FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the old and new version of Five-seveN magazines?

Also, CMMG Inc. sells magazine extensions for the older versions of the magazines, is there anything available for the newer versions?

Thanks up front for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What mags are these? Never mind, I understand what the V is. Obviously these are the newer versions. Very helpful.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
You have to modify the bottom inner edge of your FN mag for the extensions to work!! Once done they work flawlessly. I put extension on and looked from the bottom up you will see the edge of original mag protruding this is where the follower gets hung up. It is about an 1/8". I took a dremmel with a small grinding or sand paper bit and on an inside angle took the edge down a little at a time and then assembling the mag and rechecking with fingers and spring with follower. You can feel it stick when pushing it slowly up fdom bottom.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man I love this forum, ask and you shall receive. Exactly the info I needed. Thanks...

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
And you've done this with the new style mags?
Put extension on and look down bottom of mag with light and if you see or feel that lip catching that is the issue..I am not sure if any of the mags I converted are newer or not?? Will have to look when I have time..You can also get around this by only loading 26 or 27 rounds if you do not want to hack your mags..Just go slow on a steep inward angle and keep fitting back together and push follower on spring real slow from very bottom and feel if it is at all sticky..If it is at all sticky keep fileing, grinding, sanding, or whatever you are doing slowly until it does not catch at all and is smooth as butter..

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Put extension on and look down bottom of mag with light and if you see or feel that lip catching that is the issue..I am not sure if any of the mags I converted are newer or not?? Will have to look when I have time..You can also get around this by only loading 26 or 27 rounds if you do not want to hack your mags..Just go slow on a steep inward angle and keep fitting back together and push follower on spring real slow from very bottom and feel if it is at all sticky..If it is at all sticky keep fileing, grinding, sanding, or whatever you are doing slowly until it does not catch at all and is smooth as butter..
I know how to make the extension work on the mags, I've been using them for years, and how to make them work with the old mags has been covered in numerous threads. The question was will they work on the new style mags.

Reactions: DiamondBack

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I know how to make the extension work on the mags, I've been using them for years, and how to make them work with the old mags has been covered in numerous threads. The question was will they work on the new style mags.
Just looked and no they will not with out grinding, sanding, or somehow shaving down the ^ that runs the length of the front...The new FNH OEM mag springs are smaller to accommodate that spine. The CMMG mag extensions I bought a last spring will not fit inside mag with that new spine. About 1/16" all the way down has to come off...

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Thanks for the info. :?

Reactions: DiamondBack
1 - 10 of 10 Posts