FN Herstal Firearms banner

D@$mit FN !!!!

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Canyon Man 
#1 ·
You took soooo long to release a FNS9 Compact I finally broke down and bought a Glock 26 Gen 4, and guess what, I like it. Its a chunky little beastie but the Gen 4 grip and size to capacity ratio filled a void in my lineup that I really wanted to fill bad. That being said, if FN gets their act together and released an FNS9 Compact Im sure i could be persuaded to part ways with the G26. As I compared my FNS9 and G26 side by side I couldnt help but imagine how much better an FNS9C would feel and conceal than the G26. with a 10-12 rd magazine it would be superb.

I ran my FNS9 through a Defensive Pistol class this past Saturday and it ran like a champ. 300 Rounds, Malfunction drills, Mozambique, Zipper, one handed drills, etc with no problems other than a couple of light reloads not causing the slide to lock open. The FNS was dead on accurate and made the XDM and 1911 boys give me dirty looks. Prior to the class during a 250 rd break in it functioned flawlessly with 124gr full powered loads, 115gr loads, and Hornady Critical Duty.

So Dammit, I REALLY want an FNS9C but I had to go to the dark side to fill the void for now. (Blue Label Pricing on the G26 made the pill easier to swallow too) :)

Rant over...

See less See more
#8 ·
I checked out the Glock 26 Gen 4, Shield 9mm, XD-S 3.3” 9mm and found the new (2013) Taurus Millennium PT111G2SS to be a better pistol at the lowest price (special 2013 pricing). The great trigger w/short reset & clean break, adjustable sights, double strike, comfortable ergonomics, aggressive textured grip, TSS, LCI, MS, TS, matte stainless steel finish, 12+1 round capacity, 3.2” barrel, picatinny rail and free NRA membership with a life time warranty (gun not first owner) helped close the deal. I liked the Glock 26 Gen 4 (10+1) and XD-S (7+1, factory recall) but found the pistols to be uncomfortable and too small. The Shield and the Millennium were compared side by side in a store and the trigger on the Shield was gritty and lower capacity (7&8 round). I looked at the Kahr CW9 but the capacity was low (7+1), one magazine and some people had FTF issues with some magazines or pistols not to mention the price difference. I did like the features of the Kahr P9 (3.565", polygonal rifling) but with a huge difference in price and a capacity of only 7+1 the features and price point of the Millennium G2 matte stainless steel sold me; now my wife and I are members of the NRA courtesy of Taurus and Carry On. If FNH USA designs and manufactures a compact pistol I will most likely purchase it as I have the “FNH Bug” like many happy souls on the Fnforum.

#11 ·
Taurus produced its first revolver, the Model 38101SO, in 1941. Beginning in 1968, it exported revolvers to the U.S. market through a series of importers. In 1971, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing. In 1977, Taurus was purchased from Bangor Punta by its current owners, and its ties to Smith & Wesson were severed. In 1980, after Italian arms manufacturer Beretta had completed its contracts to produce firearms for Brazil's military, Taurus purchased Beretta's Sao Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs.

In order to more effectively tap the U.S. market, the company created a subsidiary, Taurus International Manufacturing Incorporated, also known as Taurus USA, in 1984. In 1997 Forjas Taurus purchased the rights & equipment to manufacture Rossi brand revolvers. One Taurus claim to fame is the Lifetime Warranty included with every weapon, the owner merely has to return the firearm to the factory or repair center, and any defect will be corrected at no charge. However, Taurus USA will not apply this warranty to Taurus firearms imported by other importers prior to 1984, so owners of older Taurus models should contact the company before shipping their guns in for repairs. Even though guns imported into the US before 1984 were manufactured by Taurus, the company will not honor the warranty on them.

Until sometime in the 1980s, Taurus (early US-imported guns were branded "Taurus Brazil") did not enjoy a favorable reputation among US gun owners. Many saw them as cheap, unreliable, unsafe, and unlikely to last very long. Whether the poor reputation was deserved or was merely the result of American chauvinism in the 60s and 70s is unknown. However, the few Taurus guns actually seen in those days were, indeed, of poor quality, qualifying for the derogatory label "Saturday Night Special". The fact that the company changed the branding on the guns to just "Taurus", along with using a different font and overall markings design, does suggest that they were tying to distance the newer products from the reputation of the earlier ones

Whether the result of marketing strategies such as changing the markings, and the production of novel guns such as the .410/.45 Judge, or of better manufacturing and quality control procedures, Taurus has managed to distance itself from the "Saturday Night Special" reputation, and their guns are now generally seen as well-made alternatives to more costly brands. Currently, their "Millennium" model, based on their "PT" line, enjoys a particularly good reputation among US gun owners.

#12 ·
I think Taurus had some quality control issues, but probably makes a fine gun. I had purchased a raging bull 44 mag, and a Taurus judge. Both of them had those screw safeties on the hammer. The screws would vibrate to the safety mode while firing, and would have to have the tool to turn it to the unlock position to fire it again. Both did it, the raging bull after about 30 rounds, the judge was like 80 rounds. Lock tight would have fixed it, but I sold them and bought Rugers. I had a Smith and Wesson m&p .40 competition model, and on hollow points, even the most roundest of ones, the bullet would get caught on the feed ramp on mag changes occasionally. Never did it under fire, but I left the M&P and went to glock 35. I was really disappointed with the m&p, all the reviews were so stellar on it. I had read a couple other people complain about it online also, but very little talk on it. So I have the fns .40 long slide now and love it, seldom shoot the gock... the FNS has been 100 percent reliable and comfortable in hand. I want one with a safety on it when they come out, in 9mm too. I personally like the option of a safety, to each his own on that. I need a smaller pistol, and am afraid to try the Shield because of my experience with the hollow points on the .40. I'm considering the single stack line of pistols, but glock 19 on my possibilities too. It's a little shorter grip handle than the FNS which makes the difference on concealed carry. I feel safe with glock, and I'm tired of trial runs on pistols. If FN is listening, I'm screaming for a compact FNS too !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.