FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's face it, the 5 7 is NOT a small gun. The size may make it prohibitive for many to carry. But it is incredibly light for a gun its size. Especially for a gun with so much firepower. At 7 ozs a pop, fully loaded mags are so light, it is pretty simple to tote around an extra mag or two. This gives the carrier 41 or 61 rounds on tap. A 5 7 mag loaded with 20 rounds weighs half as much as a Glock 17 mag with 17 rounds.

Just wondering who else uses their 5 7 for everyday carry? I live in South Florida and wear shorts and a T Shirt 365 days a year. Much to my surprise I have found it very easy to carry this gun daily wearing the same outfits I would wear even if I was not carrying.

I have several holsters for my 5 7. A Ebay kydex IWB, an Alien Gear IWB, and a Tucker Gunleather custom Cover Up Plus IWB. After much experimentation I find I like the Tucker Cover up the best. It is the least bulky, and adjustable for cant and ride height.

I decided I would like to have an option for OWB carry as well. So I ordered a Mernickle a high-ride P6 custom carry for my 5 7 as well. I figure I can conceal an OWB holster just as easy, especially a high riding one. I just thought it would be nice not to have a gun stuffed inside my pants some of the time :)

What do you guys use for carry? Here are mine...

Here is my Cover Up Plus model that Tucker Gunleather made for me. It ran $105. Thus far my favorite way to carry my 5 7. Been using it daily for about 7 months now.

IMG_0858_zpsbap3osnh.jpg

IMG_0859_zpspkpqito3.jpg

Here is the Alien Gear which I find a little too bulky. Price is great at $40. While you can adjust for height, the cant is fixed.

IMG_0856_zpsdilrhgxu.jpg

Ebay Kydex No Brand holster. Works fine for an inexpensive holster ($45). Pretty much straight drop only and lacks cant and height adjustment.

IMG_0857_zps2vzls3pl.jpg

This is the Mernickle P6 I am waiting for. Just the holster, not the belt or carrier. The holster alone was $139. Looking forward to trying it out. I think it looks very cool. Lots of finishes to choose from. It rides very high! In addition to the belt loops, it has a leather paddle on the inside that tucks in between your belt and pants that keeps the top of the gun from tipping out and away from your body. People seem to love these holsters.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm fortunate to live in an open carry state, so I generally carry my FsN in a Blackhawk Serpa ( I have a USG model)....On the occasion that I am going to conceal, and I'm a little guy (5'6"--150#) I use a Tagua with thumb break strap...at the 4 o'clock position, with a loose shirt over it. It's comfortable enough to drive around town without removing it while driving. Just as good as a Galco, but half the price....really nice leather.

Reactions: macman1138

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a cheap BlackHawk IWB holster which works fine. There are times were I need to sit and stand several times during an hour and an IWB at any position isn't very comfortable so I have the FiveSeven and IWB holster in my dress slack pocket. Yes, there's a bulge but it looks like a tablet phone. Only, I"m only 5'5".

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use mine about 50% of the time. Would be more if it had night sights on it.

I carry mine in either a IWB kydex holster or an OWB paddle holster. The more I wear OWB holsters, the more I like them. Yes, there is signs that something is there, if you are looking for it, but it doesn't scream gun either. No one even looks to even notice. Even my FNX 45T with RMR and light/laser doesn't get noticed.

Concealment is more then just a gun and holster. It's the whole package. The clothes you wear, how you look, the way you act, the way you move, and your attitude.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love the DL Bullard Bodyguard OWB holster. Just bought a 5.7 and checked their website and they had one ready to ship, came in today. Fits perfect. I'm a big guy 260 six foot so can carry OWB under an Aloha shirt, hoodie, whatever.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kind of like a Mexican but other times, just in my pocket (dress slacks...and it's kind of like having a large cell phone). I have a cheapo Uncle Mikes holder that works surprisingly well for Five Seven....even better than my Blade Tech holster (and the Five Seven and FNX 45 fit perfectly in the Blade Tech).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well here is my Mernickle P6 Concealed Carry Performance Series OWB holster that just showed up today:
Mernickle Custom Holsters - Performance Series

It is designed to ride high and nice and tight into the body. And it indeed works as advertised. In fact, much better than any other high-ride OWB holster I have ever tried with any gun. I'm very impressed!

It is also a beautiful design I selected. It was $130 and worth every penny. This will be my new main carry holster for my every day carry Five Seven.

I live in South Florida and I wear shorts and a button up short sleeve shirt most every day. So it is easy for me to carry OWB. But when I wear a regular T Shirt or Tank Top I will carry IWB in my Tucker Gunleather Cover Up Plus pictured above:

·
Registered
193 Posts
technically you aren't really supposed to wear braces with a belt.
The suspenders are partly for the look but mostly help those who have a lot in their pockets, or at work sites and have tools on their belt. For that they have more weight-reisitant suspenders.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The suspenders are partly for the look but mostly help those who have a lot in their pockets, or at work sites and have tools on their belt. For that they have more weight-reisitant suspenders.
icic. so then its all good if they are actually serving a purpose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One advantage to being 330 pounds is that the FiveseveN disappears into the front pocket of a pair of size 52 Wrangler cargo pants! I CAN belt carry it if I need too, but it's kind of sweet to be browsing aisles at Vons with a full size 5s7 in my pocket.
What many may not have considered is that other than the sights, the gun is baby smooth when it comes to drawing from a pocket!

I discovered a few years back the technique of wearing suspenders UNDER my shirts to hold my pants up, only to find it makes concealed carry of "heavy" guns VERY easy! The 5s7 is plenty light, but the suspenders make pocket carry of anything under 30 ounces totally easy.

No, it won't conceal that way with a 30 round mag.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I carry my FiveseveN daily, I wear a Duluth Trading Polo Shirt with suspenders (Perry Clip type) under the Polo. My belt is a 5.11 Tactical Operator Belt.

The reason for the Duluth Trading Polo is it's a fairly heavy weight fabric that doesn't "print" too badly compared to other shirts.

The holster is an IWB Kydex by FiveSevenRedDot.

I can conceal my FiveseveN fairly easily and comfortably.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts