- i got to put velcro all over my gun to protect it
- the sights suck

:shock:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I dont think its a peice of junk personaly, just a gun that has a niche

if you think ammo is expensive try shooting 44mag and 50 bmg

I am not convinced letting the bolt slam home is detrimental to the gun but have only fired around 900rds thru mine so far

Bbl is designed to move

case dings dont bother me , no velcro on mine

all red dots suck, especialy compared to high qaulity german optics that should be on the gun

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
wlcohen said:
Let's see..
Just picked up my new $1800 PS90 and started reading this forum

- rounds cost a fortune
- you can not let breach slam, it may ruin the barrel
- the barel has a lot of movement
- i got to put velcro all over my gun to protect it
- the sights suck

:shock:
I do not think it is junk. I love the gun.

But, I did research it beforehand and knew the sight sucked. Other than that, it is kewl.

The barrel is designed to move a bit - it is a blowback design, and with the design and shape of the gun, it is necessary to have it move a bit.

The velcro is no big deal. It's inside of the gun for all practical purposes. No one can see it. And, it just protects the gun from cosmetic damage.

As for the breach - I don't worry about it after the last round. But, I don't just manually pull the action back and let it slam shut unless it is pulling a round back.

Do that with a 1911, and U will ruin the trigger job.

I think it is a great weapon.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
PS90 Investment

I believe that both the FNH PS90 and FS2000 will fall into the class similar to the Steyr Aug. Especially if some of the legislation that is being proposed passes into law. 2008 will tell, but I can remember when the first Styer Augs came out and I had a chance to buy one for the outrageous price of $700.00 (~25 years ago). I didn't and have regretted it since. Now, new in the box Steyr Augs are selling for $4500.00 on up (used $3000.00+).
The PS90 is a great rifle and is a good investment NIB or in a well maintained used condition. I think that in a few years time, you may see your PS90 increase in value due to restricted importation, ownership or possibly banned entirely. Then watch the prices spiral out of sight!
I have no solid facts to base this upon, but it usually happens to rifles this good.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I agree w/ U on that. I just hope the ammo doesn't dry up if the gun gets banned. They may not make it as available if they can't sell new ones to the public.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: PS90 Investment

mpftech said:
I believe that both the FNH PS90 and FS2000 will fall into the class similar to the Steyr Aug. Especially if some of the legislation that is being proposed passes into law. 2008 will tell, but I can remember when the first Styer Augs came out and I had a chance to buy one for the outrageous price of $700.00 (~25 years ago). I didn't and have regretted it since. Now, new in the box Steyr Augs are selling for $4500.00 on up (used $3000.00+).
The PS90 is a great rifle and is a good investment NIB or in a well maintained used condition. I think that in a few years time, you may see your PS90 increase in value due to restricted importation, ownership or possibly banned entirely. Then watch the prices spiral out of sight!
I have no solid facts to base this upon, but it usually happens to rifles this good.
that's exactly why i bought it

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't really think the sight sucks when you think about what the gun was intended for. It is a personal defense weapon. It was intended to take the place of a sidearm and give more firepower. It was meant to be used on full auto in CQB. A twenty-two cal round becomes fairly effective at close range when on full auto you stitch somebody with half a dozen rounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with panaceabeachbum and shipwreck, the ps-90 is not a turd. All weapons will have their drawbacks, especially the more highly specialized ones. If you take into account other submachine guns of this type, (a pdw, just a glorified subgun) you see how well this one is made, designed, and thought out.

Anything built by the hands of man will fail, its just a matter of time. I used to wrongly believe that my ps-90 was designed to be beyond reliable; but when you don't have a unit armorer in your house, you are on your own when it comes to repair. That's why I try to minimize wear and tear at any point that I possibly can. It's like owning a rare sports car; there aren't many mechanics that are good at fixing it, so you take care of it. (unless you are super-rich.) That doesn't mean you don't drive it, you just watch how you drive it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's an expensive toy gun. I went with several AR15s for effective workhorse rifles that were modular and tried/true. The PS90 is just for casual shooting/fun. It's a poor choice for a home defense weapon, the ammo hasn't been proven to be effective in humans. and all of the accessories are quite expensive. It's short, but the 16" barrel is still too long for small room clearing (the barrel gets in the way). The P90's 10" barrel is more intuitive because your supporting hand is essentially the end of the barrel. So as you swing it around in the room, your brain perceives the end of the barrel as being where your supporting hand is. Now on the PS90, there's extra barrel forward of your supporting hand.

Overall, I feel that the PS90 is a pretty neat toy gun if you have the money to spare. Otherwise I'll buy more AR15s and Glocks because they're fun to shoot, affordable to shoot, and they've been proven in combat many times over. if you want to play the "rare" card, so what if a lot of people own AR15s and Glocks? A lot of people own Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs but that does not detract from their performance capabilities. If you wanted to own a weapon that would increase significantly in value, get something that ISN'T mass produced, is very very rare, and has high collector's value/demand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nah...it's a great gun. I've got 2k+ through the thing with one failure to fire due to a hard primer. The thing has functioned flawlessly, and does ungodly things to watermelons, phone books, and small vermin. I suspect that it will be an effective manstopper, so I have to disagree with the "toy" assessment of metroplex's -- carbines have been used to great effectiveness historically.

It's not the 5.56mm round, but it's no slouch. It will, however, resell well, if you choose that you made a mistake.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Gotta agree w/black campbell. It's not a 5.56 but then it wasn't designed to replace it. No muzzle flash at all (AR's?), shorter length (I find it's a great length for room clearing, YMMV), mild muzzle blast (AR's?), easy to fire or change mags from prone (AR's?), easy to fire effectively w/one hand (AR's?) & little fear of overpenetration.
Reliable AR's? I know they exist but in the past 30yrs I've never owned one (everything from stock SP-1's to a custom XM-177E2, trouble w/all of them). Too many inherent design flaws for me to trust the platform (the troubleshooting forum at AR15.COM currently has 3,713 threads w/25,214 replies).
If the AR works for you then go for it, I'm quite happy w/the PS90 for what it is and what it does for my needs.
Tomac

·
Registered
268 Posts
The PS90 isn't as widely proliferated as the AR15, so you're not going to hear about many problems. However they do exist, like your friends hammer that fails to reset, or the magazines that break, etc... Give it 40 years on the civilian market and you'll build up a collection of QDRs.

My AR15s will eat Wolf all day long without a hitch. I trust the platform, the ammo, and apparently so does the military. :D The P90 OTOH, hasn't had the same reception by even the USMC.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I may buy an AR later this year. But as Tomac stated, the PS90 is a great gun. And, it will stay my fav. I like it much better than ARs, personally. And, when shouldered, I like the PS90 much better. I am satisfied w/ mine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you're thinking of AR type, seriously look at a Robinson Arms XCR. had a chance to shoot one at the range few weeks ago and want one since..
Less muzzlerise than an AR, piston based not dirty as an AR, less heat inside the receiver than the AR, and overall felt better on target. LOT easier to fieldstrip than an AR.

I sure will be getting one when I can before the ban hits.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There won't be a ban, and Robinson Arms has the worst customer service ever. They will ditch almost all support for previous products when something new comes along.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You didn't buy junk

I don't think you bought junk...and neither do the SF teams from the UK and Australia - they LOVE theirs (of course it's the P90). Remember the Secret Service uses them as a primary, too. You have a unique weapon that works reliably that fires a unique round that has incredible penetration abilities.

Most of the complaints I've read are centered around FN's inablitlity to service the American commercial market they exploit with their unique product.

(If you had a European sports car that you could only buy tires from one vendor at 3x the price of a similar tire AND the car didn't even come with floor mats, you would see similar sites with similar complaints.)

By the way, civilian home defense isn't a proper application for this weapon system, either. Shotguns are more practical. If you shoot someone (or worse, kill someone), you're going to be arrested and, in most states, you're going to have a trial. From a defense standpoint, a generic run-of-the-mill shotgun looks a lot less threatening than an exotic foreign military assault gun that "sprays" specialized, highly leathal, super-penetrating bullets.

But I guess I can start this topic on another string....

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: You didn't buy junk

134Bravo said:
By the way, civilian home defense isn't a proper application for this weapon system, either. Shotguns are more practical. If you shoot someone (or worse, kill someone), you're going to be arrested and, in most states, you're going to have a trial. From a defense standpoint, a generic run-of-the-mill shotgun looks a lot less threatening than an exotic foreign military assault gun that "sprays" specialized, highly lethal, super-penetrating bullets.

But I guess I can start this topic on another string....
I agree - I don't care what others say - I would never use an exotic looking weapon for self defense, I save them for the zombies!

·
Registered
320 Posts
metroplex said:
There won't be a ban, and Robinson Arms has the worst customer service ever. They will ditch almost all support for previous products when something new comes along.
That's odd, I called them twice and they addressed my questions immediately. Have you actually TRIED dealing with them, or just read things on the internet? Because from REAL LIFE experience, they're customer service is top notch. I haven't heard of any XCR owners state otherwise. :?:

BTW, I haven't got the chance to shoot mine yet (tomorrow will be the first day), but this is by far, the most comfortable gun that I have handled. And to those stating that this isn't a home defense weapon, I'm all out of 9mm for my Glock, the Benelli is just too damn big to move around, and I have my PS90 ready to go. I would feel 100% comfortable with this as my home defense weapon. If I'm on trial for saving my own life or more importantly, MY FAMILIES, I won't care what weapon I have. The closest one, that does the best job is what I will be grabbing. In the end, a justified shooting is a justified shooting, no matter how long it takes to clear things up. "Shoot now, ask questions later."

·
Registered
1 Posts
ps90 input

test drove my new ps90. only gripe i have is with factory sight. definately needs rail and an aimpoint . other than operated flawlessly for me. passed 100 rounds of 195 and 197 ammo. design definately make for a fast easy clean job .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts