FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not trying to start fights, just curious and need some convincing. I’ve always like the Tommy’s and have several. And really been looking at the PS-90 for a while now but can’t quite convince myself this worth the money. I’ve always been a milled and lathed with wood kind of shooter, I like to think I get my money from the work at least. These are stamped and molded and 2x the price of well….almost anyting at $1600 to $1800 dollars. And you can’t buy the AP round they were designed. So is the lesser round any good or accurate? By the way, why can you not buy AP round for this rifle but get the same results with the standard .223 and FS2000? I’m grasping for straws here, I’ve been a big fan of the little feller forever and now I’m reaching for an excuse, convenience me. I’m really mad at Kahr arms right now and I’ve always been a big Browning fan. Convert me, educate me.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think U can't buy it because they make a small handgun that can shoot these same rounds....

I love my PS90 and do not regret buying it. Very sweet. I've also spent a fortune w/ accessories I've attached to it. But, I will admit that I think the $1499 I paid for mine is $500 too much. I don't see why the gun should have that high of a price. Nice ARs are around the $900 mark, and the PS90 has a good portion of it being polymer.

But, I sucked it up and bought it anyway because I knew I'd be craving one forever if I didn't just buy one :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why are you mad at Kahr Arms?

The PS90 is unique. What other 26 inch, 50 round carbines are there?

I always wanted a P90 since I first saw one. I was excited to hear there would be a civvie version. I waited to see how things went and for the prices to go down. I paid $1499 at a local store.

I wanted a short rifle that could be used for home defense. I wanted something 30 inches or less long. That rules out almost everything but the Beretta Storm and that never seemed to take off like I had hoped.

I looked at the AR-15's too. I was liking CMMG and to get one configured like I want would be close to $1500 and about 34 inches long. I'd like to see how the 6.8 SPC works out before getting an AR anyway.

I wish the PS90 fired a little bigger round like the KAC PDW 6x35mm, but the 5.7x28mm will do. Out of the 16 inch rifle I figure it hits a bit harder than the 9mm and I don't have to worry about overpenetration. The 5.7x28 shouldn't be nearly as loud as some alternatives like the .223 for firing indoors. Unlike the pistol caliber carbines, the 5.7x28mm will set off Tannerite. I'm not sure if .30 Carbine will or not. I kind of doubt it.

You picked a good time to consider getting a PS90 as the tri-rail version is now coming out. Don't worry about it not having a sight as you would more than likely replace the sight on the regular PS90 anyway.

If you want a handy, fun, unique firearm that is proven, has a military heritage, and that can be banned at any moment then the PS90 is for you :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The PS90 should NOT be compared to a .223 and it really should be considered more of an improved sub gun round over the 9mm, .40 or .45. If you don't own another rifle, go buy something else first. Sig just came out with their 556 and there are a ton of trick, new rifles coming out in what I would consider RIFLE CALIBERS on the market.

With that said, if you want something that is cool as Shiitte, looks like nothing else out there, has the lightest recoil of any subgun, and is ergonomically superiour to anything else out there for CQB (with the exception of the sight), BUY ONE!!! I paid $1,800 for my frickin' black one back when they were more scarce, but I figured this is a luxury gun with a high coolness factor. I would definitely be more likely to reach for this in my home than I would my AK-47 because of over penetration issues and loved ones in the next room.

One more thought on CQB... this (when I finally SBR it) is the only carbine I have ever shouldered that I could quick-peak sideways through a standard doorway without dropping the muzzle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALL THE STATS I'VE SEEN ARE FOR THE BANNED ROUND. ARE THEY VIRTYALLY THE SAME FOR THE CIVI ROUND YOU CAN BUY. ARE THEY THAT MUCH BETTER THAN AN UNDERFOLDER AK? AND WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE? ANY OTHER REASON THAN SOMEONE IS MAKING LOTS OF CASH OFF THIS? WHAT RANGE DOES A USED ONE FOR? GIVE ME SOME MORE.........AMMO! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I think U can't buy it because they make a small handgun that can shoot these same rounds....
Bingo! All because of the concealable FN FiveseveN. AP rifle rounds aren't illegal but hundgun rounds are. If they didn't make a pistol, I'm sure that it would still be available to us civies today.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
ALL THE STATS I'VE SEEN ARE FOR THE BANNED ROUND. ARE THEY VIRTYALLY THE SAME FOR THE CIVI ROUND YOU CAN BUY. ARE THEY THAT MUCH BETTER THAN AN UNDERFOLDER AK? AND WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE? ANY OTHER REASON THAN SOMEONE IS MAKING LOTS OF CASH OFF THIS? WHAT RANGE DOES A USED ONE FOR? GIVE ME SOME MORE.........AMMO! :lol:
Welcome to the board Chicago. Please do me a favor and drop the CAPS.
Have fun,

-TH

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, not meaning to scream, habit of my job. My world consists of Times New Roman, size 8, all caps!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No much worse, I'm your friendly yellow and red German postal service! I got your Sportsmen Guide right here buddy! :lol:

Anyway, went to the gun show this week end, only 2 ps-90’s in the whole place. Like the motto says if you hunting for retail here you won’t find it ( cause it cost more!) Best deal I could muster was $1599 …so I passed. Is there any chance this these things come down from the sky anytime soon? Best price on the ammo I priced was 23 a box. Does this sound right? Does the future hold any cheaper ammo? Also is there a "parts kit" for these yet? If so what do they run?

Thanks again,
Bob

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I heard that the factory was going up $100 on the wholesale price. I was lucky to get my black one for $1499 in Dec. They are at all major gunshows here in TX, however.

There are some online dealers that U can get good prices on, if U don't mind dealing that way.

Gander Mountain wants $24 for the 195 and $29 for the 197. That is ridiculous. I pay $19.67 for a box of 197 here locally.

Only parts kit I have seen is from CMMG, and he wants like $2000 for the kit. That's ridiculous...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll bet this set up would be a hoot with at suppressor! Has anyone tried one yet? Just curious!

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the price of domestic made, MP5, MP40 clones are all $1.5k and up. I don't see it is too pricey.

Imagine people pay just as much for those guns and more often than not, still can't get it to work right.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assume the MP-7 would be the closest rival to the PS-90. The 4.6 x 30 mm cartridge has very similar characteristics to the 5.7. Does anyone have any experience with this weapon? Does the mp-7 even have a semi auto only version? It would be a hoot and a holler to compare them both!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an MP7A1 Full Auto, but am still waiting for the P90 / PS90.

It's really fun to shoot, and Ammo is easy to get here, as it's manufactured in Switzerland. Ok, it's not as cheat as 9mm, but still cheaper than 5.7 ammo.

Recoil is almost not there, and accuracy out to 150 Meters is outstanding.

Only downside: Those 30 roung mags are empty way too fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts