FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my SCAR for a little over a year and although I've run close to 1k of rounds through the rifle I hadn't done any "accuracy testing" until yesterday. So I ponied up the big bucks for some premium ammo and hit the range. Black Hills 168s and Federal Gold Sierra Match 168s. No, I'm not a reloader and frankly until my kids are out of the house and I'm gray and sagging I have other things I'd like to do with my time. :icon_lol:

Nothing scientific here, just a 35 year old eyes, a 70 degree Colorado day, and a dude shooting prone at 100 yards with a $20 bipod. I also stretched it out to 600 yards but the wind was variable and I don't have any wind reading training. I was on paper at 600 but the groups opened up. Rifle has a Gisselle trigger and Vortex 2.5x10 FFP scope.

Results: not only is this rifle reliable, but it's way more accurate than I expected. I encourage all 17 owners to get out there and do this type of shooting with your rifle, it brings out another side to the rifle that I didn't believe until I did it myself. It really rounds out the justification for the price tag: lightweight, reliable, and more accurate than you!

Average group 1 MOA. Bottom right was typical of the Black Hills.
image1.PNG

Best group of the day. Lucky? Probably. But did I shoot a 0.5 MOA group with my SCAR? Yes.
image2.JPG

One thing for you guys with more precision time behind the SCAR. Have you changed your stock for something with a higher cheek weld? I was having a hard time getting comfortable on the stock and curious to see what alternatives are out there.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Nice - where'd you do the long range shooting? Up at the Pawnee Grassland?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buffalo Creek/Camp Fickes near Bailey. Sort of a hidden gem, not a lot of people know about it. Has a military style 2/3/600 yard range and I believe was used for training around WW1. Also has a 100/50/25 and pistol range. Wind on the long range is a major challenge!

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Try a Power Technik adapter and Magpul PRS stock. Right on the edge of too long for my stumpy arms but might work for you. I tried it prone and found it more comfortable than OEM.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nice shooting. Over on calguns A guy was asking about selling his m1a and buying a scar 17s, most said dont sell it. I was like uhh you dont care for it So sell it amd get the best battle rifle there is. One of the biggest m14 fanboys in history interjected that the scar 17 is grossly overpriced and obviously was all hype because it should not cost anywhere near that much, he then proceeded to explaim how his sage ebr m14 could get him 2 mstching scar 17s and a bunch of mags if he sold it. What a joke. A scar is expensive, yet its lighter, shoots better, shoots the same round, better ergos, and likely more accurate than a 6k$ m14ebr. Hmmm.
anyway nice shooting OP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts