FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I bought an FNS-9 and feel it's the best firearm purchase I've ever made. The more I shoot it the more I like it. Accurate, reliable, great ergonomics and a fine looking weapon.

I'm now considering adding a .45 to my collection. Though I originally planned to pick up a 1911 variant I spotted an FNX 45 at my LGS and checked it out. The gun felt completely natural in my hand, the idea that it has a 15+1 capacity is very intriguing, and the feedback I got from the LGS guy was that it was an extremely accurate gun.

I'm not looking for a concealed carry gun. This is mainly for hitting the range, an outdoor open carry gun while hiking / camping and as a home defense weapon. A few questions for those of you with FX 45s:

1) Should I consider the Tactical instead? I don't need a suppressor so the threaded barrel has no value for me. I do like that I have some different sight options on the tactical but that seems to be the only selling point for me and that's a pretty hefty premium for the ability to easily add red dot sights. Am I missing any other advantage of the tactical over the standard?

2) How much should I pay? My LGS here in VA has the FNX 45 in black / black (what I want) listed at $749, though he said he can go lower. I've seen them online in the $650 range but once I throw on the FFL fee and shipping I'm sure my LGS will be pretty competitive. Plus I do want him to stay in business.

3) Is the FNX 45 finicky when it comes to ammo? The FNS-9 has eaten anything I've thrown at it. I read the thread by Kouki about his FNX 45 problems and that's obviously troubling.

I really appreciate any feedback you FNX owners can provide.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I love my Tac 45 just got in the can and now I love it even more, now I wont buy another pistol without the threaded barrel, mine is not finicky at all it eats everything I feed it, as for price around 1000 for the Tac not sure about the none tac.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well if you ever want to use a optic the machine work alone you know is done right from fn and you don't need the expense of shipping it off for about 300$ worth of shipping and machining work, you also get two mounts and hardware, you also get tall enough night sights to cowitness through the optic if your optic craps out or conditions prevent you from seeing the dot or turning the dot bright enough to use... if you choose to use the rearsight slot for a optic mount your losing buis ability not a position I would want to be in if sd was the purpose.

If you aren't going to use a optic then skip the tactical version. But its easily worth it if you are considering just the stress of sending the slide off to be machined and hoping its done right.

I just got mine and its feeding everything. All I did was clean it.

As for that blowup thread guns don't explode unless someone overcharged a case or had a barrel obstruction like a squib ignored it or didn't notice and did a failure drill without checking the bore or was trying to fire it underwater or some else outside the norm. I take such reports with a bag of salt. Too many fnx and fnp out there with absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies rslsss & JonM. When I mentioned to my wife last night that I was considering getting another pistol she said "go for it". Chances I go out and buy it today are now very high.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
In your situation, I'd probably stick with the standard one. You might be able to find them online in the $600-650 range if you search around enough.

My Tac has eaten everything, including all of my reloads. My FNP 45 that I had before it was the same way, ate up everything (had 2700 rounds through that one)

Reactions: dralison

·
Registered
60 Posts
My advice: buy BOTH!! The tac is awesome, but the FNX 45 feels totally natural.:arrow:

--let us know what you bought!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My advice: buy BOTH!! The tac is awesome, but the FNX 45 feels totally natural.:arrow:

--let us know what you bought!
Both?!? As much as I'd like to, I'm limiting myself to one gun this month. Just bought the FNS-9 last month!

I did get the FX-45 today though - appreciate all the feedback!

Details and pics in the next post!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought my FX-45 today!

I went to my LGS and pondered over the decision: FX-45 or FX-45 Tactical. He had a DE Tactical model but in the end I decided the black FX-45 was for me. His tagged price was $749 and he brought the price down to $699 for me. I could have gotten it online in the $600 range but adding in FFL and shipping—and supporting my LGS—made it a lot easier to pull the trigger.

As soon as I got it home I field stripped it, cleaned it up, used my Fire Clean on it and have it ready to take to the range in the next few days.

Without further ado, here are some pre-shooting pics I just took:

fx45-1.jpg fx45-2.jpg fx45-3.jpg fx45-4.jpg fx45-5.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback - I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
Congrats on the FNX!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Grats on your gun!

I love my FNX-45. I got it for 599 on gunbroker, after shipping and background check and everything I was in for less than $650 all told, and it came with an extra mag (used but still good). I'm really happy with it.

The only complaint I have is that with the TLR-2 series tac-light/laser combos (great buy also), the light/laser sticks out about half an inch past the barrel, and does get hit with burning powder. The top of my TLR-2G is all black (there's a silver ring that goes around it), and the lens is either burnt or has a very very tough stain on it, I'm unable to clean the residue (I'm assuming) off, but it still works. I can see a problem after several hundreds of rounds being fired ruining the lens. I don't know if it's replaceable or not, but it is a slight irk considering I paid $280 for it.

I personally don't think a red dot or HWS is necessary for a pistol when you can equip a green laser, they are easily visible (at least to me, 20/10 vision) at over 25 yards in broad daylight.

I've heard Winchester White Box and Aguila can have FTE with this pistol when it's new, and I've personally had like 2 FTE with WWB early on while breaking mine in, but that was it, gun has performed great other than those 2 FTE's and I have over 500 rounds through it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Excellent choice, you won't regret it. My FNX is the softest shooting .45 ACP I've ever owned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love my FN FNX 45

it is a fantastic gun and holds 13 + 1

I decided against buying the tactical as I would never put a silencer on it

I personally like the looks better w/o the threaded barrel.

i bought the two tone and it pretty -

Bought KY Guns for less than $600

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went to my LGS and pondered over the decision: FX-45 or FX-45 Tactical. He had a DE Tactical model but in the end I decided the black FX-45 was for me. His tagged price was $749 and he brought the price down to $699 for me. I could have gotten it online in the $600 range but adding in FFL and shipping—and supporting my LGS—made it a lot easier to pull the trigger.

As soon as I got it home I field stripped it, cleaned it up, used my Fire Clean on it and have it ready to take to the range in the next few days.

Without further ado, here are some pre-shooting pics I just took:

View attachment 24760 View attachment 24761 View attachment 24762 View attachment 24763 View attachment 24764

Thanks again for the feedback - I really appreciate it.
Congratulations on the purchase and especially supporting your LGS. After all is said and done most online after additional fees only save about $50. Spending theat money locally helps all and keeps them in business. I loved my FNX 45 so much within 2 months I picked up the tactical.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations on the purchase and especially supporting your LGS. After all is said and done most online after additional fees only save about $50. Spending theat money locally helps all and keeps them in business. I loved my FNX 45 so much within 2 months I picked up the tactical.
Thanks! I feel very strongly about supporting my LGS. I don't buy everything there but if I use the LGS to check out something in person I will almost always buy it from them. I may haggle on the price and try to get it as low as I can but I want the guy to stay in business.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the FNX 45 (non-Tactical). Paid just over 600 including tax at a dealer about 100 miles away.

Heck, I paid more for my FNX 40 at a local dealer.

The first ammo I shot in the 45 was Precision One 230 FMJ and for some the FNX 45 did not like it....other ammos worked great and with about 1000 rounds through it since not a single problem....the funny thing is that my Bersa 45 UC Pro (well broken in) shot the Precision One ammo just fine...go figure.

The 45 is a fine shooting gun. I wish I could shoot as well as it does. And my FNX 40 is fantastic also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As much as I wanted the tactical with the RMR mount, out here in Cali these things require a bit more thought, like Jail, due to threaded barrel :) ended up with a FNX45 in FDE. 300 rounds of various and not a single hick-up. FrogLube everywhere. Of course out here where the pistol is not on the California Roster one has to purchase SSE, again adding to the cost, and 10+1 mags. So $830 out the door for me, but worth it. Looking for a FNX45T slide.

Might pickup a FNS9 for the wifey next month.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts