FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of those right handed but left eye dominant mutant subhumans. Most people recommend to me to learn to shoot left handed. But I don't... For two reasons... 1) my left hand is retarded, probably incapable of brushing my teeth southpaw. 2) most of my other rifles have scopes so I simply shut my left eye when shooting.

The unmagnified ring sight is new territory for me. I want to use it both eyes open. Strangely enough I can see the reticle w/ the gun on either shoulder w/ both eyes open. I haven't shot it yet so I don't know if I'm good to go doing it as a righty or if this is not going to work for me. Anyone else know if this sight will work for me shooting righty? Anyone else w/ the same affliction that can chime in?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
This may or may not be helpful but I suffer the same cross-dominant affliction as you. My solution has been to attempt correction using Toric contact lenses, making my right eye dominant again. The first round wasn't entirely successful, tomorrow will be a different day, different Doctor and hopefully a much better outcome. I suffer presbyopia and astigmatism in both eyes with my right being the biggest culprit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Use both eyes in shooting. Why would you kill your depth perception and focal agility while introducing a **** load of stress and fatigue onto your ocular muscles and eventually, your entire body and mental state?

I am cross-eye dominant, also.

Regards,

Blue.

Reactions: togjr9

·
Registered
961 Posts
I AM NOT ALONE! LOL. I actually found this out not too long ago, and it explained a lot. I have yet to embrace it as old habits die hard.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the same issue. Use both eyes with a red dot, it takes some getting used to but you will be better off in the long run. One thing seems to have helped me as I got older, my left eye sees better at distance than my right now, so my right focuses better and faster when I have both eyes open.
Plus you are better off with your depth perception as someone said.
Don't get me wrong, if I have to take that critical shot, I will be closing my left eye.;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
The unmagnified ring sight is new territory for me.
Do you mean a red dot sight? If so, I always shoot both eyes open with RDS' for all the reasons that blueorison stated.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm TOO DAMN OLD to change! After 40 years of using one eye and tens of thousands of rounds it's too ingrained in me.

Thats like the last time I shot qualification with my duty pistol, the instructor stated I'm "doing it wrong", I shoot Chapman modified Weaver stance. He stated all they teach now is Isosceles. BUT, he further stated that as many years as I've trained that way it's too late in life to change because when the "bullets start flying" I'm going to revert to what I've done for years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I too am left eye dominant and never really shot with both eyes open. However, about a year and a half ago I decided it was time to learn. If i throw a weapon to my right shoulder or a pistol held in my right hand with both eyes open I tend to get a bit of double image with my left being the image that is lined up. However, I have "taught" myself this simple step...if I close my left eye for just a wink and allow my right eye to line things up, I am completely good to go. Of course I also practiced shooting left handed and while I am not as good as a lefty I certainly can make things happen shooting left. I like the ability it gives me and the flexibility.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I'm the same, and it's just easier to shoot it left handed.
I'm the same also, eventually I just learned to cope.... may also explain why I consistantly shoot " Low & Left " with my pistola's.... ( scratch that , I'm just a poor shot ! LOL )

In reality my left eye is stronger ( closer to 20/20 ).
I also have an astigmatism in my right eye, I get a double dot thru the Aimpoints and other similar RD's....
But what is worse is a multi dot EO....
I additionally shoot with a Weaver/Isooceles retarded modified stance.... It works for me, but only when I practice.
At the end of the day, practice helps me a whole lot. When I don't practice ... I end up making a fool ouit of myself at the club !
However... that's where the FN collection I have amased comes into play ! I simple re-direct everyones attention from my poor shooting and we talk about " cool " FN guns !

Sorry, just trying to insert some humor ! ( It's Friday )

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the opposite issue. I am left-handed and right eye dominant. I switched to carrying and shooting right-handed in 1969. I can shoot a gun with either hand with both eyes open or with my left eye closed. With a scope, I shoot right-handed.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm one of those right handed but left eye dominant mutant subhumans. Most people recommend to me to learn to shoot left handed. But I don't... For two reasons... 1) my left hand is retarded, probably incapable of brushing my teeth southpaw. 2) most of my other rifles have scopes so I simply shut my left eye when shooting.

The unmagnified ring sight is new territory for me. I want to use it both eyes open. Strangely enough I can see the reticle w/ the gun on either shoulder w/ both eyes open. I haven't shot it yet so I don't know if I'm good to go doing it as a righty or if this is not going to work for me. Anyone else know if this sight will work for me shooting righty? Anyone else w/ the same affliction that can chime in?
Does no one else who is RH/Left Eye dominant shoot with their Right hand and left eye. I read some articles about titling my head and looking down the sights with my left eye. It's helped quite a bit and I've become a much better shot. My left eye is extremely dominant....to the point of my right eye being blurry when I try to look at my computer monitor.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I'm the same way, left eye dominate and right hand shooter.

Why is strange that you can shoot with both eyes open on a red dot sight? That's one of the primary advantages of 1x sights.

·
Registered
90 Posts
At a tactical match I went to, one of the guys had this rifle with a really weird sight. You could not see through it, it just had a glowing red dot (fiber optic maybe?) But what was neat about it was you are looking at the dot with your right eye, and your mind played tricks on you thinking you could see it with your left eye. Sounds weird but it worked.

·
Registered
604 Posts
At a tactical match I went to, one of the guys had this rifle with a really weird sight. You could not see through it, it just had a glowing red dot (fiber optic maybe?) But what was neat about it was you are looking at the dot with your right eye, and your mind played tricks on you thinking you could see it with your left eye. Sounds weird but it worked.
Sounds like a Weaver Quick Point, which was an early version of a red dot sight. Close the objective lens cover on an Aimpoint. You can do the same thing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I too suffer from this apparent variation of retardation! I never knew I was left-eye dominant til last year when a friend did some test/trick that showed me it. My vision is great, 20/10 left 20/15 right, but I can't help but wonder how I would have qual'ed back in the Corps had I known this in time to do something with it (I still shot expert, but only barely). I suffer from the same left-handed incapacity as the OP, about the only thing my left hand is good for is holding the steering wheel or using the left 1/3rd of the keyboard.

I think I'll give aquaticpig's method a try.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sounds like a Weaver Quick Point, which was an early version of a red dot sight. Close the objective lens cover on an Aimpoint. You can do the same thing.
The Weaver Qwik Point was a cheap knock off the the English manufactured Singlepoint sight. One of the reasons the Singlepoint didn't take off was the cost. Back in the day it around $400.00 if IIRC.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts