·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cops kill dog during search of Springs home

August 8, 2008 - 5:01PM
By BRIAN HUGHES
THE GAZETTE

A Labrador-pit bull was shot and killed by police inside a south-central home Friday afternoon inches from where the homeowner was showering.

"I was taking a shower, when all the sudden I heard this loud pop," Deanna Gonzales said. "I jumped out of the shower naked and saw my dog whimpering on the ground."

Officers were responding to a tip that Francisco Aragon, a 28-year-old wanted on felony and misdemeanor charges including escape, was at the Rio Grande Street house, said Colorado Springs Police Sgt. Tim Hogan.

The dog lunged at an officer, biting him on the right wrist, police said.

The dog then retreated and was coming back at the officers when a second officer shot the dog, police said.

"They had permission to be in the house, they did nothing wrong," Hogan said.

The officer had abrasions on his arm from the dog's teeth, Hogan said, but did not require stitches.

Gonzales said it was a misunderstanding, and she doesn't know Aragon.

Police did not find Aragon, Hogan confirmed.

Gonzales' children let police into the house to look for the fugitive while Gonzales showered, she said.

Her daughter put Gemini, a 2-year-old Labrador-pit bull in the bathroom with her to keep him out of the way, Gonzales said

Police opened the bathroom door and the dog pounced.

Hogan said the officer took the necessary steps for self-defense.

"Sometimes that's the only option they have," he said. "It's just one of those things."

As police searched the house, the Gonzales' other dogs roamed around the yard, oblivious to the spectators.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/house_39096___article.html/police_officer.html

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What a load of crap, something is really wrong with cops these days. Don't cops have batons or have they become to high speed low drag and forgot how to use one?

I did not know that Juveniles had the ability to grant permission to search a home? That just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm with devildoc, A lot of BS.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Around here a few weeks ago some SWAT SPEC-OP-WANNABEES mistakenly broke into the town mayor's house without a proper warrant and killed his golden lab. They must have been afraid of being licked to death or being knocked unconscious by a wagging tail. A few bad apples can screw it up for other LEOs.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SELFDEFENSE said:
Around here a few weeks ago some SWAT SPEC-OP-WANNABEES mistakenly broke into the town mayor's house without a proper warrant and killed his golden lab. They must have been afraid of being licked to death or being knocked unconscious by a wagging tail. A few bad apples can screw it up for other LEOs.
I read about that too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts