FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So gents,

Ive been going back and forth on if I should buy a serious revolver or not. I had a 6.5in ported heavy 357mag that I didnt enjoy because it didnt have any "sense of occasion" and was less accurate than any of my glocks kimbers etc at 100yards and ammo was expensive. So that gun got sold and Im thinking about getting something thats really special and unique like the S&W 329pd It is a scandium frame and titanium cylinder thats 25oz or about the weight of my FNS( unloaded! It is a 4in barrel but its NOT ported so id imagine the recoil to be pretty intense even tho im not recoil sensitive but it should have "sense of occasion" every time I shoot or carry it. Im not afraid about the recoil as I want it to have some asskicking factor

I think its an asinine amount of money for something with almost no moving parts and is really inexpensive to manufacture compared to my kimbers. I can get a new one in my hands for $988 after transfer shipping etc and looks liek I can resell it used for $850 and have no problem getting rid of it if I dont like it. I just bought a few new guns and I absolute do NOT NEED it, its completely impracticable since my 45acp atomic +p 185's going 1225fps will do the trick on a person or bear so not like I need it for any other factor than its cool and I dont have anything like it. I dont want to have kids but I think it has that kind of thing going for it as a super nice piece to pass on to next gen, just like my kimbers.

Heres a review and pics of gun in question....
Smith & Wesson’s 329PD .44 Magnum Lightweight Revolver

BTW I already have the 1st & 3rd ammo he is testing on his chart so those will be my first shots thru the gun.

So what are everyone thoughts?

·
Registered
857 Posts
The S&W. 329 is a revolver that will be carried more than it will ever be shot. Reports from the gun scibes who have reviewed the wheelgun, say"shooting it is like smacking a cinder block". Good luck to you in finding a powerfull pistol that suits your needs.
If I was given one, it would get a main diet of .44 specials ; & only once in a while .....a dessert of factory .44 mag.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have a 686 and and I love S&W revolvers. The fit and finish and the triggers are fantastic....

You stated I absolutely dont need it and your already thinking you might get rid of it, so I wouldnt buy it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you reload and want a full power gun do not buy a 329. Full blown reloads will destroy it, and probably your hand too. If Smiths are your thing get a nice 29 or 629 and have fun. If you're into hot loads get a Ruger, Wesson, Colt or Freedom Arms.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If it's for pleasure and the occasional range trip with factory loads then get a nice S&W 629, if it's for frequent shooting, hot loads and taking down critters then get a Ruger Redhawk.

The S&W is a slicker gun that is a joy to shoot but the Ruger is just tougher and longer lasting with regular frequent use.

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
The S&W is a slicker gun that is a joy to shoot but the Ruger is just tougher and longer lasting with regular frequent use.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a S&W 29, and it is truly sleek, fun and fine to shoot. But my two Ruger.44 Magnums, a Redhawk and a Super Blackhawk, are built to last. Two tanks. I also have a Ruger Alaskan in .454. It is a pure, solid beast.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have a Redhawk in .454 casull with a 7" barrel great gun with 360 gr penetrators however after shooting .45 colt in it then any 454 the empties wont eject easy since the shorter 45 cases do leave powder burn in cylinder thus making it harder to eject the 454 shells, common known prob with these!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have a Redhawk in .454 casull with a 7" barrel great gun with 360 gr penetrators however after shooting .45 colt in it then any 454 the empties wont eject easy since the shorter 45 cases do leave powder burn in cylinder thus making it harder to eject the 454 shells, common known prob with these!
That's the case with 38spl/357mag, 44spl/44mag/445sm. That's the way it's always been, any revolver shooter knows when shooting the shorter cartridge you should clean the chamber thoroughly before shooting longer ones.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the case with 38spl/357mag, 44spl/44mag/445sm. That's the way it's always been, any revolver shooter knows when shooting the shorter cartridge you should clean the chamber thoroughly before shooting longer ones.
never gave that much though. I dont think ill be switching ammos that often, I like to find a load that works and stock pile it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you can bear to shoot a bunch of .44 Mag through that 329, then you're more manly than 99% of the human males on Earth.
I dont really plan on shooting what I consider a "bunch" of mags thru it. I shoot well over 3k rds a month combined from my 9/40/45, this gun will be the one box a week or less "treat to shoot gun" kind of like my special occasion .25acp and other hard to find ammo guns. I also can't justify shooting a bunch of 44 spl thru it when that ammo cost the same as the mags do.

I keep going back and forth on it. If it was a 3in barrel it would be a done deal already, that 4iner is the equiv to a 5in on a semi and is pretty long for iwb carry. The only other option is the taurus 444 titanium in 2.25in and its 300$ less but I think taurus is a POS company from having 3 ****ty guns of theres and there scam of a warranty that cost you 5x more than the repairs do. Plus the double cylinder lock requires two hands to reload = bad design for combat and/or poorly made and weak gun that needs the double lock in the first place.

Keep going back and forth on it. which usually means I shouldnt but I also say I wish I did more often than I say I wish i didnt, ya know?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, I figured it was time to prove my manhood and quit shooting those wussy little +P+ .45's so I bought it!!! Should be in on monday when i go to pick up two other guns!

Ill post a video review and pics when I shoot it probably the following day. Have 290rds and 3 different loads to try.

On another note, im seriously considering getting into reloading so I can shoot .45super cheaper than 1$ a round. Also considering getting my one kimber chamber modified to 460 rowland.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
So, how many rounds did you get down the pipe before you decided it wasn't "fun" anymore??? ANY steel 44 magnum would have been a much more pleasant experience. Your 45 Super loads ought to scratch that itch for you once you start reloading them. I get 1350 fps out of my 4" 45ACP 625 Mountain Gun with 185gr JHP using Super brass. It's a little snappy but shoots great and is a good backup truck gun. Best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts