FN Herstal Firearms banner

Convince an AUG owner

8K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  jhs27275 
#1 · (Edited)
I currently have an authentic (not MSAR) Steyr AUG A3. It's great. I only fired about 200 rounds through it, but have not had a problem yet. Steyr told the Australians that you can run a truck over it and it will still work.

But, I am not quite a fan of the vertical grip on the AUG, yes you can fold it down, but that is only for putting it on a rest. It is not practical to hold it like that. Also, it has a 1/9 twist barrel. I did order a 1/7 CHF twist FN made barrel for it, because I believe 75 grain bullets are the future of 5.56, but it's $530 for the barrel. $530 on top of a $2200 rifle, ouch. Main thing that gets me about the AUG is the vertical grip, I'd rather have a traditional grip like the FS2000. Plus that flashlight mod looks pretty cool. And I believe that you can also mod the front grip (or any other part of the clamshell) to cleanly have a set of Vltor Modpods (ModPod (Modular Side Mounted Bipod) - Vltor Weapons Systems). Can't really have a bipod on the AUG at all, even with modding. Also, how is the stock iron sights? Has anyone tried to make the rear sight hole larger for more practicality?

I see green FS2000s, but the front grip is black. Do they also come in green?

The AUG is battle proven, how's the FS2000? I know that they were used in the Libyan conflict. I've seen photos of a American 'war tourist' in Libya with a captured F2000 with a suppressor attached. I thought I read that the muzzle breaks were pinned on. How well do they suppress? Are there suppressor/flash hider attachments you can get for them?

I know there is some bias, but would you rather have an AUG or a FS2000? I'm considering it. The AUG is great, but I'm just looking for something a bit different.

Another different thing is that there is basically little to no forum support for the AUG. Even on the official sites there is not many people.

Can you still buy these rifles new?

Oh, and bonus points for anyone who knows the connection between my username and the FS2000.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reading you post, sounds like you'd rather have the FS2000.

The hand grip only comes black. Many different contries use the 2000.

The 2000 IS different, well balanced BTW.

They can be found new, bit of a shortage right now.

Universal Soldier, fictional character, played by Jean-Claude Van Damme, who is Belgian.

#3 · (Edited)
“Also, it has a 1/9 twist barrel. I did order a 1/7 CHF twist FN made barrel for it, because I believe 75 grain bullets are the future of 5.56, but it's $530 for the barrel. $530 on top of a $2200 rifle, ouch.”

77gr are most likely to become the future of the 5.56 round but at around $1 a shot it adds up pretty quick. You can shoot .308 for that price. I kind of wish the FS had 1/9 twist because I primarily shoot 55gr anyways but the FS still groups 55 pretty good in a 1/7 so no biggie there. $0.30 a shot vs. $1 a shot means that I can shoot 3 times the amount and be spending essentially the same.

“Also, how is the stock iron sights?”

They are just okay IMO. I’m able to shoot a pretty tight group at 25 yards when everything is well lit. In darker indoor ranges it can be tough. I had an AP Micro that was recommended to me by chubby fingers and I hated it ($700 mistake). I was having trouble picking up the dot when I was shooting with my off hand. I’m sure I would have gotten better but I don’t shoot a whole lot so it was like starting over ever time I went to the range. I’ve since switched to a Trijicon SRS and it made the dot acquisition so much faster no matter which shoulder I was shooting from. The larger aperture (I think that’s the word) made it better choice.

“Has anyone tried to make the rear sight hole larger for more practicality?”

? There is nothing wrong with the backup sights.

“I see green FS2000s, but the front grip is black. Do they also come in green?”

You can just rattlecan it. Replacement foreends can be had for around $20 IIRC

“The AUG is battle proven, how's the FS2000? I know that they were used in the Libyan conflict. I've seen photos of a American 'war tourist' in Libya with a captured
F2000 with a suppressor attached.”

It’s made by FNH. What more do you need to know? Are you planning on visiting a 2 way range?

“I thought I read that the muzzle breaks were pinned on.”

Yes. If you drill out the side to remove the pin they come off. You will destroy the stock FH this way though.

“How well do they suppress?”

They suppress to hearing safe levels with a good can. (That’s what I’ve read. I do not own a suppressor).

“Are there suppressor/flash hider attachments you can get for them?”

As long as the threads on the accessory line up with the barrel threads you are good. Threads are 9/16x24 LH.

“I know there is some bias, but would you rather have an AUG or a FS2000? I'm considering it. The AUG is great, but I'm just looking for something a bit different.”

Why not have both? I prefer the FS because of the better barrel, better ejection, more mag options, says FNH on the side, and it feels like a better rifle.

“Another different thing is that there is basically little to no forum support for the AUG. Even on the official sites there is not many people.”

? There are quite a few forums with bullpup subforums that have quite a bit of information. There also seems to be more aftermarket support too. I guess that means that the FS doesn’t require much tweaking or part’s to make it work how you want it to work.

“Can you still buy these rifles new?”

Yes. You might pay a little more. Just buy a used one and take the money you save to buy ammo or accessories. I recommend contact@StrykerEnt.com for any parts you might need. Good prices and good service.

#4 ·
Biggest FS2000 plus for me over any other bullpup rifle is forward case ejection. This makes the rifle truly ambidextrous right from the jump without any need to switch any parts around or obtain different parts. All you have to do is switch shoulders. You can use any manner of cover or concealment from either side without worry of cases bouncing back into your face, and transition with no effort from one side to the other as circumstances require. How many other semiauto rifles of any kind offer such flexibility in such a high quality package?

#13 ·
As LazarusLong said, that is what I like best. I ran my FS2000 and an AUG in a training class last fall and while the AUG has some nice features the ability to switch shoulders without making any adjustment to account for flying brass is a super big plus. As a reloader, having my brass just fall in a pile is really nice. As long as you have any steel or aluminum NATO mags you are good to go for the FS. I may get an AUG someday, since it is a really nice rifle but to me the total ambi ability of the FS makes it my go to rifle.

#8 ·
i think the main trump card the aug has over the FS2000...quick change barrels. so with that in mind, how fast can you switch to 300 blackout?

#10 ·
Of course I have more than 1 gun. And the AUG is cool, but not cool enough to justify not having a few extra thousand dollars for other stuff.

I tired to rent one out at a local range. The range clerks said that they dont allow rentals unless you bring your own gun or another person, to "prevent suicides". :neutral:

But I did handle one at the purchasing counter area. It felt lighter than my AUG, but it just might be better balanced.

#15 ·
Full Assault, want a 1/7 barrel for your AUG?
He sold the AUG I think. Because he goes through guns like I do socks :-D !!! I'll bet he knows his way around hundreds of platforms though.

Reactions: FullAssault
#17 ·
I knew I always wanted a bullpup rifle to replace the shotgun for under-the-bed/midnight pest control due to the shorter length and resulting increased maneuveablity indoors, plus the lower felt recoil and faster follow-up shots. After reviewing and handling both, I thought about the pro's and con's for each rifle:

Aug pro's:
1) Interchangeable barrels give you the capability to go from CQC rifle to a DMR rifle. For me, personally, if I want a DMR or Recce, I'll buy a different rifle. Not an issue.
2) Slimmer Profile. But not enough to noticably affect handling.
3) Balances a little bit closer to the rear than the FS (for me, anyway, and that's only after about a box of ammo through one). But again, only barely noticable side-by side. That may or may not be the case after optics, lights, lasers, and a microwave oven get mounted on the front end.
4) Nato version takes just about any magazine. Austrian pattern takes readily available 42 rounders. I'm not invested in hundreds of P-mags. Stanag mags are just fine with me.
5) Reliable service history of about two or three decades. Well, FN's been making military firearms for a long time, too. My research has indicated that the root of the vast majority (if not all) of the FS reliablity complaints are due to the operators trying to run the FS like an AR or HK. I have yet to hear any complaints from folks that run them in accordance with the factory's manual of arms.

FN FS2000 Pro's
Forward ejection plus control layout makes it 100 percent ambidextrous, making transitions from shoulder to shoulder much easier. As a tool to be (hopefully never) used to protect the life of me and my family, this is of utmost importance to me, especially since I'm a long-gun lefty. Sure, I can buy a LH bolt kit for an AUG, and train to modify my RH cheek weld so I don't get brass in my ear. Why? I would rather spend the money and time training for marksmanship and indoor CQC.

In all fairness, take the above with a grain of salt, since I'm a noobie. FYI, I picked up my FS2000 (OD Green) about an hour ago. Can't wait to take her to the range this weekend, and find a good carbine course in the Austin area.

#19 ·
I used to have a NATO stock for my AUG. One thing I noticed about it was that magazine eject button was quite stiff since the button has to transfer energy 90 degrees for the mag catch, while the Steyr pattern mags release like butter because of the way the mag catch is orientated in-line with the mag release button.

#20 ·
One more thing: If a VFG is a must have for your rifle, the AUG comes with one installed with no added cost in money, weight, or balance. For me, this did not outweigh the full ambi consideration. I've got a gently used tri-rail on the way, but I'll have to do some dry work with and without to see if it aids transitions from shoulder to shoulder enough to justify the extra weight. I'll try to keep an open mind.

#21 ·
I would probably stick with the AUG over the FS2000 because I dont like the malfunction clearing process on the FS2000 (lifting the little flap and fingering it lol)....plus i dont think the FS has a bolt hold open which would drive me crazy. Have you considered the Tavor?

#23 ·
The FS does have a bolt hold open. However, one can only engage it when manually pulling back the bolt; it does not catch automatically on an empty magazine, which is what you are probably thinking of here. As mentioned earlier, people who want a gun that runs like an AR should get an AR.

#26 ·
I've got a AUG and a FS2k. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The AUG is heavy but compact, the FS bulky but lighter.

You can shoot a AUG off side, and you'll get hit with brass in the face.

My FS2000 hasn't had a stoppage once I learned to fully seat the mags. Clearing the resulting doublefeed was easy. Strip the mag, run the CH, insert fresh mag. As for not having a auto BHO, I think that's a result of the ejected case handling. If the FS bolt stayed back after the last round it would leave the fired case somewhere in the switch and not under positive control.

The FS2000 solves the problem of needing to swap parts for shooters to be able use a bullpup from either should.

The AUG is simpler and looks fricken' cool.

H

#30 ·
I have a magazine with bent up feeds lips that is prone to problems feeding in my FS2000. I like practicing with that mag as it has been a good way to practice failure drills. Very often, all I have to do is pull the mag and rack it a few time to clear everything out. Sometimes I get a real good gummed up double feed, and I just separate the upper and lower pull the messed up casings out and slide it all back together. It's not difficult and it goes very fast once you get used to it.

In fact, I kind of wish the FS2000 lower had some sort of a lock that would prevent the upper from sliding all the way off when engaged. The biggest problem I have with clearing is sometimes I slide the upper farther forward than I'd like.

What can I say, to each their own. I shoot from both sides all the time, and the ease of use of the FS2000 in that capacity is worth any drawbacks you might come up with. Same goes for the H&K SL8/G36 set up. I love the complete ambidextrous operation there.

#31 ·
Practice is a good thing. :?

#33 ·
Well, my 1/7 AUG barrel was "lost" in the mail. And when "it resurfaces", will automatically be shipped back to the supplier.

NEVER USE USPS TO SHIP EXPENSIVE ITEMS.

I'm going to get a FS2000 I've decided.
Seems like someone had a bad case of the "purchase regrets".

Whatever you say OP...

#35 · (Edited)
i myself decided to get an FS2K. i back out getting MSAR 4GEN, STEYR AUG NATO and TAVOR. Even thou FS2k is much more complicated and intricate on trigger group and bolt asssembly i prefer because of the courteous design, which a shooter is sealed from gas and brass discharge. just me, it looks nicer than the rests and i will look badass on it.lol!

#36 ·
I did pick up an almost brand new FS2000. Love it. People may say that it's bulky and ugly, but when handling it and shouldering it it is not bulky at all. Some people complain about how it can be difficult to seat the mag properly, but in all honesty they must be sissy wristed nancy pants. I have no problem.

I plan to camo paint it with Alumahyde II.

#37 ·
Congrats!!!

It looks bulky, but as you said it isn't. Very well balanced.

#38 ·
Well, the FS2K *is* fat and bulky compared to some other slimmer alternatives. It has never posed a problem for me though, and I've even come to prefer it.

I can't see why anyone would take any other bullpup out there over the FS2K, except for collector's item sake. AUG's and Tavors will probably make better collector's items, I would think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.