FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how? I'm completely anal about cleaning my guns completely if I can, that was my favorite part about the Glock I had. I'm not worried about the hammer assembly as plenty of oil and canned air makes it clean enough, but I'd like to clean the extractor and firing pin channels and such. So far I see no way to do it. You could have dropped parts of my Glock into a person during surgery, sewed them up, and there would have been no risk of infection. I'd like my FN to be the same. If anyone knows how, or knows a site, please let me know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have been trying to figure this out as well. I have taken the hammer and trigger assemblies out out of the frame but have not figured out how to take the slide apart. The only thing that makes me curious is when you take the rear sight off, there is a spring loaded detent of some some sort in there. I am going to be installing night sights on my Browning Pro 40 soon here. I'll try and see if that detent holds the key to disassembly. I love the FNP's but I sure as hell hope you do not have to take off the rear sight just to service the slide. :shock:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't see any way the firing Pin Safety would be holding it in.

http://www.freespaces.com/laliqueinformation/Dump/pro940parts.pdf

Pushing the firing pin safety up from the bottom, interior surface of the slide seems to free up the firing pin from the firing pin safety (Part 17 on the Browning Pro9 Schematic.)

I wonder if everybody's just inserting what ever their pushing the firing pin in with, to far into the firing pin channel and are thus not able to push the hammer plate down, because the tool they are using to push the firing pin in, is actually pushing down on the inside of the firing pin channel, instead of exerting force to move the hammer plate downward?

The Hammer plate appears somewhat thinner than the one found on many pistols of this class and if the tolerances are as tight as I think they are...Just a mm or two, to far into the firing channel, would prevent you from being able to slide the plate down.

I have not tried it yet, because I don't have a tool around that I don't think would mar the plate or the pin...But thats what it looks like to me.

also be advised that FN has long history of installing parts to STAY...If you don't believe me try getting the stock tube off of an FN Tactical Police Shotgun sometime. From the factory they can be pretty tight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess what I'll have to do is soak the inside of the slide in oil, and blow it out with air duster. That's actually the way I cleaned the fire control assembly, I put a bunch of oil in, and blew it all out until it was clean. I won't even attempt to try to take that thing apart, it looks like a nightmare to get back together.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The canned compressed air might be a viable solution if you dont have access to an air compressor. Best Buy carries it and most computer stores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts