types of questions.
So how are they going to enforce the law if they don't know the law?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
So how are they going to enforce the law if they don't know the law?
Simple, they will just arrest anyone that they find possessing a weapon that vaguely resembles a banned firearm, then let the arrestee go through the time and expense proving in court that his firearm is in compliance with state law.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Simple, they will just arrest anyone that they find possessing a weapon that vaguely resembles a banned firearm, then let the arrestee go through the time and expense proving in court that his firearm is in compliance with state law.
Do you have proof of this happening yet? Or are you stereotyping police officers? I'm pretty they will do an investigation on the so called banned firearm before making any arrests. These stupid useless laws put a lot of unnecessary pressure on them as well as the citizens.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure of that happening, it seems today it's arrest first AND with their SWAT teams making the arrest then leave it to the arrestee to spend all their money to prove right or wrong. I do believe it shouldn't be in the hands of LEA's to determine what meets compliance rather those that established legislation, definitely a panel of so-called experts will be assembled but better them than LEA's.

Do you have proof of this? Or are you stereotyping police officers? I'm pretty sure most of them will do an investigation on the so called banned firearm before making any arrests.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There is usually more to the story than what is being told. I do understand some agencies can be excessive. LE are not going to tell the media what information they had on the houses they raid. I do agree, there have been one to many houses raided that were the wrong addresses. LE are sterotyped just like anyone else. One or two bad officers will ruin the reputation of all officers in the state. Negative news sells papers. People don't see or hear about the good officers out there. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Gotta love that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts