FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a FAL in the semi-near future. I understand that for a NIB FAL, DSA is pretty much the way to go. In all of my searching, however, I have come across a couple things that I'd trust you all to answer.

1. STG58 vs. SA58 - why the price difference? What other major differences are there?

2. DSA is the way, but what about other manufacturers...Enterprise Arms in particular, but include any others to stay away from or to consider?

Thanks all!

Drew

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stay away from Century and Enterprise... Century guns are mostly from parts kits (used), and you are really rolling the dice w/them. Enterprise receivers havehad "issues" from timt to time - for the most part they are ok (but do you want to take a chance?).

If you want to do a build, get an Imbel. Brazilian/Imbel is one of the only companies licensed by FN-Belgium to produce FALs. Get an Imbel receiver and go from there to build exactly the style/model you want. Argentine/FMAP pre-bans are also an FN-Belgium licensed gun - they are cheaper to acquire than a "real" FN, but harder to locate than an Imbel.

DSA will be by far the simplest to acquire and the best overall new gun you can get. Even the FN Reps on this web sight reccomend DSA. You can get whichever model of receiver you want, new parts, excellent assembly, good cust service (rarely needed). It may take a while to get the specific model you want, but it will be well worth the wait.

I have an Imbel, but have several friends w/DSAs and they are all awesome guns. I REALLY want a DSA Para/Congo but can't justfy spending the coin right now because I already have a FAL + I'm trying to save money for a SCAR.

STG-58 = Austrian military FAL. SA-58 = DSA semi-auto production version. Akin to saying "M-16" vs "AR-15."

hope this has helped

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Well, kinda off topic but since it is mentioned here...what is the projected time frame on a civilian SCAR being sold?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STG-58 = Austrian military FAL. SA-58 = DSA semi-auto production version. Akin to saying "M-16" vs "AR-15."
Just to clear up...the "new" STG58's that are for sale on DSA's site, then, are actually Austrian receivers in a semi-auto config?

Drew

·
Registered
980 Posts
A century is like rolling dice, you could deffinatly get a crappy one. But there are century receiver FALs out there that are just as reliable and accurate as any FN or DSA. I wouldn't totally discredit a century FAL, but I'd want some kind of short-term guarantee, or chance to shoot it before purchasing.
If you have mechanical aptitude building your own FAL is easy and fun, the guys at FAL files will help, it's quite cheap, and you'll get just what you want.
I really recommend that route. My FAL is very me and it was fun putting it together.
If money is no object just pick up a DSA! They are the best.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The DSA STG-58s are made on their receivers - not Austrian. As for the dwindling supply of Austrian parts, I'm not sure. By now, the barrels are prob US-made(Again - can't be sure though).

·
Registered
8 Posts
FAl

I have a para FAL,and had a early imbel import that the only diff was the para stock. I like the flip sight (150-250) better then the unprotcted 600m, they seem to loosen up over time. the imbel shot a one hole group, off the bench at 50yds with mil 7.62, 10rds. The DS arms may be hundreds more but well worth it. I have seen quite a few DS arms and they all worked very well with no trouble, that is, DS guns put together by them, as they do sell a most lovely reciver for you to build a kit from. as far as I know, the differance between the SA58 and STG58 para's is a steel lower on the STG58, alum on the SA58, a very noticeable wt. change. there was a felt recoil differance between my Para and the full stocked model, Para is a little more. just bought a IZZY HB FAL, looking very forward to shooting that, prone of course. good luck, and pony up the money for a DSA built gun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DSA Stg58: New DSA receiver (marked SA58), US made compliance parts and as many Austrian surplus parts as they can use. Heard they are out of Austrian barrels now.

DSA SA58: New US manufactured rifle (might be a few surplus parts). Easiest way to ID is by the aluminum lower receiver.

Either one of them will serve you well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts