FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The slide lock on my FNP-45 frequently malfunctions with a particular one of the magazines in place. The two other magazines are showing susceptibility to the same condition. The problem appears to be with the plastic magazine follower as described below.

The attached image file illustrates a malfunction condition which prevents the magazine spring tension from applying upward pressure on the slide lock to hold the chamber open when the last round is fired. The square portion on the left side of the plastic magazine follower does not push upward on the projection on the left fork of the slide lock when the last round chambers. Instead, the square portion of the follower moves past the projection on the slide lock as pictured. This allows the slide to close after the last shot is fired and jams the magazine in place. Removal of the magazine under this condition further deforms the square portion of the follower and damages the ability of the magazine follower to engage the projection on the left fork of the slide lock.

Sent an e-mail to FN Customer Service with this photo but have received no response. Called FN parts in Missouri and they sent me a new magazine follower without charge. (Normal price is $2 parts and $8 shipping.)

Hope my other mags hold up better.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
well hopefully that resolves your issue!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great discription jhaien! :?
Something to definately look at during the course of regular use.
I assume that the FNP 40 and FNP 9 use the same setup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the 9mm and 40 the same setup?

Can't say for sure if the 9mm and 40 have the same setup, but Missouri told me that the at least the follower for the 9 is the same as for the 45. Wonder if this has anything to do with the oft mentioned magazine rattle issues?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The .45 follower as shown in your picture looks much different than my .40. The spot where it makes contact with the slide release tang is right on the front corner of the magazine rather than the configuration shown in the photo. Haven't had any trouble with mine or signs of wear so far.

I wonder why the parts guys will give you a price for a follower but they won't sell a dang mag spring as a separate part. Not that I've had issues, but it would be nice to know if my mag springs wear out I wouldn't have to fork out 30-40 bucks for a new magazine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Are the 9mm and 40 the same setup?

Can't say for sure if the 9mm and 40 have the same setup, but Missouri told me that the at least the follower for the 9 is the same as for the 45. Wonder if this has anything to do with the oft mentioned magazine rattle issues?
There is no way the 9 and the 45 use the same follower. The mags are different widths...a 45 follower would never fit in a 9mm mag and a 9mm follower would wander or turn over in a 45 tube. Missouri must have been mistaken.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slide Lock Malfunction Remedied

Am happy to report that the slide lock malfunction reported above has been remedied after about 500 rounds. The offending magazine, even with the slightly damaged follower, works fine. :D

My advice is as follows to those with new FNP-45s showing the same problem:

1. Before removing a stuck magazine, lock back the slide and gently push the follower back under the slide lock tang to prevent damage to the follower when the magazine is removed.

2. Lubricate the inside of the magazine lightly with silicone lubricant.

3. Have faith in your gun, as this appears to be break-in related.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Now its like a virgin on her wedding night :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts