FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I own an FNS9, and absolutely love it, however I'm really curious as to what the differences are between the FNS series and the FNX. I'm trying to decide on what my next pistol will be, be that if its a 1911 or an FNX-40 or 45, and if the FNX is much better then the FNS, that will probably sway the decision that way.

Other then the visually noticable differences, is the FNX leaps and bounds better then the FNS?

I apologize if this thread has already been made but my work computer isn't letting me use the search feature.... :p

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I would not say the FNX is leaps and bounds better than the FNS. It's hammer fired and has a safety/decocker. The single action trigger is better than the FNS's trigger, but it also has the double action trigger, which will be heavier and a little longer than the FNS's trigger for the first shot.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You can't say one is better than the other. Two completely different firing systems. FNX uses a traditional hammer. Both guns are of equal quality. It is just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh okay so FN didnt come out with the FNX series as an upgrade to the FNS? Well that makes more sense then, so it's more or less just a matter of preference?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
No, the FNS came out after the FNX. The FNX was an upgrade from the FNP.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Oh okay so FN didnt come out with the FNX series as an upgrade to the FNS? Well that makes more sense then, so it's more or less just a matter of preference?
Yes, do you prefer the simplicity of your striker fired pistol with the same trigger pull each time, or the double/single action trigger of a hammer fired weapon. Up to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A buddy and I have compared the FNX-9 FNS-9 side-by-side. The pistols are not exactly the same size and shape: the slides look almost identical, but the frames are not. The FNX frame is a little wider near the nose, so they fit differently in a holster.

When we swapped pistols in holsters, the FNS was loose in the FNX holster, and the FNX wouldn't fit into the FNS holster. To be clear: we weren't comparing a holster marketed for the FNX with a holster marketed for the FNS. We were comparing a holster used to carry the FNS with the holster used to carry the FNX. After that experiment, I'm a little leery about buying a holster for "both the FNS and the FNX".

Despite reports to the contrary, the magazines are not interchangeable. The FNS seems to be able to use an FNX magazine, but the FNX can't use the FNS magazine.

None of this really matters if you're looking to buy one or the other. Personally, I prefer the FNX. But not everyone does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts