FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here's my dilemma. I have an old Stevens shotgun 311 that was my grandpas I have had it for many years as I inherited it upon his death. I have no real good use for the gun. I do however have some sentimental attachment to it. I have talked to several people about cutting the barrel down and making a short barrel shotgun out of it. After talking to some family and friends about it because I have mixed feelings as to whether I should do this or notI am still lost as to what to do. Some act as if it's almost sacrilegious to tamper or alter my grandpas gun. My grandfather was an avid gun collector and I'm not sure how he would feel about it. It is a very common gun so I thought about getting another one just like it to do this to. But I feel this would bring my grandpas gun back to life and give it a purpose for me. I even had one family member To deny the use of their bandsaw because he thought it was such a horrible idea. So what is you guys take on this should I chop the barrel or not chop the barrel. I really want to but cannot decide if it's the right thing to do or not. I feel that it is my gun my grandpa gave it to me and if I want to do this I should.but all the negative feedback had me second guessing myself.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Finding another stevens 311 in as good a shape as the ones I have is hard to do.maybe I will find a cheap one chop it and restore it. Just really love those guns.maybe I will do it with a 20 gauge been wanting to add one of those to my collection anyways or maybe even a16 gauge if I happen to stumble across one

· Registered
21,896 Posts
Don't do it.

Reactions: LESTER

· Registered
4,039 Posts
Collecting is no fun.....why collect and look at it when you can SBR and shoot and enjoy.....wouldn't your grandpa want you to enjoy it?
Idk man maybe it's the sports stuff I have collected that hangs on walls and collects dust in drawers part of me that says just keep it for sentimental value. I could never picture myself breaking the frame on my Walter Payton autographed jersey and sport it at the game you know what I'm saying?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.