FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post follows my visit to the FN display area at the 2014 NRA National Convention Trade Show. There are so many threads about this problem, I decided to start a new thread. The problem - the FNX 45 Mag Release bar is prone to sticking and not re-centering itself, and the mag release must re-center properly or your magazines will fall out of the gun. I, and four family members own five FNX-45s, produced in Oct 2012, all have identical problem. Here's a weird thing I discovered - the problem seems temperature sensitive - which I discovered by accident. When I store the pistol in a cold environment, the mag release can get non-functional....I'm talking 45-60 degrees. If I warm the pistol up by carrying it next to my body IWB for a few hours, the mag release mysteriously seems to start functioning fine, or nearly perfect. Cool the gun back down, mag release gets stickier the colder it gets.

At the FN display area at the NRA Trade Show in Indianapolis, 4/25/2014……. By the way, I have not sent my pistol back to FN to be repaired – but another fella who was standing next to me at the FN display who I started talking with, has sent his back, and it still has the problem. The other FNX 45 owner standing next to me asked if I am a member of this forum, and I confirmed that I am. So, maybe he will see this post and he can confirm the things I’m going to recall from our conversation with an FN Rep at the show. We were both pressing the magazine release buttons on the FNX 45s on display at the NRA show, which is what got the other owner and me talking. There were three or four FNX 45s on the display table that could be handled – all of them had sticking mag releases.

(How serious of a defect is this sticking mag release – you decide – it’s causes two malfunctions in my FNX45 – I pushed magazine up into the mag well, and it fell out on the ground. I picked it back up and pushed it up into the gun hard, and it fell back out. Another time, I forgot to check and manually re-center the mag release bar after inserting a magazine, I racked the slide and the top round in the magazine misfed and the rest of the magazine full of ammo fell to the ground. When the magazine release button/bar does not re-center, the magazine IS NOT FULLY LOCKED IN THE GUN. Decide for yourself how serious this defect is.)

An FN representative, Ernie Beckwith, approached us. We immediately asked him when FN was going to fix the mag release problem on the FNX 45s. His first response was to play dumb with “What problem?” We explained that we both own them, both have the problem, that the other owner has actually sent his back with nothing fixed, and that we’ve lost count of the people on the FN Forum who have the exact same problem. Ernie’s next response was “well, you have to take what you read on those internet forums with a grain of salt”. At this point, there are other people listening to the conversation…at which time we started showing Ernie that all his display pistols still have the same problem, and that he can go ahead and try it for himself…as the other owner held up one of the FNX 45s, pressed the mag release button, and it failed to return toward center at all.

At this point, everything from Ernie did a 180. He confirmed that there is a problem, and emphasized and re-emphasized that “there is not just one problem with that part of the FNX 45, there are multiple problems, and there is not just one fix, not just one change or adjustment that will fix it – FN is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. There has been word of something about the FNP 45 mag releases getting mixed up in some way with the FNX45. But right now, you cannot fix the problem by changing the mag release or the spring because there is not just one problem.

Now – this made some sense to me. I and my father have spent a few countless hours messing with the spring, disassembling etc., and a few times we’ve thought we improved it or fixed it. Like I have said before, get the gun cold again, and you’re right back where you were. It was only as I processed the information I had heard for about 2 ½ seconds, that I had to continue the questions.

I reconfirmed what I had heard – FN is aware of the problem and is working on a fix, and it’s on the way? And Ernie reconfirmed and emphasized that there is not just one thing that is causing the problem – and then asked us to please be patient, and suggested that we not try to fix the problem ourselves by trying a new mag release bar or new spring because neither will help.

I told Ernie that the immediate problem here is that FN is continuing to knowingly sell defective guns, your display guns prove that and so do the FNX 45s on the shelf at the local gun stores. And it’s a major functioning problem that FN itself has so far not figured out a fix for. Ernie offered his business card with his email address at FN and asked us to please email him on Monday so he could forward the concerns to someone up the food chain at FN. It was his way of helping us move along – and away from the FN pistol display table. Ultimately, Ernie’s apparent 180 to acknowledgment and honesty about the problem, created more questions than answers.

I know with 100% certainty that the tolerances of the mag release bar and the polymer material encountered by the mag release bar – change with temperature. Anyone who owns one – check me out on this. For WHATEVER it is, either in the metal, or in the polymer, that would cause tolerances to change with temperature – FN and everyone else could chase that problem indefinitely. If someone who is a metallurgist or a polymerlurgist could explain, what would cause tolerances of either the steel mag release bar, or the polymer frame, to change with temperature? – and I’m referring to a temperature change of as little as 25 degrees…..from 55 to 80…..makes a significant change in the tolerances between the mag release bar and the polymer it fits through from one side of the gun to the other.

Until now – I have done all kinds of mental gymnastics to give FN the benefit of the doubt regarding this problem – that is no longer possible at all.

Folks – it is past time for FN to get truthful with it’s customers about what FN does know about the nature of this problem. It is way past time for FN to cease sales of these known defective pistols. And it is past time for FN to start buying back pistols for which FN cannot come up with a fix.

Tomorrow, Monday, 4/28/2014 – I am contacting FN and am going to request, one time, an adult conversation with someone influential at FN regarding the known problems with the FNX45 mag release bar sticking – if no such conversation is possible, I am asking to be directed to FN’s Attorney. I will provide the information to FN, or their attorney, that I have stated here – along with a suggestion that strong consideration should be given to stopping the sale of these defective pistols, and get truthful with the owners of these defective guns about what FN understands so far about the problem, and what is ultimately going to be done about it.

I will post back what happens.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm thankful I got a good one since there seems to be so many affected. Good luck and am curious to hear what happens.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Mine's not affected either (FDE one made in 2013)

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had a bad one but a quick file of the mag release, she's smooth as butta.

I read that the problem isn't so much the mag release but the actual frame and the hole where the mag release fits.

http://fnforum.net/forums/cerakote-industrial-finishers/56309-fnx-45-tactical-magazine-drop-free-fix-diy-send-cif-repair.html

"1. The FNX 45 magazines are a hair bigger than older FNP 45 magazines - they did not drop free in the FNP 45 tactical either
2. The FNX frame hole where the magazine release slides may not perfectly straight

This has the following effect: When the operator of the firearm depress the magazine release button, the magazine release travels at an arc inside the frame - instead of traveling in a straight line - left to tight. This forces the side of the mag catch to protrude into the magazine well causing the magazine to bind on the catch."

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
“well, you have to take what you read on those internet forums with a grain of salt” Probably my favorite part of your story. Good to know we are held in such high esteem at FN. It's not like we buy much of their product or know anything about using them.:p

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Mine was sticking and i had to send it back to FNH. I never fired it. I got it back a week ago or so. Seems to be fixed but i still have not taken it out to shoot yet.( Take that with a grain of salt FNH!)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like Ernie was talking out his backside so as not to look stupid in front of you guys. He probably truly didn't know, then faked knowing. The "It's neither this, nor that, but this and that and this and that" routine is classic backed-in-a-corner response. Ignore him and send in your gun for repair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
“well, you have to take what you read on those internet forums with a grain of salt” Probably my favorite part of your story. Good to know we are held in such high esteem at FN. It's not like we buy much of their product or know anything about using them.:p
Yea that pissed me off as well. Nothing like being dismissed.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't own one but the first I ever put hands on had the same issue. My buddy had just purchased it and showing it to me. I'd never seen or heard of one but I noticed the problem right away. It didn't concern him much. It sure was nice though! Another friend of mine bought one a few months ago that I did fire and checked. We put about 100 rounds through it that day and had zero issues. (Except his hand being chewed up from the aggressive grip!) :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
It bothers me that he was called on it and finally admitted that there was a problem. IMO, that makes him look like a liar and does not represent FNH very well.
I agree that they need to halt sales. I have 2 now and a FDE Tactical (born Oct. 2013) on the way. My first, a stainless FNX 45, has the sticking issue. My second, a blued FNX 45, does not have the problem. So I truly hope my Tactical does not have the problem.

Thank you for this post.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Finally someone admits that there is a design flaw in the FNX haha. My FNX stuck out of the box and had to do a little grind and polish to get it to work correctly

·
Registered
60 Posts
My issue has always been that being it is a combat handgun, built to compete in the handgun replacement program for the US military, one would think it would have been pretty well rung out. The fact that this problem even exists baffles me, the fact it has gone on this long is just Bull****.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My issue has always been that being it is a combat handgun, built to compete in the handgun replacement program for the US military, one would think it would have been pretty well rung out. The fact that this problem even exists baffles me, the fact it has gone on this long is just Bull****.
Here's another bit of irony - the five FNX-45s bought by myself and family are the rare FNX45 Blued w/night sights - they were from FN as part of a group of pistols sent to compete for a Georgia law enforcement contract. The pistols we bought were not actually utilized in the testing, so they were still new - and we had the chance to buy them because FN lost that one to Glock.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but wasn't it the FNP45T that was submitted for the HRP for consideration? I own one and I don't recall this being an issue until they replaced it with the FNX series. Since I don't have one to compare it to, I do not know what is different about the mag release between the two. I only know that they lengthened the front to back size of the mags to better accommodate over spec. length of some types of ammo. I do not know why it would require a redesign of the mag release of a proven system.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but wasn't it the FNP45T that was submitted for the HRP for consideration?
That is correct. And I don't remember anyone having any issues with the FNP's.

They may have changed the molds for the FNX, so that might be the problem (or a couple of the molds have a problem but not all).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll chime in now. I was there for the whole conversation and was the guy that sent his 45t back in. That's exactly how the conversation went I can back that up. So I was explaining about when I sent mine back in and all they done was replace a mag release spring and sent it back. I told the FN rep that the problem was still there and he simply said just hold on and wait for a fix because it's more then just one thing wrong. I'm sorry to say that waiting isn't much of an option with me and paying good money for a gun that needs to go back again. On a side note I thought about selling mine at a loss and just go buy a new one, but while checking some new 45t's out at the local gun shop they all had the same problems. So I hate to say it but I'm pretty happy with all my other FN products, but after this run around with them it maybe time to spend my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll chime in now. I was there for the whole conversation and was the guy that sent his 45t back in. That's exactly how the conversation went I can back that up. So I was explaining about when I sent mine back in and all they done was replace a mag release spring and sent it back. I told the FN rep that the problem was still there and he simply said just hold on and wait for a fix because it's more then just one thing wrong. I'm sorry to say that waiting isn't much of an option with me and paying good money for a gun that needs to go back again. On a side note I thought about selling mine at a loss and just go buy a new one, but while checking some new 45t's out at the local gun shop they all had the same problems. So I hate to say it but I'm pretty happy with all my other FN products, but after this run around with them it maybe time to spend my money elsewhere.
I'm not saying I don't believe any of you because it's clearly a well documented issue. But I have NEVER seen this issue. I have one and a friend has both a 45 and 45t. Then the 5 or 6 we checked out the gun store.

It's just odd that it's so random.

Corey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts