FN Herstal Firearms banner

What round do you prefer?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone
What is the best all around ammo to use for stopping power? Who is selling performance ammo for the 5.7x28 round?

Bryan

8)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Being that "stopping power" and "Foot Pounds" are basically nothing more than marketing terms, I'll say this... add "Good shot placement, multiple times" to your poll, it should get the most votes.

It really doesn't matter what bullet you use if you can't put them where they need to go. Often times, I see people worried about if a bullet is going to penetrate, or how much damage it'll do, but at the same time, that same person can't even deploy their pistol in a safe and timely manner fast enough to defend themselves from an attacker at 30 yards let alone 30 feet. The best rounds in the world do you no good if you can't deploy your pistol.

For the sake of answering your poll, I'd go with the heavier of the two rounds, so the 197.

Zhur

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FN4LA said:
Everyone
What is the best all around ammo to use for stopping power? Who is selling performance ammo for the 5.7x28 round?

Bryan

8)
Thanks for the input. I am going to take the 5/7 and the PS90 out to shoot soon and see how I do. I am pretty good with 5.56 out of a M4 but never shot the 5.7x28 yet and hoping the gun is as accurate as I have read.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pinkpistolpacker said:
non of the above.
What would you recommend?

:grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Templar said:
Speer 124 gr. +P Gold Dot or Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot.
Templar
I am thinking of buying just one full auto and think I might go with a good old ak. What do you recommend as far as quality and etc from various countries. There is a chinese underfolder I found that was sent to an ak guru to over haul but they want 15500 k for it. Little heftie. 8)

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
Here is the best ammo for the FiveseveN: Whatever YOU are most comfortable shooting. 8)

1 - Load your own - You will get the best accuracy this way by adjusting the load to your particular needs. Options on personal loads give you much more of a selection then just the SS195LF or SS197SR. I carry a load that packs more energy than the SS190. However, I have to agree - shot placement is critical. You can have the ultimate round but if you can't hit what you are aiming at, the 'ultimate round' is pretty useless.

2 - SS190 - Also known as the 'Duty Round'. Restricted sales to the Military and Law Enforcement Agencies only. You can't get it off the shelf. You may also be breaking the law in your state if you posess it as some states consider it an 'AP' round. An 'AP' round in a handgun will violate federal law also. It's NOT illegal to own AP ammo on the Federal level, just don't load it in the FiveseveN. Pretty much every rifle round is AP to some extent.

3 - After market stuff. I have heard of BACA, Elite, Elite West ??. I have not fired any of these. The Elite S4 is talked about very highly.

4 - SS198LF is the Law Enforcement Round. It is an SS195LF with .2 grains more of powder for a higher muzzle velocity. Available to military and LEO. Just an ID and signature. It is available on Gunbroker. It's OK to carry it in your FiveseveN but expect to pay a premium price if you have to buy it off an auction site.

5 - SS197SR is a good round. Fiocci used to make SS197SR but the contract with FNH has passed on to some other manufacturer. It is made here in the USA with Hornady V-Max projectiles. Produce generally for sporting purposes.

6 - SS195LF, which is SS192 with a lead free primer, for close quarters. Made in Belgium and imported into the USA.

Given the choice of only 5 or 6, neither. I would carry a different firearm.

It's really personal preference. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
my pic

after all of the available info that has been posted already,,, i think that my round of choice would be the EA Penetrator, 55 grain FMJ with a advertised speed faster than SS197 ( i can't remember the exact spec, forgive me) all said and done it seems like this round should pack enough punch and retain excellent accuracy. i have some on the way for field testing and will report back afterwords.\
m

·
Registered
66 Posts
SgtStrykerUSMC43 said:
SS197 :?

TRIPLE TAP
Amen... The best definsive round is the three handloads I've worked up, I load them in the magazine in an alternating order and practice the TRIPLE TAP recomended by SgtStryker.

I was at the range a couple weeks back practicing at varying distances up to 50 yards. Guy next to me is watching pretty intently and when I pull the target back in he comments on the nice placement from such a short little rifle firing so fast. I tell him to keep watching, hang a new target, run it out to 50 yards and proceeded to fire off 10 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger, put the gun down, pick it up and repeat 5 times emptying the magazine. Target comes back in with the same result, every shot on the target inside 12".

Damn I love my PS90, my EOTech and my handloads 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
40 grain Vmax (same as the SS 197) over 7.8 grains Vitahvouri 3N38 and a Wolf small magnum rifle primer. Good for 2025fps and 364 ft lbs.

NOTE!!! This is a MAX CHARGE in MY FiveseveN, work up to this CAREFULLY! Also, I would definately advise that you do not use this as a standard plinking load. For that I use 6.5 grains 3N38 under the 40 grain Vmax.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Defense Round desired for 57

Well, I probably won't get good ratings on this but why do you need a different round than what is made for the 57?

I mean FN makes the SS195 for defense that works much like the true AR .223 bullet used back in the Nam war, made to tumble and cause massive wound damage. That round tore up a lot of enemy for us.

The SS197 fragments so that it causes good wound area dispersion. It also has good penetration and excellent accuracy. (I put 20 rounds though the head of a Zombie hostage style target at 25 yrds. Even one through the eye!)

Both create a very large hydrostatic wound cavity and couple that with the velocity of the round that could possibly break bones even just from passing by the bone makes either round a good defense round, IMO. Now all the data I have remarked on was found on the net and mostly from this forum so just look at the data. The data also shows that it will not over penetrate the target hit, which is a win-win for any round.

With the low recoil and excellent accuracy of each of the FN factory rounds, you can easily make the issue mute by doing the old two and one system (2 chest and 1 head shot, if still coming).

I believe, also after firing this round and seeing the casing deformed to such a degree, that anyone reloading a fired casing with a new round weight or powder charge size, that they might be asking for trouble. FN has worked long and hard to provide a very high tech handgun and carbine with years put into it. :-(

Legally, it has always been shown that using factory made ammo for self defense is able to be used in your defense during a shoot incident. That same thing cannot be said for the hand loaded ammo. In numerous cases, the hand loads have been said to be loaded for the soul purpose of killing the individual by the prosecution. So factory loaded, recommended bullet weights and types and powder charges will always be better in court for you also. :D

Of course these are only my opinions. :-x

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
197 :?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts