FN Herstal Firearms banner

Could one SBR be many !

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  SONYtec 
#1 ·
So I've heard guys say when submitting a form 1 for a SBR to state the shortest barrel you would consider to run, and as long as you possess the shorter barrel length you could run a longer one and there would be no issues. My question is pertaining to the AR platform, if you have a stamp for your registered lower with a 7.5" barrel, would it be a issue to have several uppers with different length barrels to attach to your single registered lower ? Could this be considered constructive intent if you also would have other AR's that were not SBR's ? :th_confused0024:

#2 ·
Definitely a NO NO if you have other AR's, that would be constructive intent.

Not sure, if the AR SBR is the only AR you have. There have been different OPINION'S in regards to that.

Reactions: BOOMSLANG
#4 · (Edited)
You can have one registered lower and use different uppers on it. You basically register the original SBR specs on your form 1 and once approved, assemble it. If you get rid of the original barrel length upper for another SBR upper, then you're supposed to update the ATF with the permanent change. As far as using multiple uppers, yes you can use them on the single registered lower. Not sure if some states want to consider constructive intent, but swapping uppers hasn't been illegal AFAIK on registered lowers.

Now having a upper with barrel less than 16" and NO registered SBR lower that's assembled with a rifle stock, that would be seen as constructive intent.

#5 ·
I was just strolling through the SBR thread and saw the line-up of uppers and started thinking it would be cool if you could have one SBR and have different length uppers for it, that would be nice but defiantly not worth getting in a pile of sh!t over. It's amazing what we go through to try and comply within the laws and the hoops you jump through but they're willing to bust your balls if you would make one mistake, but the bad guys just don't give a f***. I recently purchased four cans, first NFA items for me and I tell you I was ready to throw the towel in a few times but finally got them submitted, now just pray it's all correct. What a PITA !

#9 ·
It's amazing what we go through to try and comply within the laws and the hoops you jump through but they're willing to bust your balls if you would make one mistake, but the bad guys just don't give a f***.
This is the thing that really burns me up. When THEY make a mistake YOU have do just deal with it. When you make a mistake, you get raked over the coals and YOU have to deal with that also.

#29 ·
#15 ·
No - my 1st registered M4 lower on a paper Form1 I was able to list several calibers (1 typed in and the others hand written in) this was like 2005 - Under caliber you can list multi - on your length you want to list the shortest upper you plan to run on the registered lower (in my case I went down to 5.5" with a OAL of 26") - If unsure and want to ensure a 1st time go try to find out who the examiner is for your state to get the proper clarification.

Buy a lower that is registered as 'Multi' if you can - I would also go as far as get a forged and one that already had ambi controls while your at it ;)

#20 ·
Just make sure that the Form 4473 for the AR15 lower is marked "handgun" then you can do anything with it that you want if you follow the law. But once a "rifle" lower, always a "rifle" lower as far as AR15 lowers are concerned. Even if the 4473 is marked "handgun", if you build the lower into a "rifle", the lower is always considered a "rifle" under the law. How would they know, they would not unless they get their hands on it if it is a rifle then again if it is a pistol. Not likely to happen, but it is the law and we are expected to follow the law no matter how stupid it is.

#22 ·
If it's a stripped lower, the 4473 is marked "other", unless your state has other rules. Also, a stripped lower can be built into an AR pistol, and then a rifle and back to a pistol. If it were built into a rifle first, then it would be a SBR if built with a barrel less than 16" or a pistol afterwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.