FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a brand new Five Seven MKII. Noticed out of the box, the rear sight adjustment looked pretty high elevation wise, and windage was one notch left.

Finally had a chance to test it out and I'm pretty disappointed.

At 25 feet, out of the box it was shooting low and to the left. Using SS197.

I'm not new to shooting pistols, but I thought maybe it was me, so I tried different hand-holds/finger placement and same thing.

I had to go clockwise full adjustment on both elevation and windage. Windage was on now, but even then with SS197 it was 6-7 inches low.

I tried some SS198 I brought to test, and elevation was 2-3 inches low still.

There is no more adjustment to the rear sight available. Not sure what to do at this point except contact FN.

Anyone got any input.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Could be mistaken but I believe it's sighted in with SS195 from the factory, definitely not with SS197. If I read your post right you've raised the rear to the max and are still low, at that point you need to contact FNH. I've only had issue lowering the rear for very fast loads on my MKII, my adjustable USG sights can go lower so I use those for carry and the MKII for suppressor use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be mistaken but I believe it's sighted in with SS195 from the factory, definitely not with SS197. If I read your post right you've raised the rear to the max and are still low, at that point you need to contact FNH. I've only had issue lowering the rear for very fast loads on my MKII, my adjustable USG sights can go lower so I use those for carry and the MKII for suppressor use.
Correct, factory sighting is SS195 at 25 feet.

I know SS197 would shoot low, but I figured the adjustable rear sight should have adjusted enough to correct it.

SS198 should have been very close.

I opened a case with FNH, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the last 3 mkii’s I have purchased all had the sights set similarly. My adjustments allowed it to zero out correctly though. Have em all set to different ammo types.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This seems to have been a problem since the MKII came out. I experienced the same when I bought mine in 2017, and FN never really got back to me about it.
the last 3 mkii’s I have purchased all had the sights set similarly. My adjustments allowed it to zero out correctly though. Have em all set to different ammo types.
That's a bit of a let down to hear.

This was quite an expensive pistol to be having such issues.

I bought it as a self-defense carry, so having to adjust it to the maximum adjustments and still not even to be able to zero is inexcusable and baffles me how it left the factory like this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're carrying for self defense then SS198 closely mimics the ballistics of SS195, for which the MKII was zero'd for. I had to max out my elevation on my rear sight and make conscious holdovers (aka I want center mass hits I'm aiming for the throat 0-25 yards).

The other option is have the sights corrected by Elite Ammunition. My understanding is Jay corrects the POI with a different set of sights.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I certainly wouldn’t give up on the platform. I’m 5’9”, 150lbs and I CC the fiveseven daily. I have sent one of my fivesevens to jay at elite ammunition to get some work done but also to get low profile fixed nightsights.
I had a fixed sight usg a long time ago and I missed how clean it looked and shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're carrying for self defense then SS198 closely mimics the ballistics of SS195, for which the MKII was zero'd for. I had to max out my elevation on my rear sight and make conscious holdovers (aka I want center mass hits I'm aiming for the throat 0-25 yards).

The other option is have the sights corrected by Elite Ammunition. My understanding is Jay corrects the POI with a different set of sights.
I certainly wouldn’t give up on the platform. I’m 5’9”, 150lbs and I CC the fiveseven daily. I have sent one of my fivesevens to jay at elite ammunition to get some work done but also to get low profile fixed nightsights.
I had a fixed sight usg a long time ago and I missed how clean it looked and shot.
I don't plan to give up on it, just very disappointed to hear this is not an isolated incident with the MKII, especially with how expensive it is.

The gun should be better zeroed from the factory, especially if factory zero is 25 feet.

The point of adjustable rear sights is to account for different ammunition, which should only be minor adjustments, not maxing out the adjustments and still having more needed.

I called FN since I had not heard back about if they will give a shipping label, and they issued me a label for return on the phone.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The gun should be better zeroed from the factory, especially if factory zero is 25 feet.

The point of adjustable rear sights is to account for different ammunition, which should only be minor adjustments, not maxing out the adjustments and still having more needed.
I know my MKII and my USG with adjustable sights both work with all available factory ammo. With SS198 I get close to bottoming out the MKII sights but it still will zero at 15-25 yards (my normal pistol zero). Once I step up to faster rounds the MKII sights won't cut it but my USG has more room to go so it gets carried more with my defensive loads. Neither guns sights work well with a threaded barrel due to the increase in velocity from barrel length, with faster rounds.

This thread has me thinking about sending Jay one of my fixed sight USG's for 25 yard zero with night sights and SS198. Might be a good investment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
SS195 and SS198 are very similar, that's what I shoot the most.
SS197 is a great deal different, especially with height. I gave up on re-setting foe each.
I just keep it aligned for SS195/SS198, and compensate with SS197.
I won't buy SS197 if I can get the other two.

The problem isn't the gun, it's the very different characteristics of the ammo.
A baseball hits a lot different than a softball. SS197 is 50% heavier than the other two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SS195 and SS198 are very similar, that's what I shoot the most.
SS197 is a great deal different, especially with height. I gave up on re-setting foe each.
I just keep it aligned for SS195/SS198, and compensate with SS197.
I won't buy SS197 if I can get the other two.

The problem isn't the gun, it's the very different characteristics of the ammo.
A baseball hits a lot different than a softball. SS197 is 50% heavier than the other two.
I tried SS198, it was still hitting 2-3 inches low at 25 feet.

Windage and elevation was maxed out. I do not consider that acceptable, especially for a NIB firearm.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I tried SS198, it was still hitting 2-3 inches low at 25 feet.

Windage and elevation was maxed out. I do not consider that acceptable, especially for a NIB firearm.
25 feet is probably too close for the cartridge, try 15-20 yards and see if it'll zero.
Even if you are 2-3in low at really close range that's still more than good enough in a defensive situation but I'd understand the frustration.
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
25 feet is probably too close for the cartridge, try 15-20 yards and see if it'll zero.
Even if you are 2-3in low at really close range that's still more than good enough in a defensive situation but I'd understand the frustration.
Good luck
Factory zero is 25 feet with SS195.

SS198 is near identical to SS195.

The main problem is having to max out the rear sight adjustments just to barely make zero at that distance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, got a notification that my pistol is being shipped back.

There are no notes on the service case, so I have no idea what they have done to it though.

All they posted is 2 target images. I cropped them to see it easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the pistol today, no notes in the letter on work performed, just the targets.

Checked the rear sight and windage is centered, and elevation is very high sticking up.

I'll update when I go to the range in the next week or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts