1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Yep, tons of businesses have created forms for trusts without having a law degree or using a lawyer. Most of them use Quicken to create the trust and just plug your names in.

If anyone is curious we actually paid a lawyer to draft our trust that we sell and have to pay royalties to use it. We didn't just cook it up in the backroom.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yep, tons of businesses have created forms for trusts without having a law degree or using a lawyer. Most of them use Quicken to create the trust and just plug your names in.

If anyone is curious we actually paid a lawyer to draft our trust that we sell and have to pay royalties to use it. We didn't just cook it up in the backroom.
Good to know. I have been thinking of getting a trust because it is a good thing to have anyways but also because Illinois might legalize suppressors and hopefully that lets us do trusts instead of individual filings.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I used a generic fill in trust I got from someone else... 6 approvals with no hang ups ;)
There have been lot's of people that safely crossed a minefield too. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
That's good to know. Mine had coffee stains on it along with what looked like a doodle of Lincoln riding a buffalo.
Kidding. Eight stamps, no issue.

The stuff about 41P leaves me feeling pretty hopeful. I have three more things I hope to get done with my trust. That May 15th date was starting to make me a little nervous. Truth be told, I hope it is scrapped entirely...but you just never know.

Reactions: 713HoustonTX

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We used a lawyer and it was easily worth every penny for our own peace of mind. Also, we have called him 2 or 3 times and he took the time to answer our questions.

James Willi, he is in Austin and we got his info from Silencer Shop website.

We could have saved money by going the other route but in the end, the extra $$$ was well worth it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lawyers recommending to use their services?

You know what most politicians are?

Do you trust politicians or lawyers?
I don't really think I would try to remove a tumor from myself even with great directions. Some doctors are politicians. If I remember correctly the last medical treatment commercial I saw was promoted by doctors. Just saying. Good try though. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Shap

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
All I would say about a 'backroom' trust - (and I have one and have used it extensively for my NFA toys) I will go back to have it amended / and done by legal counsel to ensure my kids/survivors that I want to ensure do in fact ... get my toys/cannot be sold after I pass.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't really think I would try to remove a tumor from myself even with great directions. Some doctors are politicians. If I remember correctly the last medical treatment commercial I saw was promoted by doctors. Just saying. Good try though. :mrgreen:
Surgery and writing what is a simple legal document, honestly comparable...

Any fool can make something more complicated.

"Of House members, 37 percent — 160 people — will be lawyers in 2015. So will 53 percent of senators. In the last Congress, 39 percent of the House members were lawyers, along with 57 percent of U.S. senators."

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I could not agree more with this sentiment, there's more to lawyering than simply plugging in names in a form document, the unique case law for each state and each issue that comes up is not known by the average citizen, I don't practice in the area of estates and trusts but I know enough attorneys that do, I'm a biased observer on this topic but I would say that just because a lay person feels uncomfortable wielding a scalpel doesn't mean a lay person can all of a sudden perform equal or near-equal work that an attorney can accomplish. I see far too many people come into court without attorneys thinking they can talk their way out of criminal legal problems. Although they may be over-confident, they cannot do the job of qualified, credentialed attorneys, regardless of the fact that they can produce words out of their mouths just as qualified, credentialed attorneys can do.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Surgery and writing what is a simple legal document, honestly comparable...

Any fool can make something more complicated.

"Of House members, 37 percent — 160 people — will be lawyers in 2015. So will 53 percent of senators. In the last Congress, 39 percent of the House members were lawyers, along with 57 percent of U.S. senators."
Ok. Why don't just let those pesky ATF guys know that. I'm not so sure they are aware of that. Hence the info in the article. Do you give free tax advice too? :p

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Be smart about your choice of trusts and you can get one setup very inexpensively even if it is created from scratch by your own personal lawyer or if you purchase a "form" version as long as it was "designed" for your state that was drawn up by a trust/estate lawyer.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ok. Why don't just let those pesky ATF guys know that. I'm not so sure they are aware of that. Hence the info in the article. Do you give free tax advice too? :p
You mean those pesky ATF LAWYERS that are creating problems like 41P in the first place?

Or that pesky lawyer in the White House that's creating problems the likes of which we have never seen?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I got a chuckle out of this! So true.
I feel that hiring a lawyer is like owning a gun or buying insurance. You don't think you need one until you need one, and then it's too late.
I've had some experience in court and i can tell you, every penny spent on a lawyer was well spent, even if only for the sole purpose of keeping me from saying something stupid.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You mean those pesky ATF LAWYERS that are creating problems like 41P in the first place?

Or that pesky lawyer in the White House that's creating problems the likes of which we have never seen?
I agree with everything you said about politicians and lawyers being the scum (not to insult scum) of the Earth. That does not change the fact that the ATF said the biggest hold up and slowdown of the form process is caused by people that did their own $%^&ing trusts!!!!!!!! You think the ATF "LAWYERS" are pimping business for civilian lawyers now? Do you think they get paid commission for referrals???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts