FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, if it was just the cost of the parts, I'd go ahead and short barrel my PS90. And, granted, $200 isn't much. But when the parts and the fee and all else involved is included - That $500-$600 total just ain't worth it - $100 per inch. Not with the gun being so small already...

But still... a part of me always hears the calling :shock:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Heres the bottom line. I can justify a 16+ M4 or Ak. They are made this way and even though most military models are sub 16 they are closer to 14.5 for most uses. The difference between 16 and 10.3 is huge. When HK brought in the SL8 and the USC people complained about the bastardized versions and rightfully so. The SL8 IMO still has a place as a 20 inch barrel. It has an insane bull barrel and while the styling is not as cool as a G36 its still its own weapon with different sytlings. I built mine into a sniper setup and I would never consider building it into a G36 now because I like the way it performs. The PS90 doesnt even have its own profile like an SL8 though. ITs the same weapon with a goofy long barrel sticking out of it.

The USC falls into the P90 category. If you own a USC then you NEED to SBR it IMO. Also the longer barrel actually makes sense for a .223 round. In a USC the longer barrel is probably wasted. The same goes for the PS90. Bite the bullet and just do it because until then you have a bastardized version of the weapon.

Its a completely different weapon at that point. The point of the P90 is the small profile. Smaller than any other FA armor piercing round subgun. The only subguns smaller have a barrel half the size. When you take that away you have nothing left but a funny or goofy looking design with a strange and un proven round.

At least give it its profile back. We can't do anything about the different rounds. But the gun was meant to proform in CQB and in its current state its not the same weapon. Having never shot the 16 inch I can't tell you first hand about accuracy but I can tell you that the people I have talked to see no difference in the 16 and 10.3 versions at 50 yards.

Honestly the 200 is nothing. Considering that it would have cost you some 20,000 to do then same thing back in the 30's in comparison. I'd say you are getting off pretty light ;) Just do it (while you still can) and get it over with. We all know that even if you decide not to do it now you will post the exact same question 6 months from now. Just do it ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Abiqua14 said:
I concur, $200 is no bid deal. Add another $200 for the additonal stamp for the suppressor and it's still worth it.
To those who think a $200 tax is a lot, just consider this:

The $200 transfer and making taxes were established in the GCA of 1934. It has not gone up in 65+ years. Imagine how expensive $200 was in 1934....

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since I posted that, I've sort of changed my mind. I don't plan to do the short barrel thing. The PS90 is already shorter than other SBRs.

I also do nopt have a ton of money to sink into weapons. The PS90 is the most expensive weapon I own, or probably will ever own. If I only had to pay for the parts, I MIGHT have done it by now. But with the parts and engraving fee plus the ATF fee, we're at the price of another handgun. That 6 inches off the barrel is not worth that much to me - not when the gun is already so short.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smiths typically charge $75-$85 for engraving around here. And, I'd bet that it's not easy to find a "local jeweler" to engrave on a weapon.

U also have to account for the act of changing the barrel itself. I don't have the tools needed, and would eb afraid I would screw it up. U are looing at $100 for CMMG to do the chage out for U, plus the shipping. Now, I think they will engrave it for the $100.

However, someone called CMMG, and they were told that once it is shortbarrelled, then it has to be sent to a local Class 3 dealer. That Class 3 dealer may charge U a few dollars for the trouble as well.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
+1 for vader! I think it is a matter of time before some government bean counter realizes this and increases the amount ($600.00 would be my guess on NFA/$100.00 on AOW)! ::FF::

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
AGG said:
+1 for vader! I think it is a matter of time before some government bean counter realizes this and increases the amount ($600.00 would be my guess on NFA/$100.00 on AOW)! ::FF::
This is a tax. Only Congress has the authority by law to modify taxes collected by the federal government.

As soon as some Senator/Congresswman/woman tries to increase this tax there will be hell to pay. And they realize this after the fiasco that the Clinton AWB had on the re-election process. Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (SP ?) has publicly stated that he lost his re-election due SOLELY to the AWB and the ruckus it caused.

When the AWB expired prior to the 2004 election, NOT ONE SENETOR or CONGRESSMAN put forth legislation to renew it (at least that made it to the floor). Kerry bitched that Bush should extend the AWB but it was Kerry's job to do it, not Bush's. Kerry did not do this as you know. Bush stated the he would sign the legislation if it came to his desk (he knew it would not).

Remember, Congress makes law, not the president. If the president made law, he surely would have outlawed congress by now.

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
ick said:
ShipWreck said:
Well, since I posted that, I've sort of changed my mind. I don't plan to do the short barrel thing. The PS90 is already shorter than other SBRs.

I also do nopt have a ton of money to sink into weapons. The PS90 is the most expensive weapon I own, or probably will ever own. If I only had to pay for the parts, I MIGHT have done it by now. But with the parts and engraving fee plus the ATF fee, we're at the price of another handgun. That 6 inches off the barrel is not worth that much to me - not when the gun is already so short.
$200 ATF Tax
+ 249.99 barrel
+ 85.00 Gemtech Bi-lock Flash Hider
+ 10.00 for local jewler to engrave

$549.99 for "soon to be banned by Hillary" fun

If not now, then when? Well let me tell you when.....NEVER. At least some time after 2008 anyhow.
Oh Oh!

You forgot the $200.00 tax to the Fed for the silencer, and the $600.00 for the silencer. Thats now $1349.99 which is more than the price of a PS90 currently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Remember, Congress makes law, not the president. If the president made law, he surely would have outlawed congress by now.
:-D :lol: :x :? :-D
god that was funny the first time i read it

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
THIS is why you spend the money to SBR.

You go from this:

To this:

Just finished a legal re-manufacture to change my PS90 to SBR.

When I first bought the PS90 I thought "man that barrel is HUGE and looks awful, but I want the weapon anyway."

Then I fired it and really grew to like the rifle. I really didn't "see" the long barrel any more. Just fun and enjoying ownership.

When OTHER people saw it they thought "Man that barrel looks HUGE and looks awful" but I didn't notice....'cause I grew "comfortable" with the odd look. Don't get me wrong, they were impressed with the weapon, but they were thinking the same thing I was when I first saw it, "That just doesn't look quite like a P90"

Now that I went SBR I am really enjoying it. Even if I never get a Gemtech G5 Suppressor it doesn't matter. That is one mean looking machine.

Some guys don't like the small light-laser, but it is much more practical than my Surefire laser and Surefire tactical light. That equipment adds too much weight to the weapon without any significant differential in benefit. Besides, I have that equipment on my M4, where it is more appropriately equipped.

A couple of follow up comments:
1. If the next year works out that Hillary or anti-gun Republican gets in office....you just BLEW YOUR CHANCE to have an SBR PS90 FOREVER...as close as you can get to a P90. It is now or NEVER.....not "ahh.....well......someday maybe...perhaps."

2. If you are going to own an exotic weapon, why in the heck would you only go to 90% of what is possible? I mean you are already in, why not go all the way and do it right. I am not much for half-assed ownership of anything, including rifles.

3. Granted, if I want to do this....there is no person I have to get a "Kitchen pass" from. I get out the checkbook and ante-up....so things might be a little simpler here than YOUR situation. To each his own. I am lucky to have the cash and the option to do so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The $200 is just something you just deal with in the NFA world. The hard pill to swallow is the $200 tax on the $300 .22 silencers. That being said I still sell 15-20 a month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts