FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discreet carry bags are popular these days, and they should be. Problem is that some manufactures forget what discreet means. For instance, black is a popular color, but in tactical nylon it is not the best choice for a carbine length bag. I have a custom made carbine bag in bright blue. It looks more like a sports bag. Find a embroidery shop that does transfers, and have a non gun related logo put on it. You may get some strange looks at the range when you pull up with your pink Hanna Montana bag, until you whip out a PS90!

Guitar cases are also good, but only if you are not worried about it being stolen out of your vehicle. So are baseball bat bags. Throw it in the backseat with a glove next to it.

Your carry bag is a carry bag! It is not for long term storage in a vehicle.

Tactically speaking, padding is to protect the functioning of the weapon, not the finish. Padding also prevents the shape of the weapon for showing.

A kelvar padded bag can also serve as a shield against pistol rounds, but they can be expensive.

A roll of orange tape can be useful as well. Tape the front of your barrel to make it look like a toy and let your 8 year old carry it, unloaded of course! While this may be an extreme example, it may come in useful in certain situations. Use your imagination. Anyone remember how Oswald snuck his rifle into the school book depository?

Lastly, train on deploying the weapon from the bag in a timely manner.

Comments and suggestions?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a large backpack I use. It has many different storage places and layers so I can sepeate my handguns and mags. Plus in I keep the ammo at the bottom of the main compartment. Thank I have a small plastic tackle box I keep my swabs, oil, cleaner, grease and all the other odds and ends in. As for my rifles, most ranges will not allow it. I don't take out very often. I have used large duffle bags before.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your are certainly on to something, I have been making Back Packs, and Gun Cases for about 17 years, and ALL of them in Black, Camo, or OD.

With the exception of two, I made a two tone Gray and two tone Burgundy, and I could NOT Give those things away, I think after some many years, I just tossed them

but I would be happy to make some Bright Colored gear if you guys want it. just let me know

the only concealment holster I have really done are like this

http://thevestguy.com/images/CHPnew.jpg

and I used to put logo's and lettering on the front

and thanks for adding the Tactics Corner

·
Registered
426 Posts
Improvise, Adapt & Overcome. The last thing I'd worry about, if the lives of my family or myself were in harms way, is a felony charge. :twisted:
I'd stick a subgun in a diaper bag in a second. :evil:
And I've been known to carry a folding stock shotgun in a violin case and a pistol in a cut-out book. The PS90 fits well in a gym bag too. :?
Also have a Vanson Leather bike jacket with built in under arm holster pocket fitted to 1911A1. Has pocket for two spare mags and provisions for armor & plates. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
dewalt powerdrill casee make nice carriers after you glue in some foam . Although they may be inviting to steal .....hey those drills are pricy .

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
The first thing I thought of when I read "guitar case" was this...

Descrete is difficult with a rifle and scope that's for sure.

The trick is to use something that looks like something a thief doesn't want and can't sell. And also looks normal carrying it around. The Pelican Case is great for a PS90 but a thief will be drawn to it, so it may be great for carrying the gun around but not good if you have to leave it in the car.

I have seen people use tent bags and boxes, and those camping chairs come with a bag that works well for shot guns like the 870 Marine Magnum.

I really like the baseball bag idea, I hadn't thought of that. The AR15 would easily hide in that.

But 90% of the time I just hide the rifle behind the seat of my truck out of sight and with a towel around it. My thoughts are that if the guy has already broken into the truck he is going to find the rifle. It's only when I have to have the rifle in plain sight that is the problem for me.

For handguns, I have a mens travel kit similar to this one that I use for moving my truck gun, mags, and ammo, to and from the truck.

I also have a daily planner case about the same size as the case in TheVestGuy's post, that works well for just moving the handgun.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Iraq Ninja said:
Anyone remember how Oswald snuck his rifle into the school book depository?

Comments and suggestions?
lol. I actually do not recall how this was done.

I am thinking that a "Harry Potter" bag would be more the current style.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
The trick is to use something that looks like something a thief doesn't want and can't sell.
That's the problem. People will steal anything. Here is how you be discreet. Try not to flash gun bags around when loading up the car. Keep everything in your trunk. Keep the inside of your car spotless. No loose paper, electronics, etc. None of my cars have ever been broken into. Probably because they are empty 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts