FN Herstal Firearms banner

Daniel Defense SPR & Colt HBAR CQB - My First two builds

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Cameron 
#1 ·
I was looking to set up two rifles, one for mid to long range shooting that would not shoot a very high volume and one set up to closer range shooting with higher volume.
So I chose a stainless match barrel from Daniel Defense in .223 Wylde complete upper for the first, and a Colt HBAR chrome lined barrel in 5.56NATO for the second.

I just finished them getting the EOTech and the accessories yesterday. I think they turned out very well, let me know what you guys think. I'm all grins... :D

Daniel Defense SPR Complete Mid Length Upper
16" Lothar Walther 1in7 twist Stainless barrel .223 Wylde
Daniel Defense hand matched bolt
12.0 Daniel Defense Lite Rail
Harris QD Bipod
IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26 CQB Illuminated Reticule optic with M855 Bullet Drop Compensator
Larue Tactical SPR 1.5 QD Optic Mount
Troy Front & Rear BUIS
Lewis Machine & Tool Lower with 2 Stage Match Trigger Group
Lewis Machine & Tool SOPMOD stock
Ergo Grip
Vicker's Combat Applications Sling

Colt Defense CQB
16" Colt AR-15A3 1in9 twist HBAR Chrome Lined barrel 5.56NATO
Lewis Machine & Tool Bolt Carrier Group
12.0 Daniel Defense Lite Rail
Tango Down Vertical Fore Grip
EOTech 522
Troy Rear & PRI Front BUIS
Lewis Machine & Tool Lower with 2 Stage Match Trigger Group
Magpul M93B stock
Ergo Grip

Cameron

See less See more
#2 ·
I owned an M4 and tried and tried to configure it for CQB. Laser, verticle grip, etc. It is OK, but for maximum functionality....it was a "rifle that wanted to be a CQB" to me.

Hence the PS90 I purchased. No question, superior CQB to the M4. 50 round mag, super short bull-pup design, lightweight, very funcitonal and handy light/laser....just a far superior weapon to my M4 in a CQB application it seems to me.

Now granted, your setup there is SWEEEEEET. I wouldn't turn it down that is for sure.

Also, I like your photos on the concrete background. That highlights the weapons well...I may have to try that with my camera.

#3 ·
Nice rifles.

Can I ask if you really use the magpul rubber things on the bottom of your magazines? My mags drop free when the mag release is pressed. Now I understand that they are for when it gets dusty/grimey, but wouldn't it take more time to try and grab that little loop or is the loop to help get the magazine out of a vest? I have never really seen a need for them, but then again, I've never asked what exactly they are for.

Here's my new build...

Bushy 16" fluted upper
Magpul Pmag
Magpul Grip
Magpul Collapsible stock

Zhur

P.S. In case someone mentions it, the safety is off, but the bolt is open over an empty mag.

#6 ·
I owned an M4 and tried and tried to configure it for CQB. Laser, verticle grip, etc. It is OK, but for maximum functionality....it was a "rifle that wanted to be a CQB" to me.
I remain unconvinced on the PS90, I have tried one (and an FS2000) and I just couldn't do it.

Here is my other CQB Jungle Gun...
Bushmaster M4 type 14.5" bbl 5.56NATO
Daniel Defense Omega rail
TD VFG
Pentagon Light
EOTech 512
ARMS Rear BUIS
Ergo Grip
Magpul CTR stock
Obligatory St. James Cross

#7 ·
Can I ask if you really use the magpul rubber things on the bottom of your magazines? My mags drop free when the mag release is pressed. Now I understand that they are for when it gets dusty/grimey, but wouldn't it take more time to try and grab that little loop or is the loop to help get the magazine out of a vest? I have never really seen a need for them, but then again, I've never asked what exactly they are for.
The MAGPUL rubber thing is a "MAG PULL" and it excellent for pulling the mags from your pocket/pouch/mag bag at the range. Not really useful for pulling the mag from the mag well of the rifle.

Cameron

#10 ·
Cameron, I want your stock................. 8)

Nice set up BTW. :D

#11 ·
These rifle builds are cool as hell!
Thanks for sharing!!! :?

#12 ·
I spent several hours yesterday at the range and shot three commercial loads. Federal Match 77gr SMK, Black Hills blue box 52gr Match HP, Black Hills blue box 50gr V-Max.

Here are a couple of groups, the squares are an inch:

5 shot group at 100 yards using Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr SMK. I'm sure I was the cause of the flier, I have 5 or 6 groups of 4 clustered together and the 1 out if 5 flier... I was only using a 4 power scope

This is a 10 shot group at 100 yards using Black Hills blue box 50gr V-Max

Obviously I am very pleased with the results. Here she is after the afternoon workout...

Cameron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.