FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I just ordered a PS90 yesterday, I am thinking at some point I'll want a Five Seven simly for the ease of ammo consolidation.

I'm going to start reloading for this one (I currently only reload 10mm) and since I'll be doing that, I was thinking the pistol would be nice to have as well.

Do many of you have both?

As I begin to price 5.7x28 for reloading I am finding that it could potentially be one of the lowest cost rounds around to reload after the brass is paid for. It appears as well that brass will last practically forever so I may move to this round in a big way for financial purposes.

Just curious.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
To my knowledge, U can only reload the brass 2 or 3 times - then it will not work in the PS90. The coating on the casing wears off.

From what I have been told, however, that will not affect its use in the 5-7 pistol, however.

I've gone back and forth on ownership of the pistol. I think if it cost a little less, I'd probably have bought one already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have been told, however, that will not affect its use in the 5-7 pistol, however.
Interesting, I have been reading on mainly pistol reloaders web sites so that's the first I have heard of limited brass life.

Thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I thought about it, but i can't get over the looks and the grip IMO is terrible

yes i know it's like 20 rounds but i would rather have a dozen .40

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have both and like both.

I like the FiveSeven,even the grip. I put on the +10 mag extension on a couple of magazines.

I plan on new optics on the PS90. Not sure what yet. And a sling.

Go for both they make a nice couple...
:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I actually approached this from the other direction. Purchased the FiveseveN first and after month or so the PS90 was sitting there making a good case for having a pistol AND a rifle that shoot the same round. Crazy talking firearms, damn them!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Carbine-Pistol combo's...

You have to read this in half humor mode…

I've wanted a practical combo since I can't remember when... a lever action and a 6 shooter were the last I remember. What? A 44.40? (grin)

Recently when "Go-Bags" got popular I once again started looking for a short rifle/good pistol in the same cartridge combo set to take with my get out of Dodge kits.

There were a couple of 9mm attempts that used the same mags… but I didn’t bite on those. Too weak.

Then I saw the 357sig cartridge and thought “AH-HA!” Some one will do a great rifle/pistol combo with this! But I haven’t seen it yet. I can’t imagine why. That cartridge is a carbine waiting to happen, plenty of powder for a short barrel. An AR15 in 357sig , taking P226 mags? Damn… just tell me what the price is and where to send it! (Don’t you wish it was that easy…)

Is there a 5.7x28 carbine that takes the 5-7 pistol magazines? Not yet.

Maybe I missed the boat somewhere… I am old… but it seems that back in the1800’s they could put a lever action carbine and a wheel gun together using the same round, and save a gent the problem lugging two cartridges.

Now I just want the same with interchangable mags.

Do I want too much? (grin)

TA

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have one to go w/my PS90's and am hoping to pick up a 2nd by the end of the year.
If memory serves then Rhineland Arms is working on a 5.7 carbine that takes the FN FiveseveN mags.
Tomac

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I guess I don't want too much! (grin)

TA

·
Registered
95 Posts
eBell said:
I actually approached this from the other direction. Purchased the FiveseveN first and after month or so the PS90 was sitting there making a good case for having a pistol AND a rifle that shoot the same round. Crazy talking firearms, damn them!
i did the exact same thing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I beg to differ

I have brass that has survived 8 loadings and the coating is still intact and the primer pockets are still tight. The key is to use an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green and water for case cleaning, lube the cases with a good quality case lube before sizing ( I use Imperial ) and I don't run the loads to the max. I have had no problems with my reloads in my PS90 or USG using the above named guidelines.

Keith

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll probably get a Five-seveN if they don't get banned first. I always wanted one when they weren't available. I've always been intrigued by the 20 round magazine :twisted:

Cost is a factor. If it were priced like a Glock I'd probablly have one already.

I'm a little leary about the stopping power even out of a rifle, let alone out of a pistol with 500fps less velocity. I have a Glock 23 in .40 S&W and I have no qualms about it's power.

Texas Armadillo, I agree the .357 Sig would make a good carbine round. I never understood why Beretta never chambered the Storm rifle in it. I always wanted to see the Storm chambered in 10mm Auto.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree with Texas Armadillo, the fact that the two guns do not take the same magazines really negates the fact that they use the same caliber.

That's what drew me to the Beretta Cx4 - Px4 combo - same ammo & same mags. Cx4 on a sling - px4 in a holster and extra mags everywhere :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I guess I've been under a rock. :(

I didn't even know about the Storms. (Too much time on sig forums I guess :) )

If they make the Storms in 9mm and 40SW I can't a reason to not make a 357SIG version. Can't say I really like the looks of them, but maybe they would grow on me if I shot them.

TA

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rifle pistol combos

I've always liked the idea of matching rifle/pistols as well, but I still have no interest in the fiveseven pistol.

I believe Bushmaster sells AR-15s that take standard Glock mags, in 9mm and .40 Short and Weak. Those could be pretty nice grouped with some 30 round mags. If they made them in 10mm I'd get one for sure, some 150 grain 10mm pushed at peak preasure would have some nice FPS numbers out of a long barrel.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I've ALMOSt bought the Keltec fold up 9mm carbine so, so many times when I had my Glock 34 - they could have shared the same mags.

Unfortunately, if you mount a scope on it, it takes away the foldup ability. And, everyone who has one has told me that special folding mount that keltec sells doesn't work. Apparently, U have to rezero the gun each time. And, if U wear hearing muffs, it makes it very hard to lean down enough to use the stock sights. That's what finally convinced me not to buy one.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
http://www.csuk.us/sup_pro4.php#cutoff

I use these for hearing protection because thay are shaped in a way that does not touch the butt stock while firing shotguns and rifles. And they work really well. IMO the best protection money can buy.

TA

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Those are nice - a little too much for me, though :p

I have been using an old, old set for years. Got them from my ex-inlaws - they belonged to my ex-father in law. They are probably 25 years old :p

Anyway - a month or so ago, I finally bought a new set. These have foam padding on the cross connector, so I won't get headaches anymore after a while. But, $20 was my max limit there :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Holy cow! Can you imagine a FiveSeven pistol built around being able to accept a P90 magazine!?. It'd be like a Calico on crack!

I'll take two!

-LY

1 - 20 of 27 Posts