FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked out a RRA midlength quadrail AR - Still debating... I love the look of an AR, and was planning to get one soon. But when I hold it, it just doesn't feel as comfortable as the PS90.

Might be because the PS90 is my first rifle. But, it isn't as comfortable to hold other rifles as it is to hold the PS90.

I do have a friend locally who has an AR - if we can ever work out our scheduled... I will definetly wait to try his before I make my final decision. He doesn't have a quad rail on his, but it will still be close enough for me to decide...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ship, don't have an AR. :(
Although my next project is to buy a Carbon 15 Bushmaster 9mm carbine. Then save a few months and SBR it. Want something cheaper to shoot. However I just depleted funds on the SKS M so that has been put off. What brand are you looking at? AR's can sometimes be found cheap if you buy used, and here the Olympic AR sells for just under 500. Not the best but might be a place to start. Rock Rivers runs just a bit more and I hear quality is much better. Anyway don't think...BUY! You could be shooting right now! :D

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I will wait until I get a chance to shoot my friends before I do anything.

Otherwise, I'll just buy more mags and ammo for my PS90 :p

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I looked at the AR's again today - I think if I get one and put a forward grip on the quad rail - but put it all the way towards me as it can go _ I will like that. Not as much as the PS90, but I will like it.

So, I'll probably be buying one as soon as I can save the rest....

·
Registered
171 Posts
My first centerfire rifle was a AR-15 SP1 as you guys know it's almost like a Vietnam M16A1 style rifle without forward assist and I'm very used to it.

It's very easy to operate when you get used to it and mag changes are very easy compared to other rifle designs because the release button is within easy reach of the trigger finger while the support hand unloads and loads the mags.

I like to shoot my Steyr AUG A1 more than my ARs but mag changes are a little slower with the AUG.

My RRA is marked as 9mm but they use the same upper and lower receivers with their 5.56mm models, it's the tightest receiver fit compared to my two Colts and LMT ARs.

You don't have to have your rifle all decked out from the beginning, I usually keep adding or changing components until I'm happy with my setup, but it's never done.

When another better part becomes available I'll probably change it again. :D

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, if I get one, I want the quadrail right away. And, I will do the forward grip. I like having my left hand closer to me - and that's not possible with the traditional handgrip on the AR. I like the layout of the PS90 so much, and I'd rather have my off hand closer to me than all the way out.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is an academy here in town. They are all out of AR's, though. And, I think they only carry bushmaster and olympic arms.

I've never seen a flattop setup like I want there, though. Don't they generally only carry ones w/ the carry handle?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did pick up a Bushmaster a3 at my local academy last year, but the guy said it was the only one he had ever seen just usualy a2 setups.

Sorry, I did not notice that you were looking for a RRA. These are nice as they come with larger fore grip, hogue pistol grip their match trigger and crome lined barrel (I think optional).

As far as the A3 flat top they also offer a version for eotch and other makers with backup iron sites. But you probably know this as I am sure you researched it.

If you are looking to get one give the following guys a call they are local Texas dealer, go to lots of gun shows in Austin, Houston and SanAntonio. I purchase many guns from them and they will do a layaway. I think last time I saw an a3 with crome barrel was going for around $900. Good Guys never had a problem with them

http://www.ajcsportshop.com/

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost bought my PS90 from them, but every time I called, they were out of stock.

I plan to check the gun shows. The chrome lined version of what I want with the quadrail is not too uncommon. I could save a few dollars by buying from a show. I think I may want a stainless barrel, however, and for that, I may have to wait and order.

We'll see. I skipped the last Reliant gunshow in Houston, but plan to make the next one. I'll see then....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts