FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how you disassemble the breechblock assembly? I only want to remove the breechblock from the guiderails to give them a wipedown. The guiderods are held in place by snaprings on the front and a plastic piece on the back end. It looks like the assembly could be taken apart simply if I knew the right trick. I hope you don't have to remove the snap rings, I could see them getting lost real fast.

Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's a good question. FNH did not include detail strip instructions so it is safe to assume that:

1). You do not need to detail strip the breech block.
2). After 20,000 rounds when you do need to detail strip the block, the barrel is shot out anyhow so it is time to send it back to FNH for a refurb.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
metroplex said:
That's a good question. FNH did not include detail strip instructions so it is safe to assume that:

1). You do not need to detail strip the breech block.
2). After 20,000 rounds when you do need to detail strip the block, the barrel is shot out anyhow so it is time to send it back to FNH for a refurb.
No, I've never owned a rifle before this. But, I do know handguns. And, I know how mnay shots U can easily go thru before "wearing" out a gun. Easily over 100K before U shoot out a barrel.

I'd be surprised if ya can only shoot around 20K thru this thing before U have issues...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Normal handgun barrels are designed differently and use different ammo (lower pressure).

The chrome lining in the Five-seveN barrel and the PS90 barrel does not last forever, and when that wears out (20k-30k rounds), the precision starts to loosen up. That's in addition to the 50,000 psi chamber pressure and high bullet velocities. A Glock barrel can last 100k-300k rounds, but we are talking about PS90s and not Glocks in this thread.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Is that about the same for an AR barrel?

I didn't know this stuff...

Well, with the high ammo costs, it will be a long time before I hit that amount :p

·
Registered
268 Posts
chrome lined AR15 barrels shot in slow semi-auto fire should last 30k-40k rounds at most. The faster you fire, and the hotter the load, the lower the lifespan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts