FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while thinking about different options for a laser mount,something that would be closer to the barrel.i noticed that an air soft G3 scope mount would fit on the front side of the reciever.at the rear and the top of the mount it has a squared area with a hole driled into it.if you flip the mount upside down and put it over the square area at the front side of the reciever it fits perfiect.the weaver rails straddle the front and rear of the square area on the reciever.also the hole thea is predrilled is centered in the square.with a spacer between the mount and the reviever for tightening it should do good.with only finger pressure holding the mount to the gun i get about a 1/16 of an inch movement up and down at the end of the 9" mount.the mount is 7/16"thick,which puts the top(left side)of the mount 1/2" off axis from the bore.

·
Registered
569 Posts
crap i hate the computer.thought i did everything right for posting pictures.little help anyone?
Looks like you're trying to link directly to the host server instead of the picture in question.
Tomac

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd option i have would be to use the 2 stock mounting screws,and mount the rail upside down so the weaver rail is touching the stock.it dosn't seem to be in the way of anything.both options give the same distance away from the barrel.the mounting holes are at the pencled cross and the tip of my finger.oh the length is long will have to trim it.

i think i have it now.thanks again tomac,very big help.

·
Registered
569 Posts
thanks tomac
You're welcome. Here's a sample link, deliberately broken so you can see how it's supposed to look & unbroken to show the pic itself:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofPS90withAimpoint019.jpg[/[email protected]] (@ added to break the link)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofPS90withAimpoint019.jpg
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Fixed it for 'ya:

Tomac

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think option 2 is the better bet. I've done exactly that and was pleased with the results.
I had to go to the hardware store to find a suitable fastener and I ended up getting a pair of non-metric socket head hex screws and two brass thumb nuts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great idea

Great idea.

What would be really nice is a two piece clamp deal that would clamp some of the common round laser bodies then slip over each side of the PS90 with the screws passing all the way through.

Real close laser to bore axis and rigid.

Imagine something like the mount in this picture with two aluminum plates extending backward from it drilled to match the two stock holes on the PS90.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Promoted Pawn said:
I think option 2 is the better bet. I've done exactly that and was pleased with the results.

i thougth this would be the best also,but would the laser get more abuse being under the barrel?i kinda thought it might be more protected being above the barrel?i have a feeling that trying to stay close to objects or the ground when shooting at targets might be a problem.cool thing is there is enough material in the one mount to do it both ways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh M548,with the rail mounted as shown,it would put the laser 1/2" under the barrel.i might have to be real careful when i look for lasers.some might not fit.was thinking of something like this

·
Registered
47 Posts
i assume the priority is having the laser as close to boreline as possible?

if you look at the bracket i made (see post "taclight front and center") and take it a step further, weld a rail to the bracket and instead of threading machine screws thru the stock, you can split the stock, and fix the braket thru one half only, no exposed hardware whatsoever.

i left the rail section off, to keep the light as slim as possible, and so if i add a light/laser combo later, the laser will be close to boreline.

lasers, lights, both, whatever you want to hook up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lightfinger you are correct.i was wanting somthing close to the bore.the idea of splitting the stock that you stated is a very good idea.well done.it would not be a bad idea also to weld 2 tube type spacers to the rail for the 2 stock screws to go thrue for support.the only thing i wonder about is the stock and reciever are 2 seperate pices.there is a little movement between the 2.it would be nicer to have it mounted to the reciever.or is it pointless to worry about that small bit of movement for the laser?
it would be nice to see someone make a 90 degree bracket that could be drilled and tapped to the front of the reciever just over the barrel.hint hint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
whether it is a needless worry would depend strictly on how accurate/repeatable you wanted to to be. personally, i think its all academic beyond 3 or 4 minutes of angle on a cqb gun, and even more so with a laser. but others disagree.

btw:

i gaot my taaaax stamp, i got taaaaax stamp!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts