FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about doing an SBR and unsure what rout to go, should I go SBR Scar 16, or AR? if I go scar i'm limited on calibers so i'm thinking AR platform, then I can do the 300 BLK and 223/5.56, so then should I use my Diamond Back pistol for the SBR or one of my many bushmasters, Rock rivers S&W, I don,t think I should use my Les Baer custom so would it be best to buy a LWRC or another brand, if i'm going to do the stamp for an SBR and wait months to get it then i want it to be worth my time, I should be all set on the cans and will be using the M4-2000 and SDN-6 cans on the SBR.

Thanks in advance for all you'r help and recommendations.:)

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I am in same dilemma..I am doing both my MR556 lowers for my 416 uppers (and whatever else I get). Then I am going to buy either a KAC, DD, or Noveske 300 Blackout and SBR that lower also eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I did the AR first so I could do something similar, run multiple uppers in different lengths and calibers and now I'm doing another SCAR16 SBR. If you can swing the extra $200 for a second stamp I'd say just get both going at the same time because if your thinking about doing the SCAR like I was you'll end up doing it in the end and you might as well get it out of the way now. :mrgreen: Otherwise I'd do the AR first, I don't regret doing the AR's, just wish I'd got the SCAR out of the way too now.

Reactions: rslsss

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the AR first so I could do something similar, run multiple uppers in different lengths and calibers and now I'm doing another SCAR16 SBR. If you can swing the extra $200 for a second stamp I'd say just get both going at the same time because if your thinking about doing the SCAR like I was you'll end up doing it in the end and you might as well get it out of the way now. :mrgreen: Otherwise I'd do the AR first, I don't regret doing the AR's, just wish I'd got the SCAR out of the way too now.
I would love to do both and might but I just dropped quite a bit of money on 5 more cans and it's not that i cant do both but doing both from the dog house will be difficult no internet :lol:, also what barrel length for the 300 BLK works best, all of my AR's are DI should I buy a dedicated piston AR, i'm just not sure of what would be my best approach.::FF::

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I would love to do both and might but I just dropped quite a bit of money on 5 more cans and it's not that i cant do both but doing both from the dog house will be difficult no internet :lol:, also what barrel length for the 300 BLK works best, all of my AR's are DI should I buy a dedicated piston AR, i'm just not sure of what would be my best approach.::FF::
The BATFE must have you on the preferred list for all the tax money you are sending them. LOL!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The BATFE must have you on the preferred list for all the tax money you are sending them. LOL!
I'm e-filing this time and my FFL said the e-file is messing up now probably overloaded, it will be my luck thats it's faster now to go the paper rout.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Follow Talhoffers advice and just file for the SCAR and an AR now. Once you have the AR you'll hate the long barrel on the SCAR. I've had good luck with BO barrels from 8.0" to 12.0" and prefer piston uppers for suppressed use. Check out PWS piston uppers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow Talhoffers advice and just file for the SCAR and an AR now. Once you have the AR you'll hate the long barrel on the SCAR. I've had good luck with BO barrels from 8.0" to 12.0" and prefer piston uppers for suppressed use. Check out PWS piston uppers.
Thanks for the info, the SBR stuff is all new to me and I am considering the Scar 10" and the AR just unsure if I should use an existing lower or spend the money for a higher quality, also would you know how short of a barrel I can use with my SDN-6 W/300BLK or M4-2000 W/223/5.56 my AR pistol is like 7.5" i'm not sure if it's safe to use a can I don't want a baffle strike.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Give the larger bore clearance on the SDN I'd say it's safe on just about any length. I've used several cans on a 7.0" upper on an M-16 lower with no issues and believe me....they were HOT!!! I've used the M4-2000 on a 10.3" AR, 10" SCAR, PS90 and P90 with no issues.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thanks for the info, the SBR stuff is all new to me and I am considering the Scar 10" and the AR just unsure if I should use an existing lower or spend the money for a higher quality, also would you know how short of a barrel I can use with my SDN-6 W/300BLK or M4-2000 W/223/5.56 my AR pistol is like 7.5" i'm not sure if it's safe to use a can I don't want a baffle strike.
M4-2000 is no less than 10.5" from what I remember AAC saying.

762-SDN-6
8" on a .300AAC
10" on a 5.56
12.5" on a .308

This is just based on their "warranty" claims.

Your Bushmaster or Rock River lowers would be fine to use the quality is just as good, I have a stripped LWRC lower and it's no nicer fit or finish than the Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, ect... But if you just have to have something different like a LWRC lower I doubt anyone would stop you from needing one, I wouldn't use the Les Bear either. What ever lower you use unless it's matched to the upper there will be some amount of play between them.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
M4-2000 is no less than 10.5" from what I remember AAC saying.

762-SDN-6
8" on a .300AAC
10" on a 5.56
12.5" on a .308

This is just based on their "warranty" claims.

Your Bushmaster or Rock River lowers would be fine to use the quality is just as good, I have a stripped LWRC lower and it's no nicer fit or finish than the Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, ect... But if you just have to have something different like a LWRC lower I doubt anyone would stop you from needing one, I wouldn't use the Les Bear either. What ever lower you use unless it's matched to the upper there will be some amount of play between them.
I tried to call AAC today and find out on the barrel length for the cans but they were closed thanks Tal, I also have a CMMG and thinking that may be the one I will use because I don't shoot it much whats your thoughts on it good enough? If I do use one I have then I will do the SBR 16 10" now also.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I tried to call AAC today and find out on the barrel length for the cans but they were closed thanks Tal, I also have a CMMG and thinking that may be the one I will use because I don't shoot it much whats your thoughts on it good enough? If I do use one I have then I will do the SBR 16 10" now also.
I've never had my hands on a CMMG lower, I'd have to guess but I'd bet it is fine. The only "name brands" lowers I would NEVER buy EVER again is Olympic Arms and DSA, takedown pins were out of spec and required the uppers holes to be filed to fit on the DSA and the Olympics when the uppers were pined to the lowers the bolt carriers hit and jammed against the lower and buffer tube.

I'm sure someone on here can give you first hand experience on the CMMG lower.

Reactions: rslsss

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Rsisss--- here is what I did and why: I considered doing the scar. I almost did it- I changed my mind and went with the ar route. The scar would have been cooler but way more limited, and for price of barrel I can already have a new higher end lower and file for much less. I choose the ar also because I can use multiple uppers, they are cheap and easy to find and you can do many calibers. I decided to go with a higher end lower. Reason was that it is registered and needs to be higher end IMO as it is worth more than a "lower" and I hope to purchase several different uppers to interchange. I bought a chainsaw gen 2 noveske stripped and plan to build it. Giving me something to do over the time I wait, and cost me lower at the outset. I also want to build the lower as this is a special project I want to Learn everything I can and do with it the way I want to do it in the end. My parts including bcg are all lwrc for the longevity and I really have much faith in the lwrc product. I plan to do a 300 blackout upper, and maybe 9mm or a 5-7 upper. The first sbr upper I am doing is a noveske but gonna do a 12.5 with a flaming pig. I would have liked to do a 10- but got the 12 for a killer price. Best thing about a stopped lower is you can file for form1 right away.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Rsisss : my 2 thoughts pick up a nice lower stripped and build it or have it built. Your gonna want great quality as this is it, and you have time. You could probably sell a lower to give you start money! This way you learn, build, and make it
yours!! Can be anything you like.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can build one no problem but can't bring my self to sell one, really don't need to though, thanks for you'r input thats what I was wanting to know if I should buy a higher quality lower but at the same time i'v almost convinced myself to also do the 10" for the scar 16 I'm assuming the lower on the scar would need to be engraved and don't really like that, I wish I could see where it was to be engraved at do you know.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
I don't know- sure with tine people will speak up about where they did theirs. One thing to note-- with ar lower make sure you get one that says mulit caliber or doesn't specify or has all the calibers you could want. If u build one and it says 5.56 you can only use 5.56 sbr upper. My noveske doesn't specify a caliber so when I engrave-- gonna say " multi" on it so I can out any upper on it.
Good luck with the scar-- I may do it some day still. Just looks so good sbr'd. One sexy rifle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I dont think you have to worry about the caliber marked on the lower. On the rare occurance atf asks to look at your sbr, as long as you can put a rifle in front of them that matches your form 1 you should be gtg.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts