FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The taliban continues it's horrific crimes against women. About 10 taliban militants in central Afghanistan executed two women just outside Ghazni city on July 12 after accusing them of working as prostitutes on a U.S. Army base; however a spokesman for Ghazni's governor said the women were two "innocent local people.

The Associated Press Television News reports that the women were seated on the ground, clad from head to toe in blue burqas. They were shot and killed by face-covered taliban militants for allegedly running a prostitution ring catering to American soldiers and other foreign contractors at a U.S. base in Ghazni city, although military spokesman First Lt. Nathan Perry told Associated Press Television that he has never heard of "anything close to that nature" occurring on base.

Gruesome, stomach-churning photos were taken by AP photographer Rahmatullah Naikzad, who was with a crew near the site of the executions. They heard the gunshots and filmed from some distance. The next day Associated Press Television filmed the bodies of the two women lying in the dirt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Taliban or cruel evil people. Frankly, and I know this sounds bad, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. They can do whatever they want to whomever they want and they justify thier actions by saying that it was Allah's will. That is a normal response for them if they think someone is helping us out. The two women were probably just seamstresses, chow hall workers or laundry personnel. A bunch of psychopathic jerk-offs if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Anyone know how the Taliban took power in Afganistan? I think it had something to do with the US supporting them during the Afgan-Russin war. I think we called them Freedom fighters back then.

That whole area's economy is based on opium. The Taliban are funded by Opium drug money. In 2005 we stopped spraying and burning the poppy fields, and now the Taliban are back and fighting is on the rise. Big supprise?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
While Devil Doc is correct that we funded and provided arms to Mujahideen in the 80's to break the soviets, I disagree that we created the problem in it's entirety. The CIA was more apt to fund the less extreme more moderate Muj, whereas the Pakistani ISI were the ones providing more support to the extreme Islamist Muj (I agree that we funded Pakistan in doing this as well), who turned out to be more effective at fighting the soviets. They also happened to be the ones who filled the void in the in-fighting that occurred after the soviets were expelled and civil war between the Northern Alliance (moderates) and the various extremist factions took place. So while you can argue that we created the problem, in reality we were only one factor in many that caused the chaos. The most important contributor will always be extremist teachings coming from the Madrassa's in neighboring Pakistan and the Pakistani tribal support of extreme militant Islam. We also made the mistake of not doing more to fill the void after the war, but we were more interested at that time in defeating the soviets in the cold war.

If you're really interested in the history of the Mujahideen during the soviet invasion, I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Afghanistan-Bear-Trap-Defeat-Superpower/dp/0971170924

1 - 5 of 5 Posts