FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've been following my recent threads and posts, you'd realize I am actively seeking modern combat pistolcraft training and technique information. There's a group of friends that are interested in learning the skills of combat/defense pistol shooting and are looking to me to teach them, a task I am not taking lightly. Since there are a few of us and local ranges can get expensive per hour we are looking at property in the County North of Palm Beach that being Martin County. Martin County is an extremely firearms friendly place, you can have a "shooting box" on your property so long as you pass initial construction and annual inspections. Also, if you have enough acreage you can have livestock on premise which significantly lowers your property taxes.

We're looking for something more than a "shooting box" therefore I am seeking technical information on constructing backstops and so forth. I have access to "road plates" which are 8'x20'x1" steel and was considering using those angled inside an earthen berm for both a 25yd pistol range and a 100yd rifle range. Anyone have any experience in the construction of private ranges?

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks P-Factor,

I will be looking into that and more. I had posted a thread some time ago about a possible South Florida Shooting Club but got little response, but now with the current thought of purchasing property and developing a private range I am hoping for more involvement. We have a Caretaker lined up to keep tabs on the livestock and provide basic property maintenance ie; run a brushhog now and again to keep the grass down. Cost per acre seems to be reasonable and I will be taking some time off from work the week after Christmas to speak with real estate agents and the State regarding rules and regulations pertaining to livestock. If it all comes together as we hope it should be a decent place to shoot.

Pretty elementary but something to start with... Good Luck SeaMac! :?

How to Start a Gun Range Business | Chron.com

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gos,

I'll be looking into this as well...

Pretty sure the NRA website has a downloadable pdf of range construction basics, which covers a lot of this stuff too.

Obviously there are state/local ordinances as well.

Edit: page is here:

Shooting Range Services|NRA Range Source Book

but not sure why I thought there was a free pdf available.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I used to belong to a private gun club with our own rifle/pistol range, as well as two trap fields and a skeet field. It was fantastic. It was located in the flat lands of South Texas so bullet trajectories were a serious consideration. Our backstops were dirt and considerably higher than the targets tacks, about 25 feet. A rural location helped but we still had to buy a farmer a new windshield for his pickup truck. We were never sure it was a member, but it was better to be a good neighbor than to fight a lawsuit. You might want to consider forming a corporation that owns the land/range. For liability and to handle shares as members of your group move away or pass on. Best of luck to you as I said my experience with a private range was excellent.

I found a lot of links with this search: https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=shooting+range+construction+&safe=off

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Membership is a distinct possibility as is forming an LLC to minimize liability. I too think it would be an excellent place to shoot while ridding ourselves of the idiots at local public ranges. Thank you for the information.

I used to belong to a private gun club with our own rifle/pistol range, as well as two trap fields and a skeet field. It was fantastic. It was located in the flat lands of South Texas so bullet trajectories were a serious consideration. Our backstops were dirt and considerably higher than the targets tacks, about 25 feet. A rural location helped but we still had to buy a farmer a new windshield for his pickup truck. We were never sure it was a member, but it was better to be a good neighbor than to fight a lawsuit. You might want to consider forming a corporation that owns the land/range. For liability and to handle shares as members of your group move away or pass on. Best of luck to you as I said my experience with a private range was excellent.

I found a lot of links with this search: https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=shooting+range+construction+&safe=off

·
Registered
24 Posts
The NRA runs classes on building ranges and has a book accompanying it. Met the guy in change of the program while I toured the NRA HQ.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My biggest concern is the backstop, as I stated earlier I have access to Road Plates which are 8'x20'x1" high-tensile steel used to cover open trenches in roadways so vehicular traffic can be maintained. They do have lifting cutouts which can be welded closed and the plates can obviously be welded together. My idea is to create a u-shaped backstop then place the plates at an angle forward thus sending rounds to the ground then covering the plates with an earthen berm. Also, this range isn't intended to be one of "commercial" quality at first just safe, affording a few shooting enthusiast a place to play. If in the future we can attract others perhaps even members we could make some improvements such as lighting for night shooting, bathroom facilities etc.

The NRA runs classes on building ranges and has a book accompanying it. Met the guy in change of the program while I toured the NRA HQ.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having now spoken to the State Agriculture Department (ACS) it's been determined you don't have to have livestock to qualify for Agricultural Land Tax breaks, all you need is to plant coconut palms, who knew. With that revelation and a new interested party this whole consideration thing might become a reality. Our own private range, awesome! I did speak with the Martin County Sheriff's Office and County Building Department and they approve of the use of 8'x20'x1" high-tensile steel for backstops provided an earthen cover berm. Now it's just finding a suitable tract of land that will accommodate a 25yd pistol and 100yd rifle range.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I wish I could speak 1st hand, however ( I can't say from my experience ) but... I belong to a private range. I can tell you that our back stops are re-inforced with " tires " and dirt. I don't know if that bit of information helps but I would think that a steel plate and overlapping tires filled with dirt, & systematically layered... would be a superb " backstop ". I also know every so many years the club does a " lead reclaimation " . Then the proceeds are split with the reclaimation company.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
604 Posts
Another thing to check into would be the local, state and federal regs about lead leaching into the water system.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the guidelines provided by the Martin County Building Department I should be to pass inspection with the road plates at an angle (yet to be determined) then covered with local sand at a 2-to-1 slope on the front (shooting side) and a 4-to-1 slope behind the plates with geo-textiles to control erosion. I have yet to address the lead issue and have been forwarded to the State DEP and County DERM for their guidance and requirements. I had not even considered being able to sell the reclaimed lead.

I wish I could speak 1st hand, however ( I can't say from my experience ) but... I belong to a private range. I can tell you that our back stops are re-inforced with " tires " and dirt. I don't know if that bit of information helps but I would think that a steel plate and overlapping tires filled with dirt, & systematically layered... would be a superb " backstop ". I also know every so many years the club does a " lead reclaimation " . Then the proceeds are split with the reclaimation company.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not yet inquired about the lead issue, having been directed to the State and County for guidance. It does seem that this may actually be happening, very exciting stuff.

Another thing to check into would be the local, state and federal regs about lead leaching into the water system.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having now made some inquiries regarding the lead issue, it seems there are geo-textiles that along with readily available and local aggregates can be layered in lifts under the backstops which will mitigate any lead intrusion to the water table. A simple excavation would be required. This is all very good news and moves the project further forward to reality.

·
Registered
604 Posts
...A simple excavation would be required...
The simple things are always hard. Around my parts, earth moving can get expensive fast, quick and in a hurry. And there's the cost of the tiling and installation costs that go along with it.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm fortunate to work for a very large Engineering & Development company and am very familiar with the operation of their Excavators, Dozers etc. We generate enough spoils from projects that I will be able to divert suitable aggregate for my needs as well have access to the required road plates for the backstops. No need for tilling in this application just compacted lifts in the varying materials to required elevation. Besides the soil in the proposed location is mostly comprised of sugar sand which excavates easily. I will be using all that I have available to me to complete this project. Now we just need to find a decent parcel of land to accommodate a rifle and pistol range plus a large enough plot for growing coconut palms and we're good to go.

Anyone can view the area we're looking at for property, simply Google Bridge Road East of I-95 in Hobe Sound, Florida. There's a lot of property much of it for sale and all is zoned agricultural at present. View attachment 22078

The simple things are always hard. Around my parts, earth moving can get expensive fast, quick and in a hurry. And there's the cost of the tiling and installation costs that go along with it.

Reactions: Mntsnow

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I just wish my personal private range was closer to my home/work locations! it's just over 2.5 hours away from Door of my home to door of the cabin.

This image is old....Need to update it to reflect what property was taken and sold off by my older brother's sister during the legal battles after my father past away between the two of them.......fn' idiots.. Come about a 1/3rd of the way from the East to west (about where the M is in "approximate" in the lettering) and put a straight line from the north to south and that will just about reflect what is left

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice property M, sucks that family ties seem to meltdown when a Mother or Father passes away, been there. Fortunately, Hobe Sound, FL is about 30 min. North. It also seems the obstacles are melting away needing only to locate then purchase some land then begin improvements. As always, once complete and you find yourself needing a reason to visit the Gunshine State, there'll be one waiting.

I just wish my personal private range was closer to my home/work locations! it's just over 2.5 hours away from Door of my home to door of the cabin.

This image is old....Need to update it to reflect what property was taken and sold off by my older brother's sister during the legal battles after my father past away between the two of them.......fn' idiots.. Come about a 1/3rd of the way from the East to west (about where the M is in "approximate" in the lettering) and put a straight line from the north to south and that will just about reflect what is left

Reactions: Mntsnow

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Likewise....you find your self in Utah give me a holler and we will go have some fun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts