FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a contest for the members who want to try - Come up with a new logo for us! Everyone knows that we changed from the PS90 Forum to the FN Forum recently. Now, we want a cool logo!

Sorry - I wish we could offer tons of prizes for ya - But as you know, gun forums don't generate tons of profit to allow for early retirement :x . So, all we can offer to the winner is one free year of supporting membership. And, possibly a T-Shirt with the logo on it for free.

Let me explain a few things, and near the end of this post, I have the necessary background files that are needed to design the logo.

This was the old logo we had as the PS90 forum:

Therm had designed it, and it looked pretty cool. This logo is 349x58 (349 pixels wide by 58 pixels high). This is the maximum size that any logo you design can be. So, you need to stay within that size:

Here is a rather crappy attempt I did to come up with an FN Forum logo - trying to use the same stuff that was in the old one. Notice, that it is the same size (349x58):

Now, here is the background gif that you need to make a logo. In Photoshop, you can use the resize option to stretch the width of this image to 349 pixels wide (leaving the height alone at 58 pixels). The logo you design goes on TOP of this image, in order to have the background of the logo match our web page:

Now, this is our latest Banner. Therm just designed it. I think it looks pretty good, but Therm apparently wasn't happy with it - Hence, this contest:

One suggestion might be to try and get the FN logo in white (could be possible thru Photoshop) instead of blue.

Finally, some of you may have remembered some green text below the old logo. We used to have this below the PS90 Forum logo:

That slogan image is 349 pixels wide by 30 pixels high. This is the MAXIMUM dimensional size that can be used for the slogan.

Once again, here was my attempt to change it to fit our change to the FN Forum:

This could be kept, I suppose, unless you have a better idea. Once again - The font and/or the color could be changed, if you have a better idea.

Finally, here is the background gif that you need to make the slogan image. In Photoshop, you can use the resize option to stretch the width of this image to 349 pixels wide (leaving the height alone at 30 pixels). The slogan you design goes on TOP of this image, in order to have the background of the slogan match our web page:

So, in summary - be aware that if you design a slogan and a logo, they have to be 2 DIFFERENT images. You cannot increase the height and put it all in 1. The reason is that the area up by the logo is a graduated color that shifts from light to dark. And, for placement reasons, it needs to be 2 different images.

Ok, I hope I explained this well enough for anyone interested to understand. If you have any questions, please let me know.. When you are done, please post your designs on this thread. The contest closes on June 30th, 2007. After that, the winner will be decided.

There may be a vote to pick the final 3, and then Therm and I choose the best one. Or, we may allow the vote to decide who wins. It all depends on how many entries we get, and what he logos look like. So, we'll have to see how things go.

Obviously, if you submit an entry, you are donating all rights to the logo to the FN Forum.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Promoted Pawn said:
Here is my attempt. If anyone wants the pieces of this, or wants to change it around, I can send you the psd file.

Unfortunately, the image won't come up - can't wait to see what ya did!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must be an issue with the hosting company - Never mind - I got it and rehosted it.... Not bad :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here's something I tossed together......

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some o fthose look pretty good.

But, in order to be used as a banner on the site, we need them on that background sample I provided.

As a possibly t-shirt use, there is some leeway, however.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I can always play with the font & color, these are just quickies I did while I was bored watching South Park.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok, got bored again........

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not bad - but U are using a solid gray background - the one we need has to have the gradient to fit - I have it listed above. The height is correct - U just have to stretch the width to whatever width you want.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, still bored. Nothing on TV and I've already done about 4 hours on Rainbow 6...... Guess I could always try to get some sleep, only been up for 32 hours or so.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks. I really don't have any expertise with photoshop or anything, I just play around with it. I have a few filters installed that do the nifty stuff....

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I like that last best qbit. By the way... how long is a cubit?

TA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks.

A cubit is 45.72 centimeters....... but I'm using qbit from quantum physics - a qbit is either a 1, a 0, or a 1 & 0 at the same time. It's also spelled qubit.....

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Ah... is that something like Schrodingers Cat? You never know for certain what state matter is in (0 or1) because observing it changes it? Or something like that I think... As you can tell I know "0" about quantum physics. BUT! I did stay at a Holiday in last night and I do remember quarks... wait... maybe that was a guy on Star Trek. :D

TA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Schrodinger's cat is a example of superposition -- I guess it's basically saying that the cat is dead and alive at the same time at the quantum level until you make an actual observation. Quantum physics is fun. I may not get it all, but what I do understand is really cool. A good primer for quantum physics is a three part show on Nova called "The Elegant Universe". It covers a lot of the basics and touches on string/M theory. It's kind of old, 2003 I think, but still good. I just read about the stuff because it's fun and interesting, I'm not in school or anyhting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.