FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent to me by a Good Friend. Hope it's not a repeat post.
I thought it was interesting.

Do you have a gun in your House? When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that if I did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit. FYI, I am passing this along...there are comments from two other people that have also been asked if they keep guns in the house. The nurse just kind of slipped it in along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask.
Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else. Just passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house? My answer was None of your business!! So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention.
Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!!
Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...Thanks, from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not, YOU"VE BEEN WARNED ! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Great post with alot of good info.

What a shame that gun owners are being harassed.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've seen this before, but it's always worth re-posting.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
This has been going on for a while now. Once Obamacare assimilates everyones medical records, their end game is if you have admitted to having a firearm in your home and the doctor has prescribed any type of drug meant to treat a mental disorder even simple depression then your record will get flagged and you will end up in the NICS database and denied future firearm purchases. It could even mean forfeiture or confiscation of existing weapons.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Isn't a refusal to answer just the same as admitting you do?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The topic has been covered just a few times.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Can they do anything if you lie and say "No, I have no guns."? I'm sure they'll just put an x-large check mark right next to the "Yes" box for anyone who answers "None of your business!!"

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think the last time this came up someone said "No but I have a big one in my pants" If I recall that was Del.

To answer the question anytime someone asks. No I dont own "a" gun.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
In military physical exams, all those questions are standard. All consultations with military physicians will prompt the same inquiries about your state of mind. Much of it is about suicide prevention. General violence prevention is also of interest. The ramifications of having a bad day are now so far reaching that I always am having a GREAT day when interacting with the docs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been going to the local VA hospital and various VA clinics for about 2 years now, and not one single person has ever mentioned, asked, or hinted as to whether I do or do not own any firearms. I can't recall being grilled as to my state of mind either, as in "Do I feel like hurting myself, or someone else?", etc. All in all, my VA visits and treatment have been excellent, and I certainly have never felt that my privacy was being invaded.

But...should the day come where some medical practitioner, or for that matter...anyone, should ask me if I own any firearms, my first response will be, "How is that relevant to the matter at hand?" Then, after hearing what I can only surmise will be their inadequate reply, I'll tell them I fail to see how it's any of their business. As far as it being a "safety" concern, I'd ask them why they weren't quizzing me about what chemicals might be in my home, or what hand tools, or power tools, or various other objects that could be equally hazardous to my "safety"?

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I think that a lot must depend on where your Doctor or VA clinic is located. I am in the South and have never been asked about Gun ownership. However, I was asked one time about PTSD symptoms on a visit to my VA Clinic. Never asked again.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I work the medical field, I see this and hear about these questions all the time. My simple take-- if it is illegal for them to ask, then it is not legal/ necessary for you to be truth full.

a simple question when asked, and replied to by another question or aggression, or a defiant stance is going to set off red flags!!! The scorer can answer any way they want, they may even flag you for avoiding the question and your response as they are taught to do for crisis management. Especially if your there with a complaint about stress, mental health, the blues or anything remotely possible harm to yourself or others.

A simple no- sounds like everyone else's no. Furthermore-- if you do answer, and you forget what your answer, or answer in any way that prompts further questions-- it is all written down. All medical documents are to be converted to e- files by2012.
Yep they keep delaying the date but it slowly they are changing them all. We just went all digital. That means your records are out there and that is called de-facto registration. Now if you said no, and you always say no-- no problem. But when some of your records say yes, some say no, and your saying no-- you may be up to something, or at the least they want to make sure your not a risk to your self or others-- others being people in your house.

In the short, no -- is simply, easy to remember, consistent, and does not require further evaluation. But of course always follow the law and be safe!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I would just respond... "Are you crazy???" That why your not answering the question, they will assume, that you don't.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Oh, then they can't say you were lieing to them, since you really didn't answer the question.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I would just respond... "Are you crazy???" That why your not answering the question, they will assume, that you don't.

Hahahahahah --what are you crazy? Who in their right mind would have guns running around their home--they might get angry and kill someone-- plus aren't they covered in black magic or evil or something -- doc?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Oh, then they can't say you were lieing to them, since you really didn't answer the question.

Or or you could say-- if they ever asked you why you lied --- actually doc I don't remember saying I had a gun or not-- I was feeling bad that day and I don't remember-- sorry! Worked for Reagan!!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Dear Mods, Is there any reason in particular my response to this thread was completely erased and had to relog-in ? Was my reply, opinion out of line or was this just a tech glitch ? THANK YOU !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts