FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new SCAR 17 and accessorized it with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 scope (MOA reticle) mounted with a Vortex 2-inch offset QR mount (made my ADM). Still waiting for my custom-made Savvy Sniper QUAD X COBRA sling...

So my question - after putting everything together, took it out to the range to zero in the scope. At 100 yards and the scope at center, shots were running very low (over a foot). I had to dial-up the elevation quite a bit to get it to zero. Very slight adjustment from right-left.. Once there, this thing is a DREAM! Sub-1" groups... Anyway, my issue is that even though the VIPER has a total of 86 MOA, I'm so far up the dial that I only have about 20 or so MOA left...

I called Vortex and they though maybe my barrel was slightly downward canted. The quick solution they provided was to replace the mount with an ADM-RECON-20, with 20 MOA built into the base. I can certainly do that but them I'm left a $200 mount that I won't be using...

Finally, to the question - is my barrel off? Could the top rail be off? Or do I just have to suck-it-up and buy a 20 MOA mount base in order to dial out to 800 yards?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I recently bought a new SCAR 17 and accessorized it with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 scope (MOA reticle) mounted with a Vortex 2-inch offset QR mount (made my ADM). Still waiting for my custom-made Savvy Sniper QUAD X COBRA sling...

So my question - after putting everything together, took it out to the range to zero in the scope. At 100 yards and the scope at center, shots were running very low (over a foot). I had to dial-up the elevation quite a bit to get it to zero. Very slight adjustment from right-left.. Once there, this thing is a DREAM! Sub-1" groups... Anyway, my issue is that even though the VIPER has a total of 86 MOA, I'm so far up the dial that I only have about 20 or so MOA left...

I called Vortex and they though maybe my barrel was slightly downward canted. The quick solution they provided was to replace the mount with an ADM-RECON-20, with 20 MOA built into the base. I can certainly do that but them I'm left a $200 mount that I won't be using...

Finally, to the question - is my barrel off? Could the top rail be off? Or do I just have to suck-it-up and buy a 20 MOA mount base in order to dial out to 800 yards?
removing the 4 barrel extension screws and retorquing to 62inch pounds on the 4 screws holding the barrel extension to the receiver might help. its possible they are uneven. i would try that first before buying a new mount. you should have an inch pound torque wrench anyway

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the exact same scope and mounted it in the 20 MOA base by ADM. I recommend it for long range. Good choice on that scope, and ADM mounts. You will love them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the exact same scope and mounted it in the 20 MOA base by ADM. I recommend it for long range. Good choice on that scope, and ADM mounts. You will love them.
I went ahead and ordered the AD-RECON w/20MOA offset... I'll give my Vortex mount to my son so he can use it on his SCAR 16. The ballistics on the 556 are such that he won't need the offset on the mount. I'm also going to get him the same VORTEX VIPER PST 2.5-10x44 scope. :?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is that amount of attitude really required?
Either you did not catch a thinly veiled attempt at humor, or you are a master yourself.

As an attitude is described as " the position of an aircraft or spacecraft determined by the relationship between its axes and a reference datum (as the horizon or a particular star)", and the projectile may be considered coincident to a spacecraft of sort as an object fired into space, I bow to a master and am in awe or beg forgiveness and will treat you as a humorless soul in the future...

Either way, I have always been happy with ADM mounts. And cheers. Let's all laugh a little more.

·
Registered
273 Posts
And now I will offer something I really hope is helpful as opposed to farting around.

I had a similar problem on a different gun. ADM 2" offset and a Trij 4X something. Took the scope (mount) off after sighting in. Put it back on. Shot completely different. If your handles are dialed down for friction too little or too much it is easy to get the ADM cocked up on the opposite side. It is not sitting down flat on the mount. After seating I can put it on and take it off at will and it returns to zero quite well. And stays within the adjustment of the scope very easily.

Since discovering that I have seen it happen several other times. Once on one of my guns and once on a friends.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either you did not catch a thinly veiled attempt at humor, or you are a master yourself.

As an attitude is described as " the position of an aircraft or spacecraft determined by the relationship between its axes and a reference datum (as the horizon or a particular star)", and the projectile may be considered coincident to a spacecraft of sort as an object fired into space, I bow to a master and am in awe or beg forgiveness and will treat you as a humorless soul in the future...

Either way, I have always been happy with ADM mounts. And cheers. Let's all laugh a little more.
:wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts