FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE:

Okay I have not had the time to call FN untill today. I got ahod of the service dep and told them about the mags. Now instead of replacing them they want to take a look at the gun. So now I have to box up my baby and send it in.

Well 3 out of 4 mags have cracked. The 30 rounder that came with the gun has the least cracking but the two 50 rounders I have bought have not done so well.

The 30 rounder has by far more round though it (~350) adn the two fifty rounders have about (100-150) rounds each. I have either pressed them into the gun or pulled the latch back to insert the mags. I will be contacting FN about sending them in.

Pics:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Not good...

Are you slapping the mags into the gun instead of pushing them down and holding the lock at the same time? Have they been dropped on the ground while swopping mags?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You stold my thunder Ship, I was going to ask the same question. I've put over 400 rounds through the mag I use at the range with no ill effects. The only other question I can think to ask is "was it freezing outside where the mags were used?"

Wow, these mags appear to have taken a direct hit at the same point. It sure looks like they were dropped into a hard surface though.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes. I have 9 mags, and none look like that.

I'm also somewhat careful with them since they ARE polymer.

Also, on one of the Q&A sessions with the FN rep here, it was stated that the mags last longer if you don't drag the round along the feed lips when loading it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No exesive slaping, I did it a few times it the 30 rounder and it faired the best and none have been dropped

As for thermal changes, Each time I have shot them it has been between 50-60 degrees and then have not been out side in the cold at all.

·
Registered
857 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Yes. I have 9 mags, and none look like that.

I'm also somewhat careful with them since they ARE polymer.

Also, on one of the Q&A sessions with the FN rep here, it was stated that the mags last longer if you don't drag the round along the feed lips when loading it.
Just being polymer (plastic) is not the problem
plastic can be extreamly strong, they make boat drives out of them and i have seen them hit with a sledgehammer with out any dammage

It's the quality/type of plastic that's being used that's the problem

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've seen this type of thing posted before. I'm thinking since it happens to many different people even when being gentle on them. There must be a stress point at that part of the gun. If that is the case I am glad the mags are cracking and not the stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hope this helps.

Before retiring, I had the opportunity to use an FN-303 at work. This was an early model. The magazine was very different, however there was a clear plastic cover on the rear. This part started out appearing perfect, but over a period of time began to show spontaneous cracking. F.N. was advised of the problem and sent replacement covers, stating that they had a problem with the "releasing agent" used in the manufacture.

Perhaps this has no relation to the problem reported in this post, but I throw this out for your consideration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you try using some kind of superglue on the magazines?
The discoloration looks like the hazing I've seen when using superglue on plastics.

I am currently a department armor for both P90/ FN 303..
The 303 magazines did have a problem with cracking inside the clear plastic covers on the rotary bags..the cracked never caused any kind of failures..but were just cosmetically damaged.

FN replaced them and the older covers were the ones prone to the cracking..those were all first generation plastics..
The magazines on your PS90 might be from the same batch of plastics..

Try contacting FN..they may have a better answer than I.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No CA glue or glue of any type were used.

I have not had the time to get ahold of FN yet, just trying to get time at home is hard enough.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I wonder if an over-tight fit might be causing the problem. I'm thinking of this because the area where the mag is held to the stock looks like it could be the origin of the cracks.

I have 300+ rounds through my mags, and I've never been gentle with them, and they haven't cracked. Weird.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
"Promoted Pawn" I wonder if an over-tight fit might be causing the problem. I'm thinking of this because the area where the mag is held to the stock looks like it could be the origin of the cracks.
That was my thought when I read the above replies. It seems to be happening to certain guns. If it is happening to owners who are not slamming the mags in, and it is happening to all the mags they use in their gun, maybe it is the tight fit.

Does someone want to pose this question to FNMAN?

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
That made me wonder....could the firing action be "shifting" the barrel and frame realtive to the polymer stock....causing stress on the mag?

You know, kind of like when you see the movies of how the AK-47 wobbles back and forth as the bolt slamms forward and back....perhaps the same thing happens.....on a much smaller scale since the design of the P90 is so much better?

·
Banned
23 Posts
This is what is keeping me from buying one of these. Every time I handle one of the mags they feel so damn cheap and flimsy. I wonder what the plastic type/formula is? Glock and AUG mags are VERY tough.

I really want a PS90 but don't want to handle it with kid gloves when reloading.

S.O.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The mags don't bother me - the one gun that DID have mags that bothered me was/is the USP 9mm - the fullsize version. The fullsize 40 and 9mm use polymer mags. The mags feel so cheap compared to polymer mags of other brands. And, I did have 2 rounds get stuck side by side inside an HK USP mag, back when I had a fullsize USP.

No, the USPc uses metal mags, which I like..

But, I digress... I think on avg, the mags hold up well enough. Nothing is perfect. And, I will admit that I wouldn't go throwing them down on the concrete.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmm

Looks like there maybe a market for someone to make some stamped aluminum mags for the P90, or maybe a stamped sheath you epoxy onto the magazine to add strength.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The mags don't bother me - the one gun that DID have mags that bothered me was/is the USP 9mm - the fullsize version. The fullsize 40 and 9mm use polymer mags. The mags feel so cheap compared to polymer mags of other brands. And, I did have 2 rounds get stuck side by side inside an HK USP mag, back when I had a fullsize USP.

No, the USPc uses metal mags, which I like..

But, I digress... I think on avg, the mags hold up well enough. Nothing is perfect. And, I will admit that I wouldn't go throwing them down on the concrete.
I shoot several HKs...one of which is the Custom Combat in USPSA competition. It's a .40SW that uses 16-round plastic mags. I see someone asking about dropping these mags. I drop my HK mags on every stage I run with it. They get stepped on by me and the RO. They get dropped on concrete at my indoor range when I practice. So far no problems.

I'd expect the same from these PS90 mags. If they break when dropped they need to be strengthened. My guess is that something on his gun is stressing that point on the mags.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, after 2 rounds got stuck side by side in that plastic USP mag - and I had to disassemble the mag and knock them out with a pencil (that has NEVER happened to me with ANY handgun mag before), I lost faith in that design of magazine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts