FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

Just purchased an FS2000 and started to field strip it to clean and lubricate prior to heading to the range for the first time. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting the piston out of the housing. With the plug out, I ran a couple cotton swabs in the housing to make sure it was clean prior to removing the piston, pushed the OREA 892 into the slide rod housing while following it up with the slide rod. It pushes the piston to within a half inch or so from the opening of the piston housing, but won't go any further. The manual states "Push the slide rod until the piston is ejected out of its housing." Um, not working. :(

I know it's something I'm doing incorrectly, but just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
408 Posts
take the take down tool that comes with the gun and hold teh weapon barrel down. Drop the takedown tool in the gas pistol hole. You don't need to push it down in there hard, just drop it in a few times.. it will 'tap' it's way out. You can also use a cleaning rod if you like, but it seems better to me to do it a bit at a time... impact wise. considering the impact it takes on recoil I doubt you are going to damage it by dropping the take down tool in the gas piston housing. Little by little it'll come out. At least that's how I did it. Hope that helps, and if anyone else has a better way, I'd like to hear it as well.

Zhur

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'll try that. I did clean and lube everything else and re-assembled. I even worked some oil into the piston housing. Would you feel ok shooting prior to removing the piston for the first time? Just wondering if I should go out for a range session, and then disassemble for a full cleaning and re-attempt the piston removal at that point.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Personally, I don't shoot a gun until I've completely torn it apart, cleaned, checked, lubed, and reassembled. It is utterly amazing, some of the things I've heard of when people don't fully clean a rifle before shooting. Stuff like Styrofoam clogging up the barrel, plastic bits in chamber, springs not on carriers, stuff like that. I personally haven't had any major issues, but know people that have experienced the above mentioned problems.

I'd recommend cleaning it well before shooting.

Zhur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oiled the piston? Did you read your manual? I don't own one but I've never heard of oiling pistons ... I know if you oil anything you're not supposed to in a PS90 you're risking reliability issues or worse. I hope you didn't lube your trigger pack ...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oiling can be a subjective term. I oil all internal metal parts. Doesn't mean I don't wipe them off afterwards. Tetra gun oil is great as it penetrates a bit. For instance, on my DSA FN-FAL, I pull the piston, clean it, wipe light tetra on it, let it sit for a while, then wipe it off.

Squid is correct though Sundevil, be mindful of where you are putting oil and how much. Oil attracts particles, particles are bayyuuud mmmkay.

Zhur

·
Registered
980 Posts
There's one thing with field stripping the FS2K that gets me occasionally. Sometimes I forget to take the mag out. You can't slide the bolt group out with the mag in there.

As for complete disassembly the FS has some tricky points. The inspection port cover is difficult to reassemble. The spring has to be put under extreme tension to get the port back into place. The force needed is enough to break the plastic that holds the spring, if you're not careful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate everyone's help. I'm familiar with not oiling piston housings since the workings are similiar to an HK P7M8, but I was hoping the oil would assist in getting the piston to come out. Bob at FN notified my to keep trying by gently tapping the piston as the instruction manual states, so I'll keep trying when I get a moment. After it is out, I'll make sure to clean the housing and piston off prior to using so no oil is left to attract the fouling.

Hope you all have a great week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts